Someone recommend me a compressor (oh, and a chorus while you're at it)

What's Hot
BucketBucket Frets: 7752
edited January 2014 in FX
Some of you might know that I'm building a second, smaller pedalboard currently, and so far my signal chain is:

Wah - Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
OD - Way Huge Green Rhino mk II
Fuzz - Rainger FX Son of Freakenstein
Delay - MXR Carbon Copy

In between the wah and OD I want to add a compressor, and in between the fuzz and delay I want a chorus and possibly a tremolo (I'll probably just get another Joyo trem, the one on my big board is great). I've been to a few different shops in the last few days to try out various compressors, of which the best I found by some considerable distance is the Xotic SP compressor. The only problem is that it costs £150, and I simply cannot justify spending that kind of money on a compressor (which is an important part of the chain for me, but not so life-changing that I'd happily spend more than about £70-80 on one).

I've also tried a T. Rex Tonebug compressor (which I didn't get on with), and an MXR Dyna Comp (which is legendary but I thought it was shite) and an MXR Super Comp (which was better, but still not quite right...) - what else should I try out?

As for choruses - I've got an MXR Micro Chorus on my big board which is nice, but I want something with a bit more control and tonal variation, although I don't want to go overboard and get something with five knobs on it. To this end, I've been looking for something with perhaps two knobs... and the other day I tried a Providence Anadime, which I'd been wanting to test out since seeing Guthrie Govan playing with one on Youtube. It was absolutely amazing, hands-down the best-sounding chorus I've ever used. Only problem - it was £200. I want to spend, at most, about half that. I know I probably can't get 100% of the way to that sound for the price but I want to be pretty close.

Can anyone recommend a decent mid-priced compressor and/or chorus I've forgotten about, or should I save up for an Xotic and an Anadime after all?
- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7560
    edited January 2014
    Favourite compressor is the visual sound comp 66, which is absolutely brilliant.

Can do subtle (read: makes cleans sound miles better with no real compression) through to pretty squishy for country esque stuff. Apparently based on an mxr dyna comp, so that could be worth looking at, too. The route 66 has the comp and a boutique modded tubescreamer in one box, so you could flog a green style drive pedal if you have one, and a used route 66 should be 65 quid or so.

Best chorus I've ever used, bar none, is the visual sound (lol) liquid chorus or v2 h2o. Sadly discontinued, but available from time to time on eBay. It seriously is stunning, very versatile and not at all like the mxr (which is probably my second favourite for true ease of use). This one goes from fairly subtle to genuinely sea sick, and is stereo to boot.

Visual sound switching is excellent, too.

Hope they help.

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Chorus, MXR Micro chorus.

Best I've tried, clean or dirty, right across the setting range.

The only compressor I've had was a Boss CS-3. OK, but could use a noise gate after it. Sold it to Bigjon.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7560
    edited January 2014
    Just to add on, if it was my money, I would (if I already had a tubescreamer) save up for the exotic comp.  Although the VS one is AWESOME, I reckon that one would pip it by a fair bit.  

The chorus, though, if you want extra versatility without going overboard, would be the Visual Sound.  It has 4 knobs, but it's pretty intuitive and one of them is completely set-and-forget.  
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    edited January 2014
    Favourite compressor is the visual sound comp 66, which is absolutely brilliant.

Can do subtle (read: makes cleans sound miles better with no real compression) through to pretty squishy for country esque stuff. Apparently based on an mxr dyna comp, so that could be worth looking at, too. 
    I've tried a Dyna Comp and thought it was crap actually, despite the fact they're one of the most well-known compressors... I turned it on and it made the clean signal noticeably quieter instead of boosting it, then when I turned the output up it just started clipping, which isn't what I want at all - it needs to have headroom and not completely squash the sound, which the Dyna Comp really did - I know that's sort of what a compressor is meant to do, but it was too squashed. The 3-knob Super Comp was a little better, slightly more transparent.

I'll look into the Visual Sound, thanks. :)
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited January 2014
    I had a Boss CS3 as well. it's worth checking out because it's quite flexible.

On a Boss theme, I still love the sound of the old CE2. It's the basis for a lot of the current crop of clones. I always thought it was really sweet and uncomplicated.
  • No dramas.  The VS comp has lots of headroom (I use it with high output humbuggies as well as vintage style single coils) *but* it definitely does do that clipping thing when you crank the compression up with the level.  It has tons of volume boost available before it does that, but if I were you, I'd steer clear - too much risk of hating it!
  • A few years ago I was on a similar search - I tried the Boss CS3 (which was just 'ok'), Line6 Constictor (didn't like), Marshall ED1 (didn't like), Dynacomp (which I liked but was too 'squashy' - I was after something less 'characterful' / more 'transparent and subtle') and a few other cheapies before I settled on the Digitech Main Squeeze.

It needs a power supply (eats through batteries) but was by far the best for the subtle usage I was after. If I remember correctly it was about £50 or so back then.

It's since been replaced by a Rothwell Love Squeeze (superb - you may get one s/h in your budget if you're lucky) but the Digitech is still in use on my small 'travel' board.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2768
    Chorus I loved the VS one - a H2O was on my gigboard for ages,  Ibanez CS9 - one of the few pedals I regret selling back in the day when  I first switched to rack gear, or the providence Anadime.   An old boss DC2 would be cool but might not be want you want for this board.  

For a comp pedal I'd go for the keeley (I've only tried the 4knob version)
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2460
    edited January 2014
    mike_l said:

The only compressor I've had was a Boss CS-3. OK, but could use a noise gate after it. Sold it to Bigjon.

Yeah. I tried mine again after having it in its box for a good while, and was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was. But as you said, it can be noisy- I think it has more available compression than some pedals, which doesn't help with the noise levels and at lower settings noise didn't seem to be too bad, but yeah it's worth pointing out.
    Skarloey said:
    On a Boss theme, I still love the sound of the old CE2. It's the basis for a lot of the current crop of clones. I always thought it was really sweet and uncomplicated.
    Yeah. I have a tonerider chorus which I think is based on one and it's very nice. I think they've maybe been discontinued, though, they seem very hard to find now. At one point you could get them for £50 new delivered.

I'm no chorus or compression afficionado, though, so there are probably tons of better options that I haven't tried :))
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1778
    How about a CE-2 clone wired true bypass running at 15v for extra headroom... Couple of compressors for sale also. Just sayin ;)

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    I've got an SP and it's just fantastic. It's on my very small list of "never sell" pedals.

I believe it's just a Ross based circuit (which is the TS of the comp world) and the Dyna, Super and Comp 66 are all the same. What makes it great is that it's tiny, low noise and most importantly of all has a blend control.

If you want a standard comp the VS is nicer than the Dyna, but is quite noisey.

To my mind blend is so important, it takes a comp from an effect that I don't really use to essential have it on nearly all the time territory. 
    The only delay I know of that's as good is the Barber Tone Press, but it's pretty big. The good news is someone was selling one for £80 here: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/7744/compressors-with-a-blend-control#latest
    The bad news is they are pretty massive so if you are looking for a mini board it's not the one. 

As far as a reasonable priced chorus the Mooer a decent  CE-2 clone. I haven't tried an Anadime, but it's very high on my GAS list.

If you are buying a Trem seriously try the Trelecopter as it is brilliant (It's a tremulator clone)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3667
    Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1826
    I suspect you haven't heard of it and I mentioned it on another thread. The best compressor I have heard abd own is the dinosaural OPti compressor. It's boutique but very usable in a live situation. I can't recommend it enough.
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • The only worthwhile guitar compressor is one that is deservedly burning in the fires hell.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4099
    edited January 2014
    EDIT:  ah, you want that rotating speaker sound.  The suggestion I had won't touch that.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3411
    edited January 2014
    HNY Connor and hope the course is going well?
    The Keeley Comp is good too and you might be lucky enough to get one used for £100.
    The Philospher's Tone also seems like a goodie and you can add gain to it via the Grit dial. Vintage & Rare, Denmark St used to carry them (£110 new) and here's a good clip

Although I haven't tried one, I've heard nothing but good reports about the Xotic SP and it might be worth holding out for a used one and small footprint too.

The TC Corona covers a lot of ground and hopefully, the pedal will always sound fresh due to the toneprint facility, but I still think the Boss CE-2 takes some beating.

All the best and hope to see you and Dad at a future SE Gearfest.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    Thanks guys.

Also just looked into the Rothwell Love Squeeze, which looks like a good 'un. Still quite expensive... :D
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    With pedals sometimes you say that will do and sometimes you buy a Flint :D

Which does mean my Trelecopter will be available if you fancy it for your Mini board. 
  • MaxiMaxi Frets: 13
    edited January 2014

Ive got a couple of compressors I like the thing is they are both at the opposite extremes of price Cheap as chips Behinger CS100 (£25) and a TL Audio 5051 Ivory 2 (£250 - 300) .

I use the CS100 quite a bit you should try it .

Ive also got a DigiTech Main Squeeze but that just pumps too much for the funky stuff it kinda depends on style .

Flown the nest .
  • exocetexocet Frets: 2065
    I'm the one with the Barber Tone Press for sale.

It's one of these - not my eBay sale by the way

Only reason I'm selling it is because I have two! 

It's a nice compressor, much better sounding than the Dyna comp and quieter than the Ross units that it is based on.

There is an internal preset control that allows you to control the "Brightness" of the compressed signal which works well in my opinion.