NGD - Vigier

What's Hot
VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1046
actually not quite a NGD - got this a few weeks ago, but struggled to find time to post. Anyway, decided to quit my job earlier this year and thought a new guitar would be a good way to celebrate :) I was after something a little bit different than my others; I really like my fretless Vigier, and liked the look of their regular guitars, so was thinking about one of those. Did a bit of reading, and was really interested in the flat fingerboard on the Shawn Lane model; after lots of testing at World Guitars, that ended up being what I went for. It's probably the most comfortable guitar to play that I have, and really suits how I play for some reason; also really nice to have a non-locking trem for once. Pics below (and link to the WG site which has much better pics that don't include my feet !):

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz300/bmswanwick/IMG_0441_zpsdcnpxl45.jpg

http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz300/bmswanwick/IMG_0440_zpshdekxoxw.jpg

https://worldguitars.co.uk/shop/vigier-excalibur-shawn-lane-master-signature-150155/
0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 30208
    Nice.

I tried a Vigier at WG some years ago; it was exquisite.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2461
    excellent, vigiers are awesome :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3043
    See you're clearly much better at this 'quitting your job' gag than me. Whenever I do it I end up having to sell rather than buy guitars !

Nice score by the way 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2530
    Immense, Ben. Do you still post clips of your playing anywhere? Are you gonna do music full time now?
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    10/10 for choice - stunning

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30358
    Vigier have turned out some lovely guitars over the years.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25557
    Their Passion bass is on my Must own before dying list.

Properly amazing instruments.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Always wanted one of those. Congratulations.
  • Very nice guitar, congrats!  I had a Vigier years ago and sold it and really regret it.

What is the action like on it?  Was it set up super low from the factory?  Is it hard to bend strings on?  What gauge strings did it come with?

• ElxElx Frets: 412
    Congratulations! If you can get on with 26'' inch scale and the weird D profile, you will love it. I have tried, owned 3 different models but sold them on...
  • Elx said:
    Congratulations! If you can get on with 26'' inch scale and the weird D profile, you will love it. I have tried, owned 3 different models but sold them on...
    I think they are hit and miss as to whether you like them or not.  On the old Shawn Lane forum a lot of the Shawn Lane nuts didn't like them at all.  
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1046
    DLM said:
    Immense, Ben. Do you still post clips of your playing anywhere? Are you gonna do music full time now?
    cheers ! Not for a few months, there's stuff on my soundcloud but can't find time for new stuff at the moment ! Yep, plan is music full-time after Christmas. Bit scary but change was necessary :)

Gassage said:
    10/10 for choice - stunning
    thank-you - it was restrained for me. Second guitar with no Floyd !

Very nice guitar, congrats!  I had a Vigier years ago and sold it and really regret it.

What is the action like on it?  Was it set up super low from the factory?  Is it hard to bend strings on?  What gauge strings did it come with?

action is really really low - I haven't changed anything since I bought it either. Strings are actually really easy to bend, probably also (for me) because it's not got a locking them, which is pretty much all I've played, and I always find they add a bit more tension, but that might be my imagination. It came with 9s, which is probably what I'll keep on it. 

Elx said:
    I think they are hit and miss as to whether you like them or not.  On the old Shawn Lane forum a lot of the Shawn Lane nuts didn't like them at all.  
    I love the profile, just suits me down to the ground. I did plenty of reading of reviews and was slightly apprehensive, but after the first test at the shop that was it. Tried it next to an Excalibur too and would take this one every time. The reviews (well, some of them) didn't like the pickups either, but I really like them. This is the only guitar I've ever had where rolling back the tone actually gives me a nice tone (on the neck pickup). Sounds lovely. Think I'm getting old. 

DrBob said:
    See you're clearly much better at this 'quitting your job' gag than me. Whenever I do it I end up having to sell rather than buy guitars !

Nice score by the way 
    luckily I got a redundancy package....probably not the best idea to blow a chunk of it immediately on a guitar, but sod it :)
    Knowing you primarily from GuitarWar and "tehbest" Collective, Ben, I was always amazed to read that you were also out gigging Stones tunes. If you keep on doing it all like that, I'm sure you'll be reet. :+1: 
  • What was your job? Going to gig or teach full time? Good luck :)

Great looking guitar - please do us a demo!
    Elx said:

That's an odd scale length, @elx, what guitar was that? Their website says 630 mm/24.8" for the Lane model, and 650mm/25.6" for the other models, which is just a smidge longer than a Strat.
  • ElxElx Frets: 412
    DLM said:
    Elx said:

That's an odd scale length, @elx, what guitar was that? Their website says 630 mm/24.8" for the Lane model, and 650mm/25.6" for the other models, which is just a smidge longer than a Strat.
    Indeed, 25,6, my mistake. But it did feel weird. They are extremely well built, but they felt wrong. I don't know... :)

One was Excalibur Custom, 2 were Ultra Blues models...