Someone recommend me a compressor (oh, and a chorus while you're at it)

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• If this is the script logo it's supposed to be fantastic… £45

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31584
    The best comp I have had is the Demeter Compulator. It's very transparent, so if you like that sort, it's great.

I am selling a TC Electronics Stereo Chrous/Flanger, which is to many people the best Chorus ever made. £165 UK shipped.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    Just thought I'd update you all.

Today I bought a Mooer Yellow Comp and it's chuffing marvellous. Exactly what I was looking for.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice work :D
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1291
    edited January 2014
    All the best compressors are yellow.
    ;)

Sounds pretty good in the official demo.

One thing is confusing me, though. It's described as an optical compressor but I thought I'd read that the components for a true optical compressor now contravened EU legislation. Is that not the case? Or is this really an 'optical-style' compressor (in the same way as the term 'analogue delay' seems to be used in advertising now)?

[edit] I found where I read that - it was on Rothwell Audio's site in the blurb about the Love Squeeze ...

"Compressors based on optical circuits can sound very good but the latest EU regulations have outlawed the use of Cadmium Sulphide so light dependent resistors (LDRs) are now banned and so are compressors which use them."
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1778
    edited January 2014
    Like a lot of ODs are TubeScreamers at heart, a lot of compressors are variations on a Ross (Modified Ross Compressors or MoRCs for short).

I like the Rothwell LoveSqueeze which is unusual in that it isn't a MoRC. It's one of those that you can barely tell is on until you turn it off and suddenly your mids vanish.

LDR/Vactrols are indeed non-RoHS so it's not legal to sell something containing them here. Another stupid law like leaded solder... You can buy LDRs and Vactrols yourself of course, and build your own if you so desire.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    The Mooer Yellow Comp is supposedly a Diamond Clone (which contains a Vactrol )

Does that mean that You can't buy Diamond Comps in this country?
  • Can't buy or import them into the EU technically. PITA for amp manufacturers as there's still plenty of amps using optos for switching.

However if you make something in the EU on a small scale you'll be fine as nothing gets checked, until the optos run out that is!

ROHS nonsense.
  • camfcamf Frets: 1203
    Massive fan of the Rothwell Love Squeeze too... great pedal and tried lots including a Route 66 twice.