Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What exactly is Jeremy Corbyn's plan?

What's Hot

Comments

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 23145
    edited August 2016
    I also think it will further reduce his "approval ratings", and therefore reduce votes significantly in the next general election
    it will be a great stick to beat him with,  what a dummy.
    Does he even know what a commuter is?
     I don't know anyone who commutes from London to Newcastle at 11am 

He's been a London MP for years: I imagine he knows what a commuter is. 

And just because you don't know anyone doesn't mean they don't exist. Unicorns on the other hand do not exist and so won't be seen on a London to Newcastle train. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6287
    Corbyn is just embarrassing now, really. Are these people so far removed from reality, the public in general, that they think they can carry on like this?

Yes.

Polticians: all of them are berks, and I honestly think that applies to the lot.

They do not appear to have a clue.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2016
    Snap said:
    Corbyn is just embarrassing now, really. Are these people so far removed from reality, the public in general, that they think they can carry on like this?

Yes.

Polticians: all of them are berks, and I honestly think that applies to the lot.

They do not appear to have a clue.
    Not all of them are idiots. Andrew Tyrie is a superb MP who seldom ends up in the newspapers. MP's in the media is like bands in NME 20 years ago: build them up, knock them down. A disgraced politician story sells far more copies than stories of good people doing a good job in the public sector. You're not going to see the Mail with a front page praising the Treasury Select Committee but you will see the Mail publishing a story with no evidence about a Prime Minister fucking a pig. 

Corbyn politically comes from the past. His campaign is trying to hook up old-school union picket mentality with modern online social justice thinking, utilising fairly amateur inexperienced people to do it. It's a form of DIY PR, the absolute opposite to the like of Saatchi & Saatchi. Fuck ups like this are inevitable. It's almost the antithesis of the Campbell spin years. 

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5059
    Looks like JC might have friends in high places... divine retribution?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37198354

• randellarandella Frets: 4713
    edited August 2016
    Not all of them are idiots. Andrew Tyrie is a superb MP who seldom ends up in the newspapers. MP's in the media is like bands in NME 20 years ago: build them up, knock them down. A disgraced politician story sells far more copies than stories of good people doing a good job in the public sector. You're not going to see the Mail with a front page praising the Treasury Select Committee but you will see the Mail publishing a story with no evidence about a Prime Minister fucking a pig. 

Corbyn politically comes from the past. His campaign is trying to hook up old-school union picket mentality with modern online social justice thinking, utilising fairly amateur inexperienced people to do it. It's almost a form of DIY PR, the absolute opposite to the like of Saatchi & Saatchi. Fuck ups like this are inevitable. It's almost the antithesis of the Campbell spin years. 

@Heartfeltdawn ;;

Appreciating the balance your posts are adding to this thread. It's not changing my opinion of JC, but it's nice to get a bit of nuance in between the bile (95% of it mine :) )
    @randella Thanks. I'm certainly not pro-Corbyn to the point of being one of the few hecklers at his Bristol rally :D I think he makes some very valid points about the situations of many workers in this country and his championing of the NHS is good but the doubts really aren't so much about his leadership per se. He isn't a great leader, he is a decent speaker on issues but not a leader. The real problem is that I don't believe that there is anyone out there for Labour who could unite all the strands of the party right now. Far too much squabbling going on. Labour now are where the Tories were at the end of the Major era. 

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12248
    Nitefly said:

more likely Branson further outmaneuvering JC 
    Nitefly said:

more likely Branson further outmaneuvering JC 

Only to be outfoxed by the process known as "twilight" and a sleeping policeman. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ha ha
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37208527

Sir Richard Branson 'should lose knighthood' - John McDonnell

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    ha ha
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37208527

Sir Richard Branson 'should lose knighthood' - John McDonnell

Says an IRA supporting scumbag...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74393
    I'm sure Branson is quaking in his boots :). McDonnell is an idiot. I've never known why Corbyn picked him for Shadow Chancellor - it always seemed like rewarding a crony rather than anything to do with merit.

Going up against Branson is not clever either. He may be something of the embodiment of a Thatcherite entrepreneur (although he actually started out long before that), but he's done a lot of good things and although his company runs a railway it's not his fault the Tories privatised it (twice) - at least Virgin seems to be one of the better operators.

Comparing him to Philip Green is insulting too - Green certainly should be stripped of his knighthood if he won't make good the BHS pension fund. He's a crook who has financially stripped a large UK employer and keeps the money in Monaco.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Funny thing is Virgin only own something llike 10% of the east coast franchise, stagecoach own the rest and are escaping criticism.
    My V key is broken
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25023
    ICBM said:
    McDonnell is an idiot. I've never known why Corbyn picked him for Shadow Chancellor - it always seemed like rewarding a crony rather than anything to do with merit.

The second half of that sentence shows you do know why he picked McDonnell.  ;)

I don't like that bloke at all.  Corbyn's "honest, decent guy" status may be open to debate, but McDonnell strikes me as an outright nasty, lying shit and I wouldn't trust a word he says about what he'd do as Chancellor.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22446
    holnrew said:
    Funny thing is Virgin only own something llike 10% of the east coast franchise, stagecoach own the rest and are escaping criticism.
    Absolutely.

All these idiots going on about Virgin trains being too busy... they've obviously got too much money, coz if you take a Midland Train nearly every single one of them is rammed to the gills with fat Midlanders and their water-headed children.

All trains are like that. All over the country, at varying times of the day and night.
    Philly_Q said:
    ICBM said:
    McDonnell is an idiot. I've never known why Corbyn picked him for Shadow Chancellor - it always seemed like rewarding a crony rather than anything to do with merit.

The second half of that sentence shows you do know why he picked McDonnell.  ;)

I don't like that bloke at all.  Corbyn's "honest, decent guy" status may be open to debate, but McDonnell strikes me as an outright nasty, lying shit and I wouldn't trust a word he says about what he'd do as Chancellor.
    I'm no shrinking violet, and I'm certainly not suggesting some kind of safe-space utopia where everyone's so busy trying not to sigh too aggressively nothing ever gets done.  

That said, McDonnell does have the air of an old-fashioned bully about him. I would happily be proved wrong, but there's a lot of evidence floating about which hints that he's not a nice man, and an utter pain in the arse to work with. 

And this is why I hate Twitter. If you've had a crap journey, fine. Complain away. But don't be forming some poxy mob because someone was not glowing about your great leader. 

I've been using Virgin's West Coast service since they first won the franchise in about 1880 (my memory is not what it was). The ticket prices are eye-watering, but in fairness when they took over they've upgraded the rolling stock from the ancient loco-hauled rubbish they inherited, and the customer service has improved beyond measure. They are the best operator I've used. 

I'm all for state-owned (owned, not run!) railways, but credit where it's due-Virgin can at least get me to London in a whisker over two hours and treat me like a human being while they're about it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    randella said:

I'm all for state-owned (owned, not run!) railways, but credit where it's due-Virgin can at least get me to London in a whisker over two hours and treat me like a human being while they're about it. 
    I commuted to London once a week on the west coast line for best part of a year. Never had to stand once, even when I started using the first off-peak trains for a few months.  I just reserved a seat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7401
    I think he just likes Mind-Fucking everyone...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I commuted to London once a week on the west coast line for best part of a year. Never had to stand once, even when I started using the first off-peak trains for a few months.  I just reserved a seat.
    No, me either. Always get a seat.  Also the £15 first-class weekend upgrade out of London is a godsend if you've hit the liquid refreshments a bit hard on Saturday night in the capital ;)

Virgin aren't beyond criticism, £329 standard return Manchester to Euston is beyond the pale, and a lot of the journey-time improvements are down to Network Rail upgrading the line, but of all the public transport in the UK Virgin are by far the least hassle and the most pleasant. First Transpennine, on the other hand. Less said the better really.