Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Songs that make you cringe

What's Hot

Comments

• A big fat +1 on this.

Yay :)

But on the other hand I like Uptown Funk. Its fun.
    Boo :(
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've always liked Queen but tend to think of DSMN as a bit of a novelty song.

Hearing the Quireboys on the way home from work today, they'd have to fall into this category for me. I can't take Spike seriously, the way he sings... Plus their rinky-dink piano boogie pub rock sound. Shite.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Probably the worst of all time is Teddy Bear by Red Sovine, fortunately it's not something you hear at all really, so not a present danger, though that's what I used to think about Seasons in The Sun...  (DO NOT Google it, DO NOT! You'll be sorry)
    I actually can't name some of the worst cak, but Bob Harris plays a lot of it. Either the over produced super slick "rockin' country" about Mustangs & other brand names or stuff like The CIvil Wars pseudo indie country. (I really like a lot of Country music though & some Mustangs for that matter).
    Some I can name, or almost name are- My Ding a Ling by Chuck Berry- He was capable of so much more than that & I think it was his biggest British Hit.
    Robin (Robert?) Thicke- Blurred Lines
    Blur- Girls N Boys & Country House
    Maroon 5- This Love, or what ever it's called
    The Cardigans- Love Me Love Me Say that you love me...
    Deacon Blue- the one where they go "whoo whoo"
    Agree about all those horrors like the Kooks, Feeling, Scouting for Girls that seemed to be on a loop tape on the work radio.
    Last, but by no means least, Kid Rock- Sweet Home Alabama derivative thing, don't know its name.

In the end it's only taste & not a moral issue, so who cares? Some of these really lowered my quality of life for a while though.
  • stickersticker Frets: 869
    Wizzard - I wish it could be Christmas every day gets me every fucking year , firstly "the snowman" cannot "bring the snow" it needs to be in position for the snowman to exist in the first place , the kiddie choir is just awful and it's everywhere from October 'til January ...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    4 Non Blondes - 'What's Up?'  I truly LOATHE that piece of utter shit.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2218
    edited September 2016

Don't Stop Believin' - Journey (it f***ing sucks, I hated it way before Glee made it even more unbearable)

Absolutely every note ever recorded by Starship (my hatred of them knows very few bounds)

Where Do You Go To My Lovely - Peter Sarstedt (one of the creepiest songs ever recorded, unmitigated pretension)

Most Guns & Roses (cringeworthy over-rated arse-gravy, the state of US rock music in the late 80s, honestly... thank f**k for Nirvana, that's all I can say)

Franz Ferdinand - Matinee (I love most of their stuff, but this one just makes my spine curl in embarrassment, lyrically abysmal)

Stadium-rock-era Kings Of Leon (the rule is, if you can't understand what they're singing, that's the period when they were absolutely brilliant...after that? Sex On Fire? Piss off...)

Kula Shaker - Govinda (I don't feel I need to explain this one...urgh...)

Manic Street Preachers - Tsunami (*thinks back to the Richie era, weeps at how incredible the Manics used to be, and the abhorrent IKEA-rock sh*te they expel these days...shocking)

Noel Harrison - Windmills Of Your Mind (the most pretentious bag of balls lyrics imaginable...just a list of bad similes posing as "deep" philosophy...beyond what this universe knows as "awful", one of my highest on the cringe factor)

That is just for starters, I'll definitely be back to this thread again.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Also...

I can't stand post-Syd Pink Floyd... really can't abide them.

Will I get chucked of the FB for saying this? Sorry. I had to say it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulk said:
    4 Non Blondes - 'What's Up?'  I truly LOATHE that piece of utter shit.

Bang on.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    edited September 2016

Manic Street Preachers - Tsunami (*thinks back to the Richie era, weeps at how incredible the Manics used to be, and the abhorrent IKEA-rock sh*te they expel these days...shocking)

Yep., I've been revisiting Richie era Manics recently.  Holy Bible even if one despises it, it is a very unique piece of music making be it in the context of British indie bands or otherwise, which can't be said about their recent output which is very MOR. 

The song that makes me cringe is Lionel Richie 'Hello'. 

Agree with the Wizzard Christmas song.  That and the Slade one make me want to kill. 
  • Probably the worst of all time is Teddy Bear by Red Sovine, fortunately it's not something you hear at all really, so not a present danger, though that's what I used to think about Seasons in The Sun...  (DO NOT Google it, DO NOT! You'll be sorry)
    I actually can't name some of the worst cak, but Bob Harris plays a lot of it. Either the over produced super slick "rockin' country" about Mustangs & other brand names or stuff like The CIvil Wars pseudo indie country. (I really like a lot of Country music though & some Mustangs for that matter).
    Some I can name, or almost name are- My Ding a Ling by Chuck Berry- He was capable of so much more than that & I think it was his biggest British Hit.
    Robin (Robert?) Thicke- Blurred Lines
    Blur- Girls N Boys & Country House
    Maroon 5- This Love, or what ever it's called
    The Cardigans- Love Me Love Me Say that you love me...
    Deacon Blue- the one where they go "whoo whoo"
    Agree about all those horrors like the Kooks, Feeling, Scouting for Girls that seemed to be on a loop tape on the work radio.
    Last, but by no means least, Kid Rock- Sweet Home Alabama derivative thing, don't know its name.

In the end it's only taste & not a moral issue, so who cares? Some of these really lowered my quality of life for a while though.

My giddy tits, do I hate The Kooks... wafer-thin Sainsburys ad schmindie BALLS, singing with a Northern accent even though you're from Brighton. Sh*t off, Kooks, just sh*t off.
  • Don't hold back mate...
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    I wanna dance with somebody - Witney Houston (just dance with her someone just to shut the annoying bint up)

Everything I do - Brian Adams (arrrrrrrggggghhhhh)

My heart will go on - Celine Dion (no words... its just awful)

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1528
    edited September 2016
    man I feel like a woman - shania twain.

Im not one for hating songs, but this one makes me want to hack my ears off to ease the pain. Normally I just flick over to a different radio station though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72244
    edited September 2016
    It must be the combination of Bryan Adams and Celine Dion in the previous post that made us think of it, but I was going to say exactly that as well... you beat me to it :).

Utterly horrendous record.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Aw shit. Yes Shania Twain's song is god-awful.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• I was minding my own business in a pizza emporium today when 'I can be your hero baby' wafted out of the speakers.

i could feel parts of my soul leaving my body.
  • Limp Biskit's take on The Who's Behind Blue Eyes. Fucking dreadful. They miss the point of the original song completely. The aggression & emotional charge of the Who's original is completely ignored and left without any of the redeeming features which made their version good. It's almost as if Fred Durst only knew the first verse and tried to remember how it went throughout the entire song.

The other one that makes me want to smash the radio anytime I hear it was that song, Someone I Used To Know. I know its musically not bad, but I just cannot stand the song. It's probably the male singer trying to do a Sting impression that annoys me.
  • The Kill by La Roux(??) there's a weird beep all the way through, it's like someone's Casio watch alarm going off... Drives me nuts. 

• JJW1JJW1 Frets: 6
    Blinded By The Light by Manfred Man....I just can't listen to the ruination of a song I love.