Anything Wez can do... (rolled fretboard edges)

What's Hot
..I can do, you know, a bit less well, but hopefully well enough!

Spurred by @WezV's little video of his method for rolling fretboard edge, I thought I'd put one of the  last touches on the JM build and take the corners off the fretboard binding. IIRC Musikraft would've done this for me but I didn't know how far they'd go and figured it was something I could do myself. 

So using my Cabronita as a guide (since it's another of Wez's brilliantly-done rolled-edge boards!) I took a stanley blade to my newest guitar. 

It started like this. Very square edges and a little uncomfortable for playing chords.

After only about 30 minutes I'd done the whole lot. Slowly at first while I got the hang of the right angle and pressure, but pretty soon I was in the swing of it and I'm very happy with the result. I've taken more from the lower frets than the higher ones as that's where it really counts

The difference is colour is purely due to the contract between the newly-exposed white binding and the outside edge of the binding which already has some tinted lacquer sprayed on it. It's actually much less noticeable in real life. 

This pic hopefully shows how much material has been removed - it's a really small amount but it makes a huge difference to the feel of the neck.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments