Timmy vs Klon

What's Hot
jonnygreentreesjonnygreentrees Frets: 678
So just built a Timmy clone and prefer it to my Rockett Archer as a low gain overdrive. The Archer just sounds a bit congested in comparison to the Timmy almost like there's a slight notch filter on it. Anyone else found this?

Thinking about making a JHS Morning Glory next, interested in how that sounds at low gain too...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Timmy works better as an OD, Klon is better as a boost - for me, anyway. I also think the tone control of the Klon is a bit strange, and it's exacerbated the higher you move the gain. I think there are "better" examples of boosts and neutral drives out there, but they both have their place and are certainly very popular.

I really liked the Morning Glory, more in the Timmy camp than a Klon. It's quite like a mix of a Timmy and a Sweet Honey OD. I like it with the gain maxed, which isn't very high gain at all, just nicely gritty.
  • jonnygreentreesjonnygreentrees Frets: 678
    edited July 2016
    JDE said:
    Timmy works better as an OD, Klon is better as a boost - for me, anyway. I also think the tone control of the Klon is a bit strange, and it's exacerbated the higher you move the gain. I think there are "better" examples of boosts and neutral drives out there, but they both have their place and are certainly very popular.

I really liked the Morning Glory, more in the Timmy camp than a Klon. It's quite like a mix of a Timmy and a Sweet Honey OD. I like it with the gain maxed, which isn't very high gain at all, just nicely gritty.

Thanks for the input! Going to try the Klon as a boost in place of my SHO for a while, see how it works in that role. My mid gain overdrive is actually an Uber Bee so I think I will definitely try making a Morning Glory Clone. 

Out of interest what are your favourite low gain drives?
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Bearfoot Honey Bee, CTC Stardust Blackface (actually has lots of gain available, but I liked it best as a low-gainer), Durham Sex Drive and Zia Drive, Menatone Workingman's Blue and Red Snapper, Hudson Electronics Broadcast (it's technically a preamp, I spose, but lots of gain available, sounds excellent low gain), Mad Prof Sweet Honey, Zvex BOR. Haha, I hate myself.

I've changed amps around a lot, and some of these work much better with some amps than others, but overall, these were the ones I have bought more than once, lol.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 624
    I've recently picked up a Barber Gain Changer which is nice as a low gain drive although it covers higher gain too
  • Beexter;1138566" said:
    I've recently picked up a Barber Gain Changer which is nice as a low gain drive although it covers higher gain too
    I used you have a barber ltd which I still regret selling!
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8230
    The Timmy is nice enough, very clear and uncompressed. You can make out single string definition within a chord, which I liked. The Klon I like the bump in the low mids, I run it minimum gain just over unity. It's muddy if you use the gain.

My favourite OD for Blackface Fenders was the Sweet Baby. Tweedy, I preferred a modded tube screamer, and Voxy amps, I preferred the Barber Burn unit (with Klon stacked), and bit of a treble bump from another boost.

I run a variety of OD's, boosts, fuzzes, and delays. Very little modulation.

Thinking of getting a compressor for 70's/80's Rock, but with flexibility for clean work.

Best all round OD? Probably the Barber Burn Unit, it like to be goosed a bit, very flexible. Just too damn big.

Marlin
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14034
    I use the Archer for it's huge volume, to push the front of the amp as a boost. I just add a little of the gain to thicken tone and add mids to taste, but rarely add a lot. The inbuilt gain of the Archer does have a mid honk to it when the gain is increased but this can be a good thing at times. As a boost in front of an amp just breaking up it is superb and blends with the amps natural drive in a very pleasing way, better than any other drive pedal I have used.

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 3038
    tFB Trader
    Have you tried Klon into Timmy? Loved a Zen into one which also has bass shelved and some mids thing going on.
    The only thing I didn't like about the Timmy was the treble could get a bit harsh, and I like drives with character so moved it on. Great pedal for stacking though.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    The Archer just sounds a bit congested in comparison to the Timmy almost like there's a slight notch filter on it. Anyone else found this?

Yes. Timmy all day long for me.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4687
    yep, id say stack them for the best sound
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    How about a Marshall Bluesbreaker clone or modded clone, other than the JHS Morning Glory?

Production version wise, the VFE Blues King or that Mooer clone.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• Ro_S said:
    How about a Marshall Bluesbreaker clone or modded clone, other than the JHS Morning Glory?

Production version wise, the VFE Blues King or that Mooer clone.
    Most keen on the King of Tone or Morning Glory and I can build both
  • This is not helping with my Timmy gas!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22734
    No time at all for Klons. Have you tried running the Timmy at 12v? More headroom = less congestion. 

Then build a Tim because they're even better :)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1801
    @jonnygreentrees did you build the Timmy from a kit? I'm interested in building one (and not just because it's my name!)
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • BigMonka said:
    @jonnygreentrees did you build the Timmy from a kit? I'm interested in building one (and not just because it's my name!)
    yeah I used the Fuzzdog kit, piece of piss if you can solder!
  • No time at all for Klons. Have you tried running the Timmy at 12v? More headroom = less congestion. 

Then build a Tim because they're even better :)
    ooh sounds interesting, will give it a go
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8230
    jonnygreentrees;1140261" said:
    BigMonka said:

Which kit is the Tim/Timmy?
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31371
    I've tried both the Klon and the Timmy. IMO there is much better out there...@thorpyfx peacekeeper for one, Cornish ST2 or CC1 too. And Tim is always better than a Timmy.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• TheMarlin said:
    jonnygreentrees;1140261" said:
    BigMonka said:

Which kit is the Tim/Timmy?
    The Candyman