Washing machine no power - any experts got any ideas?

sev112sev112 Frets: 2988
No power, no lights at all today
no obvious precursor

checked fuse; removed drain and removed a single 20p coin
still no signs of life

any experts, or anyone had similar

(it's a whirlpool, about 5 years old)
thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1820
    Has it got a thermal cutout reset button? I'm not sure about washing machines but my old tumble drier had one under a cover at the back - it would occasionally trip if it had to work particularly hard for some reason.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • Is the plug turned on?
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5424
    edited July 2016
    No seriously... Mine sometimes bounces in the spin cycle & somehow turns the plug off! 

Took me AGES to work out why it was randomly cutting out. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2988
    Yes, checked the plugs, central fuse board, wall panel etc
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    Have you got a multimeter? Check it there's power getting through to the control board or the program selector. If there isn't you can trace it back towards the plug. Otherwise it gets a lot more more complex. 
    Yeah, am drawing the conclusion that with a call out charge parts and labour, am thinking a trip to. John Lewis.com coming this afternoon
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25599
    If you have a multimeter, you'd probably know what to look for.  Totally dead machines are almost always the easiest to fix.  Trouble is, you obviously don't know how to check, otherwise you wouldn't be asking here and getting someone in to check will cost.  However - it will cost a lot less than a new machine.

Personally, I'd get someone in to look at it.  Odds are you'll save money and if the machine is totally buggered - e.g. a stupidly overpriced control board, then you'll have to get a new machine and suck up the cost of the repair call-out charge.

It's a gamble you have to decide on.  I think the odds are in favour of a repair myself.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    Ta guys. The mrs is tracking down someone we've used before and we've identified some deals in John Lewis