Washers under CTS Strat pots?

What's Hot
My partscaster volume knob is sitting proud and when I looked under the pickguard it confirmed there's no washer there. Should there be two (regular flat one plus serrated one) and do they serve function linked to grounding?!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    There should be a serrated washer on the inside, and sometimes (but not always) a plain washer on the outside under the nut. No plain on the inside even if there isn't on the outside.

The purpose is to lock the pot to the pickguard and stop it working loose. It might marginally improve the ground contact but it should be pretty good anyway - unless the pot is actually loose.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Thanks. I got hold of 2 washers which were fractionally too small so I've put in a little rubber washer. Presumably it's safe (if unauthentic)?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Safe, but there's a possibility that will break the ground connection. You're now relying on a contact on the very edge of the foil around the hole.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    edited September 2016 tFB Trader
    If the pot has "medium" length shaft, I always put a nut on first, then the star washer. 

If you need any spare nuts I'd be happy to send you some.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    tFB Trader
    I tend to use a second nut at the base of the pot shaft and then the jagged washer leaving just enough room on top for a nut and washer. I also like a clear earth path or bus bar across the back of the pots. Relying on the foil for earh path is a bit hit and miss.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Aah, it's clearly more important than I'd thought! Thanks to all. Will get washer that fits...
    tFB Trader
    I also like a clear earth path or bus bar across the back of the pots. Relying on the foil for earth path is a bit hit and miss.
    Yes, I usually use thick copper wire from a 1971 Rover P6 high tension battery cable for this, but since refitting our kitchen, the earth wire from left-over 45 amp cooker cable lets me totally over-engineer the earth bus.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Anyone know what star washer sizes are e.g. Is M12 12 mm in outer diameter? Need to order one or two...
    tFB Trader
    M10 would be best I think. The M size refers to the nominal thread diameter and the pot shaft is 3/8"or 9.5mm.
  • 9.5mm looks the one. Ta. 
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11994
    tFB Trader
    I tend to use a second nut at the base of the pot shaft and then the jagged washer leaving just enough room on top for a nut and washer. I also like a clear earth path or bus bar across the back of the pots. Relying on the foil for earh path is a bit hit and miss.
    We always do the earth bus bar too on our pre-made harnesses, I would never rely on the foil.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message