Someone recommend me a compressor (oh, and a chorus while you're at it)

What's Hot

Comments

• ewalewal Frets: 2815
    I've seen positive noises about the Mooer Yellow Comp - I think it's at the optical, more transparent end of the compressor spectrum.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2573
    It's more bass-centric, but the compressor reviews at ovnilab might help you out.  Of the budget compressors, he rates the Moen Uni-Comp (optical, I think) pretty highly, but I've not used it myself.  I'm very happy with the EHX Soul Preacher I bought from a forum member, but that's pretty much a beefed up Orange Squeezer clone, so if you're after transparent then forget it.

Also, depends very much if you're after a "boosty" compressor or a "compressy" compressor...I don't really use the Soul Preacher to boost my overall level much beyond unity, so don't have a problem with the noise-floor that a lot of people report.  Horses for courses!
    YouTube yak-about regarding all things alt/indie/post-punk/noise/etc >>> HERE
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    Also, depends very much if you're after a "boosty" compressor or a "compressy" compressor...I don't really use the Soul Preacher to boost my overall level much beyond unity, so don't have a problem with the noise-floor that a lot of people report.  Horses for courses!
    I want something that doesn't affect my overall tone too much, and can boost the signal a bit without squashing everything. And which is quite transparent but not so transparent you can't tell it's there - I want it to sound compressed but only fairly subtly so, so you can definitely hear it's being squashed a little but not loads.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Bucket said:
    I want something that doesn't affect my overall tone too much, and can boost the signal a bit without squashing everything. And which is quite transparent but not so transparent you can't tell it's there - I want it to sound compressed but only fairly subtly so, so you can definitely hear it's being squashed a little but not loads.
    That sounds very similar to what I want from a compressor - you really should try to demo a Rothwell Love Squeeze. I was looking at various compressors with a blend knob (like the Wampler Ego) but they were all a bit too expensive. I was a little worried that the Rothwell might be a bit limited (it only has the two controls) as I was buying just on YouTube demos. But I needn't have worried. The Love Squeeze is superb for a subtle, almost 'invisible' compression. I leave mine on all the time. And it's EXTREMELY low noise.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10067
    +1 for the Visual Sound H2O - great sounding chorus.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Bucket;124909" said:
    DarnWeight said:Also, depends very much if you're after a "boosty" compressor or a "compressy" compressor...I don't really use the Soul Preacher to boost my overall level much beyond unity, so don't have a problem with the noise-floor that a lot of people report.  Horses for courses!

Sonds like that yellow Mooer compressor could be right for you then. It's definitely 'there' but subtler than the Boss.
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2573
    Bucket said:
    Sounds like a job for an optical comp to me.  If you can afford it, the Diamond...on a budget, the Moen or the Mooer Yellow should get you close enough.
    YouTube yak-about regarding all things alt/indie/post-punk/noise/etc >>> HERE
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1826
    edited January 2014
    Lol you guys have got to check the Dinosaural OPti comp out I mentioned. I'm sure it's the answer you want. I won't say anymore now :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • For chorus try and find an old pearl cho1. I got mine for about £30 delivered off t'Ebay. 4 knob analogue goodness. Can go from subtle to seasick and has very useful tone and blend controls. They do an excellent 4 knob compressor too but they don't come up so often.
  • That description is exactly what I use the visual sound comp for. Makes me wonder what mods are in it.

I set the comp right down to nothing with humbuggies or a quarter up with single coils, then have the gain set to give boost. It makes everything clean sound better, without losing playing dynamics - you can still go from loud to soft and back, but it just about stops the signal being inaudible or unbearably loud.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Xotic SP Compressor. Great footprint, and the blend/mix knob will give you the subtle compression you're after. I really shouldn't have sold mine :-(

How about a Mooer Chorus...I just happen to have one for sale for the bargain price of £35 delivered ;-)
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1641
    Bucket said:
    you are describing the Diamond compressor, which I bought when Johnny Marr recommended it (it's always on apparently). Perfect for all that. Had it years and it's a keeper.

I also have the Xotic SP, which is much more powerful and noisier, but fab nonetheless

• I tried about ten different Chorus pedals at guitarguitar a couple of years back. I ended up buying the MXR Micro Chorus, but the only thing I liked (slightly) more was the Anadime, just couldn't justify the outlay at the time. Maybe there is a way to mod the MXR to have another control function?

The EH Soul Preacher isn't bad for the money, a little noisy if you wanted to use it to record, but for live use it's alright.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    If you like the Anadime, I'd look at a used Boss CE-2, which is probably my favourite chorus, or the Visual Sound H20 which is in a similar vein.
    The best compressor pedal I've used for subtle stuff is the Wampler Ego. I actually prefer more squish, though, so I also like the CS-3. I think I'm alone on that, though!
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    Ok...so i've tried different compressors over the last year and tried a lot...and have i believe found the holy grail of compressors.

so, from my experience the and ones i've tried, the best has been the Analogman Mini Bi-Comp closely followed by the MXR Custom Comp (which i will be selling very soon).

I use the compressor as an always on pedal and use it not so much to squish but to give me unnatural long sustain. The ones i have tried are listed below...there two things that turned me off all of the ones below, noise levels, tone manipulation and some were so transparent that they weren't even there!.

MXR Dyna Comp
    MXR Super Comp
    MXR Custom Comp
    Pigtronix Philosophers Tone
    MI Audio
    EQD Warden
    Wampler Ego
    Marshall Ed
    Mooer
    Boss Sustainer/Comp

On the Chorus side...I would highly highly recommend the Zakk Wylde one, which i think MXR redid as a standard pedal in blue relabeled as their Analogue Chorus. Its really really nice...i wish i kept my ZW one...it was really nice...really
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    I love my Toadworks Mr Squishy
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Isn't the squishy based on the Orange Squeezer?
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7401
    edited January 2014
    Only time I used any compression was the BOSS CS-2 (which is what is in the BOSS ME-5 and I used that isolated) with a 59 Bassman to help get some harmonically-induced grind at a lower volume... BUT I have always had a Barber Tone Press earmarked should I need a standalone pedal...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    A bit wrong maybe, I use an EBS MultiComp. It's a bass effects pedal but works surprisingly well with guitar. Does very subtle through to squished to death and is ultra noiseless.
    The Multicomp is brilliant and works just as well with guitar. 
    It's expensive though.