SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

WTB JIM KELLEY 60watt reverb Combo.

What's Hot
ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
in Amps £ tFB Trader
Title says it all, hit me up if you have one of these for sale. I really would like one.
Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DodgeDodge Frets: 1465
    Great amps. I'm sure someone here had the hard wood version, although who that was escapes me just now....
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3675
    edited October 2016
    In the late 80s/early 90s in the NW I used to go and watch a guy called Simon Campbell who played through one of these. It looked like a polished wood case with a wicker baffle; quite like my Grandma's conservetory furniture to be honest. It was a really amazing clean chimey sound and loud as fuck. I mean  utterly deafening. He's a complete tone hound and he often says it was one of the best sounds he's ever had.
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 341
    I think @Wazmeister had one for a while
    monkey42 said:
    I think @Wazmeister had one for a while
    Yeah, that's who it was. No idea if he still does though.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9714
    edited October 2016
    Yep, I had one - the Whicker model.

Glorious looking, nice mid rangy cleans.

BUT.... heavy as hell, and the LOUDEST amp ive ever played...and i had the JK attenuator too.

Ade, dont bother unless youre playing Wembley every week. Honest.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2016
    Actually, the HEAVIEST amp ive evr played thinking about it. 

http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q493/Warren3333/JimKelley3.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Actually, the HEAVIEST amp ive evr played thinking about it. 
    Quoted for truth!
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    tFB Trader
    Yep, I had one - the Whicker model.

Glorious looking, nice mid rangy cleans.

BUT.... heavy as hell, and the LOUDEST amp ive ever played...and i had the JK attenuator too.

Ade, dont bother unless youre playing Wembley every week. Honest.

Yeah, fair enough I cannot argue as I have lifted one. That evm speaker is an absolute beast. As for the loudness, is it clean headroom loud or overdriven Loud
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    Yes mate.

Very clean or REALLY loud to overdrive. 

I really loved the look of mine, and so wanted to love it... I felt like the amp had no 'give' in it; very in yer face sounds.

Some people absoluetly love em though, but I sense more hype than substance.

Those YouTube vids, esp the Pete Thorn, must be so loud to get that knda break up.

Ade, I might be competely wrong... But it felt unusable loud at times. Took a right kicking when I sold it as well !

As ever, ymmv.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    edited October 2016
    Yes mate.

I really loved the look of mine, and so wanted to love it... I felt like the amp had no 'give' in it; very in yer face sounds.
    Exactly my perception when I tried one; 'stiff' dynamically - much like a non-master volume Marshall - or bigger Two Rocks at lower levels.

Mark Knopfler used them on the Brothers in Arms tour with MkII Boogies as spares. I assume they were cranked - but at 'loud' shop levels, it didn't work for me.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    tFB Trader
    Yes mate.

Those YouTube vids, esp the Pete Thorn, must be so loud to get that knda break up.

Ade, I might be competely wrong... But it felt unusable loud at times. Took a right kicking when I sold it as well !

As ever, ymmv.
    Ok, i need to try one out then and or only buy secondhand. Thanks so much for the feedback. Out of interest, how much did you sell it for? (PM me if thats ok?)
    ThorpyFX said:
    Yes mate.

As ever, ymmv.
    Ok, i need to try one out then and or only buy secondhand. Thanks so much for the feedback. Out of interest, how much did you sell it for? (PM me if thats ok?)
    I would mind knowing that too if anyone is happy to share. Not that I've ever seen one for sale in the last 15 years.
    Dodge said:
    I would mind knowing that too if anyone is happy to share. Not that I've ever seen one for sale in the last 15 years.
    The brand is now owned by John Suhr Technologies - the one I tried was a reissue about 3 years ago. 

At the time (IIRC) - it was about £3500.
    Dodge said:
    The brand is now owned by John Suhr Technologies - the one I tried was a reissue about 3 years ago. 

At the time (IIRC) - it was about £3500.
    Yeah, I meant used. I last saw one in Chandlers probably 15-20 years ago with the attenuator. I knew what it was and still didn't buy it.

I didn't think Suhr actually owned the brand, but they certainly build them. Interesting...
    Dodge said:
    I didn't think Suhr actually owned the brand, but they certainly build them. Interesting...
    I don't know the exact relationship - but the amps are listed on the Suhr website.
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2372
    Its a working relationship between Suhr and Kelly
    edited October 2016
    They are avilable new, made by Suhr.

I bought mine new from Sounds Great and px my Carr Slant towards the £3600 price tag, like a complete reet.

I didnt sell the JK second hand, but part ex it against, I think, a 335. Which itself, was a pile of shite. Big lessons learnt !!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • They are avilable new, made by Suhr.

I bought mine new from Sounds Great and px my Carr Slant towards the £3600 price tag, like a complete reet.

I didnt sell the JK second hand, but part ex it against, I think, a 335. Which itself, was a pile of shite. Big lessons learnt !!
    Bet you miss that Slant mate! Best amp I've ever had.
  • They are avilable new, made by Suhr.

GAS is a cruel mistress ;)
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16293
    Peach had one in stock 18 months ago