Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Composition Challenge #1 "Malian Desert Blues"

What's Hot

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27426
    Well it is in off topic to encourage people that don't hang about in the other parts of the forum to get involved in music making really so I would quite like it to stay here personally. But I agree there should be a music a making section.

As for time scales I was going to originally do it every 3 months so I could change it back to that
    OT is quite busy - this thread will get lost in 2 days.

But I agree with the sentiment of getting more people involved.

2 mins of Malian-influenced something-or-other might not be the best encouragement though.  It's a bit adventurous for a first challenge.  Personally, I'd be more inclined to go with something more mainstream, and make it easier for more people to jump in.

And yes to the 3 month timescale.

And I really hope that this works out ...
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks TTony, don't worry I will keep bumping it ha ha!

Enough people have expressed interest in the Malian challenge for me to think it will work.

OK I shall move to a three month timescale and edit the first post.

Thanks
    Old Is Gold
  • Antique_GuitarsAntique_Guitars Frets: 1167
    edited January 2014
    I think some people are expecting that they have to produce 2 minutes of concert grade Malian music but in reality its not about that at all, it about giving it a go and testing yourself/experiencing new music. The outcome could be anything!
    Old Is Gold
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    can you move this back now seriously the whole point is that its in off topic so that people see it is there and that people who only post on off topic or guitars can see it.

As Fretwired said all the other competitions fizzle out and that i because they are in a sub section that not many people will read!
    It really won't work down here .. people will get fed up with you bumping it. Maybe a sticky at the top .. without a dedicated section this won't work. We don't have one now. People will want to ask questions, will need help etc and many of the real musos don't visit off topic. It may have most posts but basically it just a small group of people talking bollocks. I hang out on other forums that do this and they all have dedicated music creation and production sections. This will just die down here ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • I would go for a sticky at the top!

The problem with this forum is that the music expert people are small in number to the off topic people and we have to go to them as they will not go to a music creation sub forum.

However as I said I do 100% support the creation of a sub forum like that.
    Old Is Gold
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I would go for a sticky at the top!

The problem with this forum is that the music expert people are small in number to the off topic people and we have to go to them as they will not go to a music creation sub forum.

However as I said I do 100% support the creation of a sub forum like that.
    A dedicated section [please mods] will probably attract new people interested in music creation and production rather than discussing whether feminism is bad for men ... :-)

That would get my vote ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Antique_GuitarsAntique_Guitars Frets: 1167
    edited January 2014
    I agree that there should be a music creation section, but at the moment not that many would use it and it would always be the same people. Like I said I am trying to encourage people that don't usually participate to come forward, and posting in a sub forum that will mostly be inhabited by experienced musicians will probably scare people off.

I think that section should be made and after a while if it starts to kick off then I would think about moving this thread there, but not at the moment. Exposure is key at the moment and pretty much most people visit off topic a little bit.
    Old Is Gold
  • Not sure what the mods have done there but I like it! its a good idea and compromise.
    Old Is Gold
    How about ...

Under the "Playing" section, we create a sub-section, called "Making Music".
    In that section, you keep the rules for the challenge stickied at the top.  You can then have as many Q&A discussions as you like.  
    When the challenge ends, the thread is unstickied, and a new sticky replaces it for the new challenge.

You can plug the challenge in as many other sections as you like, as often as you like, in as many different ways as you like ... Without gettingin the way of the serious chat about the challenge itself.

@Fretwired is right ... Anyone reading OT is generally in OT to *avoid* music-related chat.  It might look busy, it *is* busy, but it might not be the best place to generate interest and participation in the challenge.

I really do want the challenge to succeed.  I'd love for the forum to be supporting, enabling, encouraging this sort of thing.

• TTony said:
    How about ...

Under the "Playing" section, we create a sub-section, called "Making Music".
    In that section, you keep the rules for the challenge stickied at the top.  You can then have as many Q&A discussions as you like.  
    When the challenge ends, the thread is unstickied, and a new sticky replaces it for the new challenge.

You can plug the challenge in as many other sections as you like, as often as you like, in as many different ways as you like ... Without gettingin the way of the serious chat about the challenge itself.

@Fretwired is right ... Anyone reading OT is generally in OT to *avoid* music-related chat.  It might look busy, it *is* busy, but it might not be the best place to generate interest and participation in the challenge.

I really do want the challenge to succeed.  I'd love for the forum to be supporting, enabling, encouraging this sort of thing.
    OK deal! that way people get their making music sub forum as well. I will then just post a link in Off Topic so that people know it is there as I know a lot of people are still off with their families at the moment.
    Old Is Gold
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    I avoid OT most of the time, probably not the only one
    Red ones are better. 
    I'll sort it in the morning, if that's still the agreed approach.

You'll need to keep the new sub-section busy though.  If it goes dormant, it'll be culled.  

(I didn't mean that to sound like a threat, btw!  More an incitement for more ideas about doing proper stuff via the forum ... Maybe some collaborations could be kicked off?)

I'm also thinking that theFB funds should (at least) contribute towards prize costs, particularly if we can make the challenges popular.  Though I'll run that past my fellow admins first.

• TTony said:

You'll need to keep the new sub-section busy though.  If it goes dormant, it'll be culled.  

(I didn't mean that to sound like a threat, btw!  More an incitement for more ideas about doing proper stuff via the forum ... Maybe some collaborations could be kicked off?)

I'm also thinking that theFB funds should (at least) contribute towards prize costs, particularly if we can make the challenges popular.  Though I'll run that past my fellow admins first.
    Sounds good Captain
    Old Is Gold
  • OK, I have my main riff and melody sorted. Just need to get the camel to join in now! ;)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • OK, I have my main riff and melody sorted. Just need to get the camel to join in now! ;)
    excellent good job squire, remember you have a month less now then when it was first posted we are on a 3 month turnaround now.
    Old Is Gold
  • That's OK, the other challenges I take part in are 2 weeks, and I usually end up doing it all in the last two days anyway ;)
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Me too. I'm keen to have a go but whatever I do it won't take me long. I have the attention span of a goldfish.
  • Never heard of the genre, but it'll be a laugh.  I'll hopefully have a microphone in a month or so, so I'll start listening to some stuff tonight!
  • Some helpful vids

Old Is Gold

TTony said:

Sounds good Captain
    @Antique_Guitars.

Done.

Now, use it or lose it ...