Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The old rosewood v maple debate...

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 31591
Obviously we all have a view on this, but yes, I can hear a difference

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dindudedindude Frets: 8629
    He did a good job of that, I got the neck and bridge blind rest right, but not the middle position.
    its subtle, but the maple def had more attack. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    The correct answer is of course that Ebony trounces both ! B)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    dindude said:
    He did a good job of that, I got the neck and bridge blind rest right, but not the middle position.
    its subtle, but the maple def had more attack. 
    Exactly my thoughts.

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15428
    tFB Trader
    I believe there is a difference - be it often subtle - But it is still the sum of the parts that matters - Rosewood boards are nearly always on an alder body, whereas maple boards are often on alder or ash, so this will have an impact as well

To a large degree, I was brought up with guitars from the late 70's and I hated maple necks - Yet having sold so many C/Shop 50's and 60's models  I realise both have great attributes and as such I just prefer a good guitar, be it MN or RN - So my hate for 70's maple necks is obviously based on a poor period for Fender, small frets, thick treacle style lacquer and poor playing performance

Today I generally still favour RN on a Strat but MN on a Tele - for whatever reason that is
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2016
    I believe there is a difference - be it often subtle - But it is still the sum of the parts that matters - Rosewood boards are nearly always on an alder body, whereas maple boards are often on alder or ash, so this will have an impact as well

To a large degree, I was brought up with guitars from the late 70's and I hated maple necks - Yet having sold so many C/Shop 50's and 60's models  I realise both have great attributes and as such I just prefer a good guitar, be it MN or RN - So my hate for 70's maple necks is obviously based on a poor period for Fender, small frets, thick treacle style lacquer and poor playing performance

Today I generally still favour RN on a Strat but MN on a Tele - for whatever reason that is
    I was thinking exactly this earlier. I thought it was a good idea to use a thinline where the body wood would have a lesser effect on the tone.

The relative density of the maple in both necks would also have an input to the tone. And whether round lam or slab too. I think slabs sound more 'rosewood' than round lams.

I always go back to the fact my ears prefer maple, my finger tips prefer rosewood.

• rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1473
    Ash is better in the log burner
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    tFB Trader
    @Gassage ;
    The relative density of the maple in both necks would also have an input to the tone. And whether round lam or slab too. I think slabs sound more 'rosewood' than round lams.

Agree
  • I prefer maple on a Tele and rosewood on a Strat generally. 

But there are some Strat colours I like with maple. 

I make no apology whatsoever for saying my preferences are purely cosmetic. As far as sound goes I hear some difference but not enough to worry. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2016
    @Gassage ;;

Agree
    When I went on my pre CBS strat hunt, I was offered a couple of gems of 50's maple strats- a mint 56 and a decent 55.

However, in my mind's eye, I had a rosewood board 3TSB and that's what I wanted so I guess that makes me a rosewood board man.

• The first Strat I ever owned was a late 70s maple neck/ash body. It 'had' to be maple, as pretty much all my favourite players played 50s Strats.

When I went vintage, 50s guitars were beyond my reach - so I went down the rosewood route (I owned a '65 3tsb and a '63 in Fiesta Red). From there on its been rosewood all the way - until I bought my 2006 56 Relic a few weeks ago....

Big (but very comfortable) one piece maple neck, light(ish) ash body - and a tone to die for. Incredible depth of tone - yet clear and 'present' - without ever sounding close to harsh (even on the bridge pick-up). 

I genuinely believe it's the best sounding Fender guitar I've ever owned. Whether the 'Maple' element is a significant factor, I don't know - but as a working whole - it's an exceptional guitar.

- but as a working whole -
    A good selection of those in Old Compton St if ever you need another.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:

You possibly misunderstood my meaning :) 

To be fair, this often happens, I find....
    Gassage said:

You possibly misunderstood my meaning :) 

To be fair, this often happens, I find....
    When would I ever misunderstand for the sake of a cheap Frankie Howard style quip?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Gassage said:

I had to read that twice to get your message !!!!!!!!!!!!!! - so I assume LOL
  • Gassage said:
    When would I ever misunderstand for the sake of a cheap Frankie Howard style quip?
    When I was at the pub on Friday, I asked for a double entendre - so the barmaid gave me one....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11725
    I'd agree that there seems to be more attack with maple in my experience, but almost all of the maple board Strats and Teles I've tried have been the 50's construction where the fingerboard is part of the neck, rather than separate.  I do wonder whether one with a separate soundboard would still show the same difference.

My guess is that it would show the same difference with a separate board as I think I can hear a difference between rosewood and ebony board guitars but I don't know if anyone has experience to bear this out.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    My fave feeling Strats tend to have rosewood boards, but most of my fave Strat tones have come from maple boarded guitars. But that is nowhere near an exclusive thing...

This is a great vid, imho and yes I can hear a minute difference - whether or not that would make a difference to a recorded track or a live performance is a bit moot. However, as we've discussed before if the feel of a guitar fits the player,  then they will play differently and this will translate into a different sound. Therefore, whether one sounds better or not may depend on your playing disposition.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• crunchman said:
    I'd agree that there seems to be more attack with maple in my experience, but almost all of the maple board Strats and Teles I've tried have been the 50's construction where the fingerboard is part of the neck, rather than separate.  I do wonder whether one with a separate soundboard would still show the same difference.
    I acquired a '63 neck which had been fitted at some point with a replacement maple board. The Strat you often see Mark Knopfler with earlier in his career had a neck just like it.

I fitted it to a late '80s '62 Reissue body - for a a while, it was my main gigging guitar.

It always sounded less bright if the 'very' high end and sweeter/clearer in the mid-range - than rosewood - but obviously there were many factors that contribute to the overall sound of a guitar.

I think there is a tonal similarity with maple neck Strats which you can hear in many players (early MK, EC, later period Gilmour, Richard Thompson, etc). To my ears, those tones sound quite different to (say) SRV, Robert Cray and Chris Rea - even though they all sound obviously 'Stratty'.
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    What about Rory G? His Strat sound was biting, cutting and bright... yet a rosewood boarded guitar (mainly).
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• carloscarlos Frets: 3689
    Can't watch right now but does it feature soundwave comparison at any point? If not, pointless