Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bands you tried to hate - but failed

What's Hot
rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1381
An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    One Direction :-$
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28138
    Fightstar.

Everyone told me they must be awful because of the Busted thing, but they aren't. I feel suitably ashamed.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Not that I tried to hate them but more didn't give them a chance.

Coldplay - a rush of blood to the head is an amazing album. 

The Smiths

Disturbed - great running music. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Enter Shikari.

I think they're just not for people with no musical sense of humour.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    Sporky said:
    Fightstar.

Everyone told me they must be awful because of the Busted thing, but they aren't. I feel suitably ashamed.
    Which reminds me of another for me... Busted L-)
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I liked some of Busted's stuff. Good honest pop.

I didn't like his post-Fightstar stuff much though.
  • Van Halen.

I am a child of 90s alternative, and Nirvana was the band that thankfully killed off ridiculous spandexed poodle-rock overnight, BUT... I just can't help but love Van Halen. Jump and Why Can't This Be Love? are just f*ckawesome.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    edited September 2016
    Motley Crue.
    Yes, they are ridiculous and easy to write off as useless junkies but Nikki Sixx is a good songwriter.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    Motley Crue.
    Yes, they are ridiculous and easy to write off as useless junkies but Nikki Sixx is a good songwriter.
    He hides it well.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4999

Van Halen.

I am a child of 90s alternative, and Nirvana was the band that thankfully killed off ridiculous spandexed poodle-rock overnight, BUT... I just can't help but love Van Halen. Jump and Why Can't This Be Love? are just f*ckawesome.

The idea that Nirvana killed it off overnight is a myth. They came at the end of a massive sea change, and glam rockers became grunge rockers. 
    Slash and Izzy loved Aerosmith in 87. Gossard and McCready loved Aerosmtih in 1992. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28335
    The Spice Girls. I'm in love with two of their songs/videos in particular:

Viva Forever and 2 become 1
    edited September 2016
    Reverend said:

Van Halen.

The idea that Nirvana killed it off overnight is a myth. They came at the end of a massive sea change, and glam rockers became grunge rockers. 
    Slash and Izzy loved Aerosmith in 87. Gossard and McCready loved Aerosmtih in 1992. 
    There is a fair bit if similarity between some grunge bands and the glam metal bands they replaced.
    For instance, Alice in Chains and Stone Temple Pilots were not hugely different to being glam rock bands just with more serious drug problems.

What happened though was Smells Like Teen Spirit knocked off Warrant's 'Cherry Pie' from the No 1 spot.
    It is seen as being a significant shift in popular music.

The whole sex/drugs/rock n roll thing of the 80's became replaced with drug addiction/rock/introspection.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    I was a bit of a late starter to Dog Eat Dog, and I hated the way they looked (remember seeing them on TOTP back in the mid 90s), but damn...'Who's The King' is so goddamn catchy.
    octatonic said:
    Motley Crue.
    He hides it well.
    Kickstart My Heart is a great tune.
    Dr Feelgood as well.

They are still ridiculous though.
    While we are in glam land- Steel Panther.
    I wanted to hate them but they are fucking excellent at distilling 80's excess into something that is very clever (in a nudge nudge, wink wink post-modern kinda way) and very funny.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 4999
    octatonic said:
    Reverend said:

Van Halen.

There is a fair bit if similarity between some grunge bands and the glam metal bands they replaced.
    For instance, Alice in Chains and Stone Temple Pilots were not hugely different to being glam rock bands just with more serious drug problems.

What happened though was Smells Like Teen Spirit knocked off Warrant's 'Cherry Pie' from the No 1 spot.

The whole sex/drugs/rock n roll thing of the 80's became replaced with drug addiction/rock/introspection.
    It definitely was seen as it by some, but remember the glam DJs all played Soundgarden in 1990. 1991 was actually the second coming of grunge. In 89 it was everywhere. Although usually just referred to as Sub Pop music. The lieks of FNM, RHCP and Soundgarden had already made massive inroads to rock culture. FNM crowds were full of grindcore shirts and glam shirts. 

They thing that actually had the biggest impact on popular rock music here seems to have been rave culture. 
  • Everyone seems to hate "The 1975", but I quite like them. Haven't heard the second album though but the first has some great stuff on it. 
    Reverend said:
    octatonic said:
    Reverend said:

Van Halen.

It definitely was seen as it by some, but remember the glam DJs all played Soundgarden in 1990. 1991 was actually the second coming of grunge. In 89 it was everywhere. Although usually just referred to as Sub Pop music. The lieks of FNM, RHCP and Soundgarden had already made massive inroads to rock culture. FNM crowds were full of grindcore shirts and glam shirts. 

They thing that actually had the biggest impact on popular rock music here seems to have been rave culture. 
    Agree.

Grunge is a pretty weird grouping of bands anyway.
    I mean, what do Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains, Mudhoney, Melvins actually have in common?
    For the most part it was more of a geographic grouping, than an artistic/content one.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1508
    I thought grunge was mostly about the fashion as well as geography.
  • Limp Bizkit, I actually succeeded in hating them all through the 90s but somehow now I quite like them...must be nostaligia I reckon.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ