Amp build with 400v @ 3 amps of HT available?

4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3132
edited September 2016 in Making & Modding tFB Trader
Watching a couple of power transformers on eBay at the moment.  One has HT of 400v at 3 amps the other 350v at 2 amps ...They look bigger than my head and weigh 18kg each.

The sensible person in me is saying that's too much current and voltage for anything practical. The mad professor is imagining some Goliath of a bass amp with 4x KT88 or something silly ... Not that I'd find a suitable OT anywhere.

Out of interest any idea what such big transformers would have been originally used for?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1747
    Watching a couple of power transformers on eBay at the moment.  One has HT of 400v at 3 amps the other 350v at 2 amps ...They look bigger than my head and weigh 18kg each.

The sensible person in me is saying that's too much current and voltage for anything practical. The mad professor is imagining some Goliath of a bass amp with 4x KT88 or something silly ... Not that I'd find a suitable OT anywhere.

Out of interest any idea what such big transformers would have been originally used for?

Oh I don't know! Maybe Blackstar will flog you an S1 200 OPT? Mind you, that HT is fused at 1A so the 3A traff would still be overkill (200W STEREO! ? "Get thee behind me!) .

There were some pretty big mother amps made for hospital headphone distribution and factory PA. I worked on one with EL31s and about an 800V anode supply.

Dave.

• SporkySporky Frets: 30210
    If the mains transformer along weighs 18kgf then the finished amp will be what, a seventh of a tonne or so?

Might as well add a seat and build in a small engine to move it about.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    If the 400V is AC that will indeed be suitable for a monster KT88/6550-type bass amp - they typically use a B+ of around 600V, so that's quite likely what they're for. If they're not from audio amps they might be for a radio transmitter or something.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1649
    edited September 2016
    Do a huge quad channel amp with all 4 channels at the same time. 
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2755
    The Hammond 1650W will easily do 400W in the mid band.