Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Singers who aged well vocally

What's Hot
Just listening to KXM, the self titled album by dUg from Kings X, George Lynch, and Korn's drummer Ray Luzier) and discovered dUg is 66, and would've been 63/64 at the time of recording this album.

Also recently bought Book Of Souls and while it isn't my favourite Maiden album Bruce still sounds great in his late 50s.

So since a lot of big rock/metal acts are getting older now who else is still sounding good 50+?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Robert Plant. His "mature" voice sounds fantastic on his recent solo stuff. Nothing like the high screams he was doing in his 20s with LZ but it really suits the material he does now. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Tony Bennett </thread>
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Tom Jones. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6435
    edited September 2016
    +1 for Bruce Dickinson. Singing better than ever, IMHO

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2912
    I don't really get the Bruce love recently... He gets more nasal with each passing year.

Paul Rodgers has aged really well in pretty much every way. He's more than twice my age and in better shape than me.
  • Robert Plant. His "mature" voice sounds fantastic on his recent solo stuff. Nothing like the high screams he was doing in his 20s with LZ but it really suits the material he does now. 
    Yep. I think there was a period when his voice and his choice of material didn't mesh so well, but it's over now. 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5128
    edited September 2016
    My nominations:

aged well vocally, you said.

...and this dude is knocking on a bit now too:

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    Leonard Cohen.
    His voice gets better as he gets older. 
    By the time he's 94 his range will be down to just one note but it will be truly golden.
  • Tom Jones. 
    To be fair he started off with about 800hp worth of vocal power which was a nice head start, but from what I've heard recently he's still sounding good
  • Sammy Hagar - I saw him with Chickenfoot 4 years ago & for a 64-year old he was brilliant.

As was Michael Anthony - I never knew

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    Mike Patton still sounds absolutely flawless and I think he hits the big five-oh next year. Well...when he isn't making stupid noises just for the hell of it.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    Bidley said:
    I don't really get the Bruce love recently... He gets more nasal with each passing year.

Paul Rodgers has aged really well in pretty much every way. He's more than twice my age and in better shape than me.
    He's had quite a lot of "work" done.

To be fair he's also lost weight and looked after himself well in recent years.  Go on Youtube and find footage of him from Guitar Legends Seville 92.  He didn't look quite so good then - although he did look a lot more natural.
  • Paul Rodgers' voice is out of this world. Always looks totally effortless as well. Bastard!

He may look like your grandad in drag these days, but Steven Tyler's voice is still pretty good, although I haven't seen anything super-recent, but unless his voice has tailed off in the last 5 years...?

• Paul Buchanan.
  • stickersticker Frets: 869

Glenn Tilbrook

• vizviz Frets: 10645
    Shanice!! Really good! 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 679
    Eddie Vedder
  • bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1894
    edited September 2016
    Robert Cray is as good as or better than ever. Start at 10:30 for the full effect!

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    Robbie Williams

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom