anyone with Virgin landline......

HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16315

and decided tae have it removed/disconnected tae save some money?

(EVERYONE uses mobiles these days,right?)

is there a saving tae be made here at all.... landline has nothing tae do with the broadband line, is it?

phone line rental total £17.99    and it's never used......hardly

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• oafoaf Frets: 301
    I think that when I last looked having phone line AND broadband added a pound or two to the cost (broadband alone wasn't the same price as they charged for broadband when you have a phone line). Might have changed but there was hardly any premium for having the phone. The cost of calls is quite high though if you don't have an all you can eat package. I just use VOIP (10EUR for - I think - 120 days of usage to most first world countries, including UK). I can dig out the details if you're interested.

For me having the landline as backup was worth a teeny extra cost... remember the standard approach with Virgin is to phone them, say it is too expensive and you're wanting to leave and then get money off for 18-24 months.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16315
    thanks .....er Oaf   :)
    tae be or not tae be
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    We looked into this recently and decided it wasn't worth it. As Oaf says, there's barely any difference in cost. 
    so that land line is sitting doing nothing (broadband is separate optic fibre) is costing me £18 a month? 
    tae be or not tae be
    But with no landline the broadband costs more, so it is almost zero cost (though they scalp you on calls).

Phone them, say times are tough and ask them if they can help you out. If you get someone who is useless phone again. There's a "thinking of leaving us" option on their automated menu. Just try it on and sound a bit disappointed with what you're paying. Be nice, they want to keep a customer.
    OK  :)
    tae be or not tae be
    edited August 2016
    I just checked and I use justVOIP for calls if that's of any help/interest. Be aware that you'll get essentially no support from them, but it does work! You will need a VOIP capable phone or an app on your mobile (e.g. Zoiper).

Someone wrote a thing which scrapes all the Dellmont/Betamax brands and provides a comparison site of rates/countries/free days:
    http://backsla.sh/betamax
    It is really nice if you have friends or family in different countries.
  • BensonBenson Frets: 242
    Is fibre based broadband without the phoneline possible yet? I thought most fibre connections were still only FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) and the last mile was still over copper (and therefore your phone line). 
  • I only have Virgin landline as it made the bband and tv package cheaper, I have never even plugged a landline into it I don't even own a landline.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    Hoots if you think you're paying too much you should phone Virgin and ask them if they can work you out a deal or something a bit cheaper for you.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10389
    Like others, our broadband was considerably cheaper if we had a landline as well, which we didn't need but as it made it cheaper we had it. I've done the maths and it will be 22 months before it works out more expensive overall on the price we are paying (some stuff was free for a period of time)
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    edited August 2016
    We're the same, the landline is rarely used here & when we asked to cancel it to save some money they said the way our broadband/TV/phone package is structured we wouldn't save much if anything.

In fact come to think about it we don't use the virgin box for TV. (freeview on the TV) & the landline gets used two or three times tops in a month, what a waste.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4858
    I have BT infinity with fibre to the home. Even then the normal phone runs over the fibre but I still have to have the landline.
    Grrrrrr
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11726
    Benson said:
    Is fibre based broadband without the phoneline possible yet? I thought most fibre connections were still only FTTC (fibre to the cabinet) and the last mile was still over copper (and therefore your phone line). 
    Virgin is optical into your house.  That's why their broadband speeds are generally faster.