SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD: 65 Amps Marquee Club 4xEL84 18w/36w Marshall/Vox style head, matching 65 Amps 2x12 if required

What's Hot
TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
edited October 2016 in Amps £
Up for sale is my 65 Amps Marquee Club head from 2007.  This is a very early 65 Amps Blue Line model (the second model released after the London) so it's quite a rare thing and unfortunately it's no longer made, which is a shame.  It's a superb 'boutique' amp, fully hand wired with top quality components throughout including Mercury Magnetics transformers.  It runs an ECC83 based preamp and an EL84 power section.  The preamp has two channels, each with high and low inputs, and they can be jumpered like an old Plexi.

The 'Vox' side has volume/tone/colour controls and is nicely mid-focused - warm and British sounding.  The 'Selmer/Marshall' channel has volume/treble/middle/bass controls and can be sparkly bright for clean/rock or warm for blues.  This channel also has a 'bump' switch which increases mids and gain and it can be toggled from a footswitch.  There is also a global Vox-style 'cut' control which covers both channels.  The power section is valve rectified, cathode biased and has a half power switch so you can run it at 36w or 18w.

One thing to note is that this is a gigging amp.  It's HUGE sounding and it's loud - definitely not one for bedroom levels of valve overdrive!  It makes a fantastic clean pedal platform though, and if you're lucky enough to be able to crank it up a bit the overdrive is fabulous.  It was purposely designed to be a little 'loose' with minimal filtering and a pure signal path with few components.  As a result it can be a little hissy/noisy/etc - completely unnoticeable in a band mix, but if you're playing at low volume at home you'll hear it from time to time and on certain settings.  There's nothing wrong with the amp, it's how it is and part of the character it has and it's all the better for it!  It stops it from being just another sterile sounding guitar amp.

Great review and some history of the amp here:  http://www.mercurymagnetics.com/pages/news/ToneQuest/_2007/TQRJan07-2.htm

The amp is in excellent condition, just some slight marks on the tolex from light use.  If needed, I also have a matching 65 Amps 2x12 cabinet fitted with a Celestion Alnico Blue and an (upgraded from stock) Celestion G12H30 Heritage 75Hz speaker that I can sell with the head as a pair.  The cab is also in excellent condition, the speakers are probably only just broken in(!), and both the head and cab come with Roqsolid fitted covers.

Due to the size and weight it'll probably have to be cash on collection, especially if you want the pair.  I can probably post the head only if that's what you want.  I'm in South Manchester and can deliver/meet if you're reasonably local.

I'd like £1099 SOLD for the pair.  Thanks for looking, and here are the pics:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Hi,

interestd in this, and based in Liverpool. Do you have a contact number I could give you a call on?

Cheers

Al
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Hi Al @algroves1 ;- sure, I'll PM you my number
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2016
    Head sold pending payment and collection.

Cab still available if anyone wants it separately @ £399  :)
    "algroves1" didn't turn up today as planned and is not replying to PMs or text messages, so this rig is back up for sale.

Don't you just hate timewasters?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • riscadoriscado Frets: 180
    edited September 2016
    I've heard the marquee runs it's first stage ecc83 as a cascode input, so almost going for the sound and response of an EF86 with the reliability and mechanical resistance of an ecc83, it's an interesting setup. Ought to be a good amp.

Good luck with the sale
    Thanks @riscado , that's correct for the Vox-style channel.  The Marshall/Selmer-style channel is just a straight ahead ECC83 based one  :)
  • riscadoriscado Frets: 180
    edited September 2016
    cool setup, I've had my share of 65 amps, they're good amps. good luck with the sale
  • Hi...pics not working to view my end..
    Interested...would love to see photos 1st though...cheers
    Harmonics72
    Sorry @Harmonics72 , the pics should be fixed now?  Let me know if not  :)
  • Thanks @Twinfan .
    Pics all good now..
    I am currently abroad but am usually based down south (Dorset).
    Pretty far from Manchester.
    Still open minded but will need to see how realistic a trek like this is for an albeit fab amp and cab.
    Would you mind pm' ing me with your tel no?
    Chat maybe tomorrow or weekend?
    Ta
    @Harmonics72
    No problem @Harmonics72 , I'll message you now...
    Bump up on a Monday morning for this fabulous amp  :)
    Back to the top please!
    Up again!
    A quick bump to say that I'll be in Brentwood, Essex on the 26th and 27th October and can bring both the amp and cab with me if required.  Thought it might help anyone in the South East who would be interested...
    On hold pending a sale tonight...
  • Good luck Dave - very nice amps indeed, I need you to introduce me to your landscape gardener, not only do you have enviable gear but a lovely back garden!

Ha ha, cheers SimpleSimon! You'll be needing Matthews Landscaping from Congleton:  www.matthewslandscaping.co.uk