Broken Danelectro pedal.

photekphotek Frets: 1507
This is quite possibly a waste of time but i just powered up a danelectro cool cat transparent overdrive v2 with a centre positive supply by mistake. It is now 'rubber ducked' is it likely to be an easy fix?

It does make a sound but it is extremely quiet and fizzy.

Thanks gents.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It has a reverse polarity protection diode but the fact that it now sounds screwed suggest that that blew and you have damaged the circuit, most likely the electrolytic caps in the power filter or voltage divider.  Without opening it up it would be difficult to tell but if you do open it the electro caps may be visibly 'popped'.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • photekphotek Frets: 1507
    Cool. I will open it up and have a look. Nothing to lose I guess. Cheers.
    Nothing looks obviously popped. Just tried it on a battery and there is no sound when the pedal is on. Bypass is fine.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 2065
    The protection diode may have short circuited when it blew. Connect the battery up again, switch it on and see if battery gets warm.....or even hot! Never opened one of these up but I guess it may be all surface mount components which are not so easy to track down / replace.
    Battery is staying cold. Components are surface mounted and tiny! Oh well, does anyone want it for the price of postage. Just a paperweight to me at the moment, shame really as I bloody love it as a clean boost.
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 148
    Ill take it if thats ok will pm tomorrow
  • I also have a cool cat overdrive. In my case it's as noisy as hell when powered from a wall wart psu, but it's OK on a battery. At least that was the state I remember last time I tried it.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    I also have a cool cat overdrive. In my case it's as noisy as hell when powered from a wall wart psu, but it's OK on a battery. At least that was the state I remember last time I tried it.
    Sounds like a faulty PSU - modern switch-mode power supplies seem particularly prone to it, although an old transformer type will too if the smoothing cap fails. Some pedals are affected by them, some aren't.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein