Wristwatches.

What's Hot

Comments

• I've got a lovely watch, it's a citizen eco drive. Not massively pricey, and the strap was a bit nasty and broke yesterday, but lovely looking. It has had the occasional mishap - I suspect more expensive ones have more reliable mechanisms, but they're often fuck ugly. I really can't stand most of the classic mens watches like the seamaster, I much prefer simple and smart. 

Here is mine. http://www.watchshop.com/mens-citizen-eco-drive-watch-bm8240-11a-p99952857.html

I'd like an automatic, so a seiko 5 is on the cards. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2494
    Seiko 5s are great watches for the money. I was more than happy with mine until I found a very nice Omega Geneve in a charity shop. I couldn't get my £25 out fast enough!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BudgieBudgie Frets: 2118
    @streethawk I've got two Steinhart watches, a diver and a pilot and both are really nice, I'd definitely recommend.
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    edited August 2016
    Nomad said:
    edbolivar said:

For years I have thought I might do a horology course when I retire (a while yet) as I quite fancy the idea of making a watch/clock.

I've flirted with the idea of making a clock, to the extent of getting a project book to make a particular design (I think it's an 8-day one with weights rather than a mainspring), and searching online for bits of brass and special cutters for the milling machine. It's rather involved, and the special tools can be pricey (and they're on top of slightly less common tooling for the mill itself, such as rotary table and dividing head).

Very difficult to make bits as small as watch parts accurately without very good machine tools or hand technique. Clock sized bits are much bigger and can stand a bit more inaccuracy in terms of less precision due to machinery/hand being less than superlative. I wouldn't even consider trying to make a watch - the bits are just too small and too easy to screw up. A clock is much more feasible, and may well be a good way to start even if watches is where you want to go.

I have absolutely no need for a clock. It's really just about the engineering and machining challenge. If I ever do make one, it'll be set to local noon rather than GMT, just for the hell of it.

Have you seen the YouTube channel clickspring? He has a series where he's making a clock and it's just amazing to watch. 

My V key is broken
  • edbolivaredbolivar Frets: 156
    @neil Not that it matters greatly, but Breitling have for several years had their own in house facility, that produces a number of their movements.
    There is nothing fundamentally wrong with buying in movements or pieces from the likes of JLC as Patek Philippe did for many years.

Unfortunately, the majority of watch brands I loved, have been snapped up by large multinationals that focus on building their marketing teams over everything else.

@nomad I totally agree about the engineering challenge
  • axisus said:
    viz said:
    I'm so happy with this one from China - it's an automatic, keeps really good time, and only has a few minor spelling mistakes. 

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab217/Vizzage/Mobile Uploads/image_zpsipe3nqdy.jpeg
    Very nice indeed! Where can I get one like that?
    He's just said China!
    James May called, he wants his shirt back! ;)

I love watches too but only have one. A G-shock GW-056e. It's perfect for me: solar charging, uses the radio signal thingy for perfect time and virtually indestructible. Considering it's a g-shock it's a normal size too & not an inch thick. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cacophonycacophony Frets: 385
    i don't wear a watch, just don't like the feeling of having something on that isn't part of me. same goes for clothes, but what with the law etc after the last 'incident'...

knowing this, my parents bought me for my 21st? ...  a watch. still in it's case in a sock drawer. and i've inherited a couple as well. same sock drawer.

and the current trend of wearing behemoths on the wrist (not a brand name btw) leaves me baffled. some of the things i see people wearing would surely jeopardise the wearer's chances of getting out alive if they ever fell into a canal?.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3845
    beed84 said:
    Seiko 5s are great watches for the money. I was more than happy with mine until I found a very nice Omega Geneve in a charity shop. I couldn't get my £25 out fast enough!
    Very nice buy!

The Geneves were the basic models of the Omega line but still shared the excellent in-house movements of the more expensive models.

These are mine. ....

photo DSCN3499jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28678
    edited August 2016
    Those are lovely!

On the Rolex thing, I absolutely appreciate the engineering in one, and that's a big part of why they still have some appeal, it's genuinely that since moving into a corporate job I've worked with so many people wearing them they have significantly less appeal as a status symbol and a "rare object". Something like a Omega Speedmaster or Seamaster 300 becomes much more attractive because you see them less often.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • vizviz Frets: 11024
    edited August 2016
    axisus said:
    viz said:
    I'm so happy with this one from China - it's an automatic, keeps really good time, and only has a few minor spelling mistakes. 

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab217/Vizzage/Mobile Uploads/image_zpsipe3nqdy.jpeg
    Here for example: http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/JARAGAR-Luxury-Moon-Phase-Calendar-Automatic-Mechanical-Leather-Mens-Watch-D7I1-/262262311108?var=&hash=item3d100d48c4:m:m4NZAAQk2fdsCyu5IVp7Urw&_trkparms=pageci%3A7b1888a3-69d3-11e6-9807-005056bb1831%7Cparentrq%3Abba1fc741560a787c56bcb84fffc07e2%7Ciid%3A1

Please be aware that it thinks January is the 12th month, also that the moonphase is actually just the sun - it's always in the opposite position from the pointer on the same dial - it tells you whether you're in the middle of the night or not; also the date goes up to 39 and includes 00; also that teeny weeny silver hand under the month is glued on. Also the additional information around the day is meaningless. And some of their watches say 'stainless steet' on the back, though for some reason this one doesn't. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    viz said:
    axisus said:
    viz said:

Here for example: http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/JARAGAR-Luxury-Moon-Phase-Calendar-Automatic-Mechanical-Leather-Mens-Watch-D7I1-/262262311108?var=&hash=item3d100d48c4:m:m4NZAAQk2fdsCyu5IVp7Urw&_trkparms=pageci%3A7b1888a3-69d3-11e6-9807-005056bb1831%7Cparentrq%3Abba1fc741560a787c56bcb84fffc07e2%7Ciid%3A1

Please be aware that it thinks January is the 12th month, also that the moonphase is actually just the sun - it's always in the opposite position from the pointer on the same dial - it tells you whether you're in the middle of the night or not; also the date goes up to 39 and includes 00; also that teeny weeny silver hand under the month is glued on. Also the additional information around the day is meaningless. And some of their watches say 'stainless steet' on the back, though for some reason this one doesn't. 
    You mean yours *isn't* stainless steet?!! :open_mouth: 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    Nomad said:
    edbolivar said:

For years I have thought I might do a horology course when I retire (a while yet) as I quite fancy the idea of making a watch/clock.

I've flirted with the idea of making a clock, to the extent of getting a project book to make a particular design (I think it's an 8-day one with weights rather than a mainspring), and searching online for bits of brass and special cutters for the milling machine. It's rather involved, and the special tools can be pricey (and they're on top of slightly less common tooling for the mill itself, such as rotary table and dividing head).

There are wooden & even cardboard clock designs out there - rather than spend a fortune on special tools and all that guff. Why not have a quick go at something like that?
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 863
    edited August 2016
    Here's the two watches I own - 'dress' watch

Everyday watch

Edit: notice the many coloured straps in the background...   I own 9 in total.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30125
    I have a few, mostly inexpensive, but the only two I wear are a Seiko Kinetik for going to the workshop and the woods, and a Bremont Solo for everything else.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    viz said:
    axisus said:
    viz said:

You mean yours *isn't* stainless steet?!! :open_mouth: 
    Well obvs I do have a genuine steet one as well!

http://i865.photobucket.com/albums/ab217/Vizzage/Mobile Uploads/image_zpshgiaswgk.jpeg
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    axisus said:
    viz said:

He's just said China!
    James May called, he wants his shirt back! ;)

:)
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549
    Ravenous said:

There are wooden & even cardboard clock designs out there - rather than spend a fortune on special tools and all that guff. Why not have a quick go at something like that?

Unfortunately, wood and cardboard aren't made out of brass, which is a major part of it (brass is lovely metal to machine). And I already have most of the machines and tools other than the clock-specific cutters.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4491
    I think I've posted these before, but I'm a big fan of Glashutte Original.

Particularly the Hand Date, which I plan on buying one day...

But I really like the Panomatic Lunar...

However, it's a bit pricey for me.

The workmanship is fantastic. I'd spend all day looking through the crystal back at this...

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    CHRISB50 said:
    I think I've posted these before, but I'm a big fan of Glashutte Original.

Particularly the Hand Date, which I plan on buying one day...

I like that a lot!