Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What's the worst track on a Beatles album?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ewalewal Frets: 2582
    I haven't heard most of the songs mentioned in this thread... Not surprising considering I've only ever listened to their compilation albums.
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Savoy Truffle (despite a corking brass section) is pretty crap.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12351
    Has to be Revolution no 9. Unlistenable pretentious crap. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33784
    edited September 2016
    Have people heard Laibach's version of 'The One After 909'?
    It is pretty interesting.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6264
    I like ROcky Racoon. Its a good story.

Worst - I don;t like O BLa Di or Ocotpus's Garden. That is terrible.
  • Skarloey said:
    @Octahedron- don't you like the Beatles then mate?

@english_bob I almost put "Don't Pass Me By" as well. Atrocious song, especially that line, "you were in a car crash and you lost your hair". I remember being about 17 hearing that for the first time and thinking 'what is this SHIT?'

What's worse is that I think that's the song that, according to the excellent book Revolution in the Head, Ringo was working on for a year or two. The mind boggles.
    Really, how'd you guess @Skarloey ?? They're overrated IMO. That's not to say they didn't build an incredible legacy, and they had a huge impact. But I just personally think they're overrated. I can tolerate them! I just think they're totally overrated. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • @Octahedron ; Fair comment, my man. FWIW I only own one Beatles album, and I hardly ever listen to that.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72259
    edited September 2016
    If you don't want to start on the individual albums you can do a lot worse than the 'red' and 'blue' albums - 1962-1966 and 1967-1970. Although there are a few gems that got missed, by and large they're a very well-chosen range of the songs that made the Beatles great, and I don't think there are any stinkers on them… assuming you can stand Yellow Submarine or Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da :).

As a teenager they were the only Beatles albums I owned - I actually had them on the special edition red and blue vinyl, which wasn't really a great thing in the end because the vinyl was softer than the normal black and wore out - I played the blue one especially heavily.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12351
    Skarloey said:

@english_bob I almost put "Don't Pass Me By" as well. Atrocious song, especially that line, "you were in a car crash and you lost your hair". I remember being about 17 hearing that for the first time and thinking 'what is this SHIT?'

What's worse is that I think that's the song that, according to the excellent book Revolution in the Head, Ringo was working on for a year or two. The mind boggles.
    Really, how'd you guess @Skarloey ?? They're overrated IMO. That's not to say they didn't build an incredible legacy, and they had a huge impact. But I just personally think they're overrated. I can tolerate them! I just think they're totally overrated. 
    I don't know how old you are but it's hard to overstate how massively important they were to the music scene at the time, particularly when they went into their psychedelic era. The first time I heard I am the Walrus it was gobsmacking stuff. Everyone talked about them. Mainstream music had never, ever sounded like that before. So no, they weren't overrated. 
  • @icbm I listened to all the albums to death when I was a lot younger. They were all either borrowed vinyl or cassette copies which never got replaced.

By and large I was disappointed with the 09 reissues. Had they released the individual albums on mono rather than as a box set I'd have got them, as I love the Beatles in mono.

I don't know if they've remixed ALL the back catalogue in time for some future cash-in, since the 2015 reissue of the '1' compilation which went along with the DVD release last Xmas is a fabulous disk, with none of the 'loudness' affecting the 09 remasters.

They're just lovely, balanced, proper stereo mixes.

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6055
    Let It Be (song not the album) gets a little more naff every time I hear it.
  • Skarloey said:

So just to be clear, you think they're overrated right?
  • RaveRave Frets: 268
    Yesterday.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogieman said:
    Skarloey said:

I don't know how old you are but it's hard to overstate how massively important they were to the music scene at the time, particularly when they went into their psychedelic era. The first time I heard I am the Walrus it was gobsmacking stuff. Everyone talked about them. Mainstream music had never, ever sounded like that before. So no, they weren't overrated. 
    Uh huh. FWIW I'm 24.

And, I didn't say they weren't important. I actually said "That's not to say they didn't build an incredible legacy and they had a huge impact..." But remember, it's my opinion. I think they're overrated. Personally. I've heard some great covers of some of their songs, for example Aerosmith's version of Come Together. 

So. I'm not saying they haven't written great songs. And I'm not saying they got to where they are without any good reason. I just think they're really a mixed bag and hugely overrated IMO. 

Not everyone's cuppa. :) 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/

• SidNewton said:
    Skarloey said:

So just to be clear, you think they're overrated right?
    I don't recall ever saying that @SidNewton ;
    :)