The home built and partscaster appreciation thread

What's Hot

Comments

• Got most of these bits from @CasperCaster .
    American Special body & trem.
    Full guard & electrics from a Lonestar strat. 
    Aftermarket neck with vintage style tuners. 
    Bit of nitro (& tint) from a couple of spray cans.
    Sounds great, plays fab and is lots of fun to gig. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 1971
    How easy would it be to do a partscaster with a Floyd? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2010
    edited December 2016
    Here are mine (most of them, anyway).

First up, the original Denecaster. Body was a piece of African walnut bought off ebay, shaped and routed by my me, Dr Parts neck, a loaded Wilkinson pickguard, hardware from Axetec. Finished with Danish oil.

The Telecaster - multi-piece alder body from ebay, Dr Parts neck, Iron Gear pick ups and other hardware from Axetec. Nitro finish on the body.

Next, the green partstrat. Three-piece swamp ash body from guitarbuild.co.uk, Mighty Mite neck, Oil City Texas Blues pick ups, more Axetec hardware. Wudtone staining, but I can't remember what kind.

Next, the Les Dennis mark II. A Kitbuiltguitars.co.uk kit - multi-piece mahogany body with a flamed maple top, maple neck and Iron Gear Rolling Mill pick ups, a Jeremy Charles vintage-style wiring kit and further Axetec hardware. Wudtone Black Magic Woman on the top, Tru-oil on the back.

I have another kitbuiltguitars kit, a PRS style one, that I haven't fully completed because I'm not happy with the way the finish has come out. I'll put pics of that up when I get the chance.

The green partstrat and the Les Dennis II have been finished in Wudtone, but honestly, I'm not happy - I thought the Black Magic Woman would have been a much blacker black and the green one was supposed to be midnight blue, but hey ho.
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    2reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Squier Strat body, Kavanaugh reverse neck, iron gear pickups - a dirty torque and a rolling mill.  It's pretty rough and ready, the upside down headstock confuses punters but it turns out it's very giggable and sounds pretty good.

What? WHAT? Why are you giggling...
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• What? WHAT? Why are you giggling...
    "upside down headstock"...*snork* :D
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • Here's mine. 
    TruOil Ash body, maple neck, Wilkinson brass bridge, homemade pickguard and FortyNiner pickup with Eldred Esquire harness (both from OilCity). 
    Despite being made on a very tight budget I love this guitar- I've sold many more expensive instruments since getting it. 

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b625/stimpsonslostson/Mobile Uploads/IMG_20161215_180815315_zpsk8ojk3rs.jpg

• The two I currently have. The Strat is an MJT body with Fender Eric Johnson neck with Callaham, Fatboy and Oil City bits. The orange beastie has a Mighty Mite body, Musikraft neck with Floyd Rose original and BK VH2 pickup. The finish, Floyd install, neck pocket work and assembly were done by @wezv of this parish.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• ewalewal Frets: 2558
    edited December 2016
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • @ewal very cool
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    edited January 16
    Here's #1 - body parts from the now defunct Monster Relics (via Mojo)

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    My 3. A bit rough and ready, but fun to play:

so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    Hosco mahogany double bound Tele body finished in Cherry Crimson Stunning Stain and wipe on Poly. Routed the neck pocket to take the P90.
    Mighty Mite Strat Vee neck, modified heel to fit Tele pocket, black headstock.
    Iron Gear neck P90.
    Mojo Lap Steel at the bridge.
    Mojo loom.
    Jazz Bass knobs
    Wilkinson compensated half bridge....

Turned owt nice...

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii21/paulnb57/image_zpscuhbigof.jpeg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii21/paulnb57/image_zpsyr5xpnsy.jpeg

http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii21/paulnb57/image_zpsvjrwula0.jpeg

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Some great stuff here. Can't believe I missed this thread first time around. 

My own frankenstein Strat. Started as a Squier standard and got modded with umpteen necks, pickups, bridges etc but it's coming up 4 years since it last changed which is the longest it's ever been stable. Squier body, Fender CP60's neck & tuners, Callaham trem, the massively-underrated and completely brilliant Rio Grande Mid-bottom pickups, Rothwell Hot Little Knob and a fatboy relic mint guard.

Frankenstein Stratocaster

It's a bit ratty around the trem routes front and back but nothing major. 

Bridge cavity damage

Strat Tremolo

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Aand the Cabronita... Another Callaham bridge with TV Jones pickups. Bound thinline with no f-holes and a rosewood fretboard makes it pretty much a one-off apart from maybe one other I've seen online.

Cabronita Detail-1

Cabronita-5

And last but by no means least, my Jazzmaster. Inca Silver body by MJT, bound musikraft neck, staytrem bridge, Mojo pickups and an original '64-ish pickguard. It's absolutely spectacular.

Inca Silver

Jazzmaster

Jazzmaster

Closeup

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    Sorry folks, it's the walnut strat again - noticed that my first post on this thread doesn't include it, because it didn't exist. So just to bring things up to date:

:)
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 499
    Here are all 3 of mine.
    In age order from left to right.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • FatPeteFatPete Frets: 683
    This thread is a bit quiet, so apologies if I'm necroposting, but I can't see anywhere better to put this. Here's the first of my partscasters - not actually the first I put together, but @TTony was nice about a pic of it I posted in someone else's thread so I might as well start here...

Guitarbuild swamp ash body, Warmoth canary/pau ferro neck, old parts drawer EMG 89.

The scratchplate I bought didn't line up with the pickup route, so I cut the sucker up - deciding that if I didn't like it I could always get another full plate, but never got round to changing it.

Wudtone surfer girl with silver highlights

Recessed spring cover (not that there are any springs) and battery box

Logo laser cut in acrylic by an ebay seller who mainly does things for wedding cakes etc

Those of you with sharp eyes will have noticed that it's a 12 string, but the body was routed for a standard Strat trem. To convert it I just made a block from some ash left over from a kitchen worktop. I wanted the conversion to be reversible, so the block is just held up against the trem routing lip by the string tension of the 6 through-body strings (oh, and 2 large screws). The curved end is visible below the bridge, but not very.

Set up by @SteveRobinson, it plays insanely well for a 12, and the EMG seems to suit the application very well.

Trading feedback: Trading feedback
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3129
    FatPete said:
    This thread is a bit quiet, so apologies if I'm necroposting, but I can't see anywhere better to put this. Here's the first of my partscasters - not actually the first I put together, but @TTony was nice about a pic of it I posted in someone else's thread so I might as well start here...

Guitarbuild swamp ash body, Warmoth canary/pau ferro neck, old parts drawer EMG 89.

The scratchplate I bought didn't line up with the pickup route, so I cut the sucker up - deciding that if I didn't like it I could always get another full plate, but never got round to changing it.

Wudtone surfer girl with silver highlights

Recessed spring cover (not that there are any springs) and battery box

Logo laser cut in acrylic by an ebay seller who mainly does things for wedding cakes etc

Those of you with sharp eyes will have noticed that it's a 12 string, but the body was routed for a standard Strat trem. To convert it I just made a block from some ash left over from a kitchen worktop. I wanted the conversion to be reversible, so the block is just held up against the trem routing lip by the string tension of the 6 through-body strings (oh, and 2 large screws). The curved end is visible below the bridge, but not very.

Set up by @SteveRobinson, it plays insanely well for a 12, and the EMG seems to suit the application very well.

Love that colour dude, wicked stuff.
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    edited October 2017
    I love that black Les Dennis.

I've given up trying to ID this so can only conclude someone wanted to make their own Jackson Soloist. 

https://imgur.com/a/k0mI1