Guns in Texas schools allowed?

What's Hot
Well...for some. On campus site. 

Nah...what can possibly go wrong there?

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/new-texas-law-allows-college-students-carry-guns-campus-n620911
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34318
    It is fucking madness.
    21 is the age limit too.
    I despair.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28098
    edited August 2016
    Bit of an exaggeration - in America, "school" = "university".

However, I suspect this'll be a good test of the "we just need more guns" solution to the mass-shooting problem.

Naturally, though...if there is a mass-shooting there and some passer-by doesn't shoot (and kill) the shooter, there'll be calls from the pro-gun lobby to mandate that people of age carry a gun on-campus.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    edited August 2016
    I've no doubt if we had the same gun laws as America I'd be dead or in prison for shooting someone., possibly myself accidentally.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1810

However, I suspect this'll be a good test of the "we just need more guns" solution to the mass-shooting problem.

Naturally, though...if there is a mass-shooting there and some passer-by doesn't shoot (and kill) the shooter, there'll be calls from the pro-gun lobby to mandate that people of age carry a gun on-campus.

What if there's a shooting and those who carry guns will kill innocent witnesses or won't decide to take a shot at all?
    That may as well work in favor of anti-gunsome policy. Although...IT IS Texas, so guns and Christ are above everything else I guess...
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
     Although...IT IS Texas, so guns and Christ are above everything else I guess...
    Indeed. It's really a different country
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback

What if there's a shooting and those who carry guns will kill innocent witnesses or won't decide to take a shot at all?
    That may as well work in favor of anti-gunsome policy. Although...IT IS Texas, so guns and Christ are above everything else I guess...
    The people who advocate for that sort of thing always seem to make the assumption that The Good Guys are proper Hollywood-style heroes and thus never miss or run away, on the basis that everybody wants to believe they're the hero. See the oft-repeated comment - "Even if you're against guns, my (legal) concealed-carry gun protects you. You're welcome."
    <space for hire>
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4858
    I can you what it's a real conversation killer.
    I travel to Dallas quite often for work.
    You go out hoping to have a good debate about religion/politics but when you know your colleague is carrying a gun it does make for a boring evening.
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    The dad of a friend of mine lectures physics in El Paso, Texas

He's already had people threatening violence if the don't get good grades

You'd have thought they would've learned by now...
    Stop crying, start buying
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1822
    I did a trade show in Dallas a few years back and my local colleague offered to take us out to the range. 
    His selection of hand guns modified sniper rifles etc etc and including a Desert Eagle simply scared the crap out of me. 
    I had a go with a few but the whole culture was scary. 

The rangemaster called everyone to stop shooting as a new shooter was joining the range and this old woman looking like someones nan tottered up to the bench opened here very large ladys hand bag and pulled out an assortment of hand guns and ammo. She proceeded to load them like someone who has done it all her life the same way my Nan presented her pension book back in the day. I looked at the guns on the bench and this little old lady and she saw my open mouth and said the Glock is my favourite and smiled and proceed to put a load of holes into a Zombie target. 

One of the more surreal days of my life and frankly probably my last experience with guns. 

Any country that sell guns and ammo at Walmart needs to change. 

That said all my gun toting US friends say there are buying frenzy's after stuff like the Miami shooting or school shootings just in case they bring the hammer down. 

Not really sure how they can ever change or recall or get people to part with the massive hordes in peoples basement. Even some form of control will get marginalised by the political process and probably a lifetime of legal challenges. 

With the rise of terror threats and random shooting I dont think guns will be going away in the US anytime soon.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    Is there any recorded case of a mass-shooting-type incident being stopped by an armed civilian, ie not police, SWAT or at least a trained security guard?

Just curious... I don't remember ever hearing of any.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    I really don't understand their mindset over there, It's totally alien to me. I had a troll telling me the other week how dumb we were in Europe for not being armed especially after the France attacks and it's better to be carrying than not.
    I reminded him the police officers who got murdered in Dallas & New York were carrying weapons & were very well trained in the use of them but it sadly didn't stop them losing their lives.

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11684
    hotpot said:
    I really don't understand their mindset over there, It's totally alien to me.

You are clearly a Communist. And I bet you hate apple pie as well.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Is there any recorded case of a mass-shooting-type incident being stopped by an armed civilian, ie not police, SWAT or at least a trained security guard?

I believe there have been a few:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/10/03/do-civilians-with-guns-ever-stop-mass-shootings/

That lists 10, going back 18 years. Obviously, that's a tiny number compared with the actual number of mass shootings.
    <space for hire>
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4499
    Moss said:
    The dad of a friend of mine lectures physics in El Paso, Texas

He's already had people threatening violence if the don't get good grades

You'd have thought they would've learned by now...
    He should shoot them.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    scrumhalf said:
    hotpot said:
    I really don't understand their mindset over there, It's totally alien to me.

You are clearly a Communist. And I bet you hate apple pie as well.

LOL  I think I must be, that troll the other week ended by saying I was one of those libtards! :o
    ICBM said:

I believe there have been a few:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2015/10/03/do-civilians-with-guns-ever-stop-mass-shootings/

That lists 10, going back 18 years. Obviously, that's a tiny number compared with the actual number of mass shootings.
    Interesting. But you're right, it's a tiny number compared to the more than on average one mass shooting *per day* that occurs in the US… ie roughly 7000 in the same 18 years.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    Gun lobby argument is of course that is 10 less with many lives saved etc.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6319
    They do say that life imitates art. When you consider that a large percentage of movies made revolve around plots that involve guns, violence and with revenge being a driving motif, then it's hardly surprising that little Johnny thinks he can put the world to rights by force of arms.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10074
    Perhaps the Somme could have been safer - If only more people had been carrying guns.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Jalapeno said:
    Gun lobby argument is of course that is 10 less with many lives saved etc.
    As opposed to roughly 6990 which might not have happened at all with strict gun laws… not to mention the tens of thousands every year killed in "non mass" shootings, accidents and gun suicides. (Even if it's arguable that a proportion of the suicides would just have found another way.)

It's more than thirty thousand a year on average - five times as many as in all the wars they've fought since Vietnam put together, every year. Or as Yoko Ono put it in December last year - "Over 1,100,000 people have been killed by guns in the U.S.A. since John Lennon was shot and killed on December 8, 1980."

But guns save lives…. yeah.