Looking for a good charcoal frost spray paint

Hey guys,
I'm refinishing a little project and am looking for a good charcoal frost metallic paint colour for spraying it. I'm after a poly or acrylic as want something a little harder wearing than nitrocellulose and am simply spraying over the original finish without sanding all the way back. Have found the original colour code for fender's charcoal frost metallic (a lincoln continental 1966, 32390), would it be worth getting an aerosol colour matched at somewhere like halfords?
Formerly MusicRadar: deideidei
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It's a shame you don't want to use nitro, as Manchester Guitar Tech @SteveRobinson supplies Charcoal Frost Metallic in rattle cans.

I think you'll struggle to get it elsewhere in cans. You'll need to look to professional automotive suppliers (as opposed to Halfords).
  • RedRed Frets: 14
    Indeed, I've used his stuff before and it's very good, but I really lack the motivation to get the thing fully stripped down, it has binding which I'm painting over as well. I'll have a look around some better automotive suppliers!
  • I've just had a body painted in Charcoal Frost, and to be honest I see loads and loads of modern cars driving around that have a very similar shade. Go out and have a good look around, and you'll probably find something that's close enough.
  • RedRed Frets: 14
    A good shout, I went for a ford sea grey and it looks almost spot on!
  • You spend ages dwelling on which colour to choose for a project; you plump for one, and then you start seeing it everywhere! Charcoal frost: the new White ;-)
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 852
    The problem with old fender shades is they all age different ways, I've seen guitars labeled as charcoal frost that vary between silver and metallic black, the variation is huge, you're best off thinking of the colour you want, especially on a car and seeking out the colour code and having it made up... Gary's charcoal frost job was done by eye and I based it on about 4 different ones I found online and provided it came out somewhere in the spectrum I was happy with the mix. I've seen burgundy mist, iris mist, Lake placid and any other colour you care to mention look different from year to year just have a look at Old vintage American cars and find something close you like