Quick question re. bloom in cellulose clearcoat

What's Hot
Hi all - quick bit of advice needed.

I've been clearcoating my guitar body with cellulose and, thinking the retardant would be my saviour, put on a couple of wet coats when it was lashing down with rain outside.  Anyway, lesson learned.

Thing is, the bloom is not only on the face of the body where it's easy to sand, but in right awkward spots too (inside horn, bottom of Floyd recess).

Do I need to sand back to 320, or would giving it a light coat of lacquer thinned 50:50 do the trick without sanding?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3967
    I'd definitely 'key' it up if I were you. It'll avoid adhesion issues along the line. 320 is ok, I usually use a fine scouring pad for such needs.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7127
    edited September 2016 tFB Trader
    As a first step, I'd try just spraying a coat of 50/50 thinners and retarder, see if that clears it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • randellarandella Frets: 4386
    Thank you very much. I'll try a dose of thinners first, although it's damp this evening and has been raining off and on so I'll leave it for now :)

If that fails, I'll try keying up the surface a bit. @Deadman - just out of curiosity, could you tell me exactly which scouring pads you use? 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3967
    I use Mirka Mirlons bud. They're dark red and very fine grade.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ewalewal Frets: 2657
    I think I had blooming issues with one of my refinishes, and I didn't do anything specific - just another coat sorted it. But listen to the other guys, they know what they're talking about.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4386
    @Deadman much appreciated! I've heard people talk about them but never managed to find exactly what they mean. I see they sell them at Axminster, will pick some up. 
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851
    this stuff is like absolute magic.I can't remember where I bought it here in the UK as this is from a USA site, but it's definitely out there, this is the stuff I used to use when I started out using aerosols, as a bonus it smells delicious, probably highly toxic but...
    http://www.woodcraft.com/product/811454/behlen-jet-spray-blush-eraser.aspx
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3023
    lamf68 said:
    this stuff is like absolute magic.I can't remember where I bought it here in the UK as this is from a USA site, but it's definitely out there, this is the stuff I used to use when I started out using aerosols, as a bonus it smells delicious, probably highly toxic but...
    http://www.woodcraft.com/product/811454/behlen-jet-spray-blush-eraser.aspx
    I worry about you, forever lost in a chemical haze down the shed..