6L6 recommendations

pauladspaulads Frets: 497
Can anyone recommend any particular brand of 6L6GC power tubes for an engl screamer combo?

we play mod/punk/pop

thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TAD small bottle are good been using them in my germino jtm45 and vebrovibe with good results
  • these are good but not cheap. i had a set in my fender for 9 years before one blew. and don't forget there is vat to go on that price as well

http://www.watfordvalves.com/product_detail.asp?id=1313

The Swamp City Shakers
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    Those Philips ones are probably the best 6L6s available, and not at all expensive for old-production power valves of that quality (even with VAT on top). I didn't actually expect to see them available new again, certainly not at that sort of price. I'm not really keen on Watford Valves, but a lot of people seem to be happy with them.

For cheaper modern ones I would go for JJ via Karltone, or TAD - which are a brand, not a make... they test and match valves made elsewhere, including Chinese and possibly also JJ (I'm not sure), but they seem to test them better than a lot of the other re-branders.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    Those Philips ones are probably the best 6L6s available, and not at all expensive for old-production power valves of that quality (even with VAT on top). I didn't actually expect to see them available new again, certainly not at that sort of price. I'm not really keen on Watford Valves, but a lot of people seem to be happy with them.

i was gonna treat myself to a pair with my xmas cash!
    :D
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    edited January 2014

I've got the Phillips in my Tweed Twin reissue and they really are fantastic valves.   So much so that I bought four spare when I had the money.  And I'll buy more when I can ... they won't be available for ever!

I think Langrex has them too, though if I remember correctly, his are Siemens branded .. same valve though.

ESchap said:

I think Langrex has them too, though if I remember correctly, his are Siemens branded .. same valve though.

Are you sure?! I didn't think rebranding went that way, even at the end of the production life of valves like this.

I could also be wrong, but I think these JAN/Philips 6L6WGBs may be the same valve internally as the 6L6GCs they made, just in a smaller bottle. The plate construction looks pretty similar - that would also explain why they work reliably even at GC voltages.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

ICBM said:
    ESchap said:

Are you sure?! I didn't think rebranding went that way, even at the end of the production life of valves like this.

I could also be wrong, but I think these JAN/Philips 6L6WGBs may be the same valve internally as the 6L6GCs they made, just in a smaller bottle. The plate construction looks pretty similar - that would also explain why they work reliably even at GC voltages.

Have a look here ..... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6L6WGB-5881-SIEMENS-MATCHED-PAIR-NOS-BOXED-/260866814062?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Valves_Vacuum_Tubes&hash=item3cbcdfb06e

They are identical internally (I've got a pair).  Note he says made by Sylvania, which of course was Phillips owned by the 70's.  I've seen them in other "flavours" as well.  All the same valve.  

The Watford ones are NATO boxed and date to 1985 (very late production!)  Reckon NATO must have still had a requirement in some equipment for the old 6L6GB sized valve.  The internals do seem to be the same as the much rarer (and more expensive) full size Phillips 6L6GC bottle.  As you say that's why they work well in the modern higher B+ voltage amps, not sure if the smaller bottle will ultimately shorten their life though compared to the GC.

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11716
    I bought some of those years ago when he was charging around £20 per valve.  They are very good.
    ESchap said:

Have a look here ..... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6L6WGB-5881-SIEMENS-MATCHED-PAIR-NOS-BOXED-/260866814062?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Valves_Vacuum_Tubes&hash=item3cbcdfb06e

They are identical internally (I've got a pair).  Note he says made by Sylvania, which of course was Phillips owned by the 70's.

Very interesting! Yes, they are definitely Philips valves. I wonder why they went to the trouble of branding them as Siemens - unless the German military had a requirement for them and Siemens had already stopped production?

ESchap said:
    Reckon NATO must have still had a requirement in some equipment for the old 6L6GB sized valve.  The internals do seem to be the same as the much rarer (and more expensive) full size Phillips 6L6GC bottle.  As you say that's why they work well in the modern higher B+ voltage amps, not sure if the smaller bottle will ultimately shorten their life though compared to the GC.
    Probably needed to fit into a particular physical space. The smaller bottle shouldn't affect life much if at all - the only possible effect would be slightly hotter running due to the smaller surface area to radiate heat from.

Those 6L6GCs are getting very rare now, yes - they used to be common, every Fender, Peavey and Mesa amp (and probably any other American brand still using 6L6s) made in the late 70s and early 80s was full of them. I have quite a few old tested ones still, which is the main reason I haven't followed your example and bought all the GBs I can afford...

• I don't suppose there is a niche in the market for high performance valves anymore, is there?

Means the price of these will keep going up. Shame, they probably last miles longer than most new production models, which will just be thrown away.
    I don't suppose there is a niche in the market for high performance valves anymore, is there?
    There certainly is… hi-fi. The prices those people will pay make ours look cheap.

• pauladspaulads Frets: 497
    thanks for the advice, everyone...much appreciated !

my amp guy tells me he's had a few problems with JJ's lately...and would recommend Tung-Sol over them

and i don't think my ears/fingers are good enough to warrant those expensive fellas

paulads said:

my amp guy tells me he's had a few problems with JJ's lately...and would recommend Tung-Sol over them

I would for tone, but not for reliability. I've had the odd faulty JJ but more Tung-Sols,

paulads said:

and i don't think my ears/fingers are good enough to warrant those expensive fellas
    Don't put yourself down. What's the price difference, about two sets of strings per power valve?

The Philips valves will last miles longer than four sets of strings, and will sound better than the modern valves too.

Anyone can justify good tone. I bought a Les Paul and a Martin 12-string when I could barely play - I've still got the Martin, 25 years later. Though whether I can play yet is debatable :).

• pauladspaulads Frets: 497
    good point, and food for thought...

i'm saying goodbye to my jcm800 today - so the engl is the latest in a long list of amps i've used...all of which have been "ok"

...i often think it odd that 10 different guitar players using 10 different guitars through 10 different amps via 10 different pedalboards in 10 different bands can somehow sound uncannily like the guy did last week...

i'll think on it as i'm dodging the bottles at tonight's gig...cheers!

• ICBM said:

For cheaper modern ones I would go for JJ via Karltone, or TAD - which are a brand, not a make... they test and match valves made elsewhere, including Chinese and possibly also JJ (I'm not sure), but they seem to test them better than a lot of the other re-branders.

• stupid IE bug cut off my reply. can you please link to the Philips 6l6's - I can't see them and I need to top up my stash.