Calling iPhone ninjas (Help Required)

What's Hot
cj73cj73 Frets: 1004
So.  After having my trusty 4 for the best part of 5 years I bit the bullet in May and upgraded to a 5s.  Previously I had been on an "all you can eat" data  package but the chap in the shop looked back at  usage and said that 4Gb would be enough.  

My primary requirement for the mega data was that my son enjoys watching youtube cartoons when we're in the car.

Can you guess the next bit?

Since the upgrade I've ran out of data within a week in both of the last two months.  At the weekend I cleared all my usage logs, switched the youtube app so that it only plays HD over wifi and double checked that wifi assist was off.

Son had phone for an hour on Monday and used 1.2Gb of data which in my head roughly equates to an hours HD streaming.

I've had a look on the web and it seems that youtube selects the quality based on the sped of the connection, is this right?

Is there anything else I can try or is son stuck with counting red cars from now on (or am I updgrading my plan) ?

Ta

Interestingly it did't happen in the first month, and ran out quicker the second time...confused

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8078
    You can use youtube downloader and save the files then upload (in itunes) and play in the VLC app. You can drag and drop video but would have to convert in something like handbrake first (takes longer).
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3495
    edited July 2016
    Go into settings >mobile data then scroll all the way to the bottom  and make sure wifi assist is off. You may have been thinking your using wifi but if the phone detects the signal to be weak it switches to phone signal. 
    I had the 5s for ages, brilliant phone and had a 5gb plan, only twice did I reach the limit and that was with a lot of YouTube and online games.  

You our mention it happened in month two, could that be after you upgraded the software as wifi assist is a relatively new feature 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7716
    Id just get the unlimited one. I get unlimited on 3 for about £18 a month I think and I find it a lot better than having to costantly worry about running out.