Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

ehx Soul Food - Klone?

What's Hot
shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
Has anyone else noticed the ehx Soul Food?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I was watching these demos last night. Priced a lot cheaper than a lot of klones at £50.
  • It'd be interesting, ehx as far as I know are not cloners so much as innovators who release a pedal to be cloned by the masses.

It sounds nice, though, whatever it is. Not necessarily my kind of thing, but it sounds cool.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28678
    edited January 2014
    Strange to see EHX following rather than leading but it sounds good based on the demos. Maybe the motion-sensing wah wasn't the success they hoped? Probably not identical to the original circuit, but at that price noone cares if it sounds good and doesn't break :)

I notice they also have in their "new" section:
    -East River Drive: TS alike? It's green and has a JRC4558 chip
    -OD Glove: OCD I guess?
    -Hot Tubes Nano; small version of the big old Hot Tubes, presumably (the one *before* the one with actual tubes in it...)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Strange to see EHX following rather than leading but it sounds good based on the demos. Maybe the motion-sensing wah wasn't the success they hoped? Probably not identical to the original circuit, but at that price noone cares if it sounds good and doesn't break :)

I notice they also have in their "new" section:
    -East River Drive: TS alike? It's green and has a JRC4558 chip
    -OD Glove: OCD I guess?
    -Hot Tubes Nano; small version of the big old Hot Tubes, presumably (the one *before* the one with actual tubes in it...)
    That hot tubes with the valve in it was awesome on bass.  Never tried it with guitar, but that plus a Digitech Bass Synth (surely the worst synth pedal ever?) makes 'that' hysteria tone.  Awesome.  

It is odd that they might be cloning though.  A real shame, they really lead the way for others to follow usually. Although the Klon is currently unavailable, so I guess it's kinda free game.  
  • I have already ordered one. Just need to get my Klon back to compare.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2460
    Last I heard (and this was just internet talk, I haven't corroborated) I don't think it had the klon's dual-ganged gain pot? I was suspicious from the start that it might not be a clone- it may still be, "near enough", but yeah.

Kind of ironic how most of the time people claim (or at least strongly imply) something is new which then turns out to be a clone- this might be one where a clone is implied but it's not one. :))
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    edited January 2014
    I have the Fredric Golden Eagle, and I seriously think it's damn close to the silver Klon I used to own. If you consider that no two Klons will sounds exactly the same because of component tolerences etc., then it's good enough unless you also want the label. Maybe the Soul Food is in a similar ball park. It certainly sounds similar on those videos, but we probably all know how misleading they can be.

Misty said:
    I have the Fredric Golden Eagle, and I seriously think it's damn close to the silver Klon I used to own. If you consider that no two Klons will sounds exactly the same because of component tolerences etc., then it's good enough unless you also want the label. Maybe the Soul Food is in a similar ball park. It certainly sounds similar on those videos, but we probably all know how misleading they can be.
    That's good to know. I love my Golden Eagle but have only briefly played a proper one, so you never know exactly how close it is feel-wise. If the EHX one doesn't have the exact circuit (and i'll be surprised if it does tbh- the marketing just suggests it's a soundalike) I'd be keen to know just how it sounds in real life.
  • Dave_Mc said:
    Last I heard (and this was just internet talk, I haven't corroborated) I don't think it had the klon's dual-ganged gain pot?
    Have any of the klones got it though? I've not noticed it before but I only read about it a couple of weeks ago!
    Dave_Mc said:
    Last I heard (and this was just internet talk, I haven't corroborated) I don't think it had the klon's dual-ganged gain pot?
    Have any of the klones got it though? I've not noticed it before but I only read about it a couple of weeks ago!
    The Golden Eagle does. Not idea about the others!
  • I saw a rather cryptic message over on TGP from a well known boutique overdrive builder that EHX have been working closely with a third party on these overdrives. Said third party was said to know a LOT about building good overdrive pedals.

There was conjecture that it might be Bill Finnegan(?)but no names were actually mentioned properly. Intriguing thought though.
  • Hmm, that'd be pretty cool if so. Might explain why they're so explicit about what it's meant to sound like! Plus, Bill was looking for a reliable manufacturer after the KTR debacle iirc?
    edited January 2014
    I really don't need one.... ;-)
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    I've ordered one but they're out of stock till next month. Never tried a klon so will have no idea how close it is or isn't but from the clips it sounds like it will be a nice od regardless
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    What's the street price on these? Could be a useful addition!
  • timmysoft;123531" said:
    What's the street price on these? Could be a useful addition!
    £49

• Not too shabby...
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2460
    edited January 2014
    Misty said:
    Yeah, "close enough" would be good enough for me.
    If the EHX one doesn't have the exact circuit (and i'll be surprised if it does tbh- the marketing just suggests it's a soundalike) I'd be keen to know just how it sounds in real life.
    Yeah the marketing is what made me suspicious- normally they don't say so explicitly what the clone is. The fact they said it made me wonder that they weren't trying to trade off the klon's popularity/hype, while actually not having a klone so they couldn't get into trouble either. :)) Though if what @Flanging_Fred is saying is true, that would also explain how up-front they're being about the circuit's origins if it is a klone.
    Dave_Mc said:
    That's a good point. I have no idea :))
  • damodaidamodai Frets: 38
    Was going to give one of these a go , been looking for a nice boost but
    Does'nt seem to be anywhere this side of the pond that has them in stock , anybody have any ideas ? 

damodai said:
    Was going to give one of these a go , been looking for a nice boost but
    Does'nt seem to be anywhere this side of the pond that has them in stock , anybody have any ideas ? 

Give it time, they're brand new.