Marshall TSL vs DSL??

siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
I've got a DSL50 (1983C LTD Anniversary combo 50 2x12 version) and a TSL 122.

They are IMO both great amps. But one is better in sounds and the other whilst not quite as good is more versatile. How possible (guessing not really..but!) would it be to mod the TSL to voice it the same as the DSL ?? Interweb concensus always said the DSL was the better sounding amp. Years ago when I tried them in a music store I couldn't really tell 'em apart...but this wasn't in an A/B kind of comparison...minutes apart from playing one to the other. Anyway had my DSL for a few years and I really like it and see it as a keeper. But I do wish I could go from clean to crunch (green channel boost pressed in) to lead for filth. You can't unless some mod is available? (i have heard of one actually using the reverb jack footswitch mod it to engage the clean boost)  And naturally once I acquired a TSL122 a couple of months ago I had to A/B 'em side by side and it was immediately apparent the DSL was more in your face and err present if you get my drift. Similar enough but different enough to know what I prefer. Is there a way of getting the TSL to sound like the DSL or would that be some major surgery?? Marshall always did say to clarify any potential confusion that despite both being JCM2000 series amps they were indeed voiced differently..and so of course they are! A 3 channel DSL would be a great amp IMO...if only! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    I think it could be at least theoretically possible, if not easy - both amps use the same main PCB (from memory without any 'optional' components fitted which differentiate them, although I could be wrong) and the differences are all in the control circuitry on the front PCB. So if you went through the schematics and worked out how they're different, it might be doable… although it won't be as simple as just changing a few component values.

It's going to be a lot of work anyway, these are complex amps. To be honest I'd probably just get a JVM instead if you need multiple footswitchable modes/channels with the same basic sound. Bear in mind that modding it would prevent any kind of factory repair if it ever needed it in the future, which is far from impossible with a TSL - I really wouldn't invest too much into it, it's not a great amp in the long term even if you like the sound of it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited January 2014
    yeah sounds like the voice of reason and wisdom lol. I can manage with the DSL - clean in crunch mode roll back for cleans, stomp on an OD for more and on the lead channel for even more. JVM Satriani sounds good not sure about the JVM otherwise its reputed to be a really noisy bugger and not a patch on the Satch version.