Luthiers help me fix my strat neck.

gutted. Just dropped my strat and it landed flat on the back on the floor. The headstock hit some rack gear and made the sort of crack that you know as soon as you hear there is major damage.
I picked it up and could see the G string flat against the frets as it had gone straight through the nut and taken a chip out of the headstock. Surveying the damage, it seems a bit of an unusual. There is a hefty crack across the channel the truss rod is seated in and that runs out to the side of the headstock by the 6th string and then down the side of the neck to near the 2nd fret.

On the other side, the crack runs from under the nut on the fretboard inbetween the G and B string across to the top E at the 1st fret. Then it moves under the fret and comes out on the side of the neck by the 1st fret and along until the 2nd fret.
It's only hairline in some places so I am hoping it can be clamped and glued.
dropbox with images:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fny3rxa5wfqhngl/AAAS33iiCc_hUPGD2WvmweVva?dl=0

I assume this this can be fixed. Any idea how easy this may be.
I'm thinking take the neck off and post it to a Luthier for repair.
possibly a home insurance job.

It's a custom shop strat which is bad, but thank god it wasn't the 64 Junior
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5222
    I'm no luthier but would probably prefer to have a new neck if it was mine...
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17462
    Crikey, never seen one do that before.  The biggest issue is getting glue in deep enough, whilst not glueing the truss rod solid.  clearly the damage goes deep.

does it open up at all when you flex it.
  • It does. Which I assume is good for glue.
    i actually think if the nut was replaced it would be playable. Just not sure how long for
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30355
    Send it to a reputable luthier. I wouldn't risk restringing it as it is.
    Be cheaper than getting a replacement CS neck, I would've thought.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17462
    Get a syringe, get a decent wood glue in there and clamp it up.  It will probably be fine, but worth giving the truss rod a twist both ways after you unclamp it... don't force it but the woodglue should release from the metal, but may make a nasty noise as it does.  
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    WezV said:
    Get a syringe, get a decent wood glue in there and clamp it up.  It will probably be fine, but worth giving the truss rod a twist both ways after you unclamp it... don't force it but the woodglue should release from the metal, but may make a nasty noise as it does.  
    +1.

Definitely don't string it up before it is repaired.
  • musteatbrainmusteatbrain Frets: 907
    edited October 2016
    It needs a new nut too which is beyond what I trust my skills to deliver a good job on so it will need a 3rd party unfortunately. Should I leave the strings on now? Apart from the G it's still almost in tune!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    edited October 2016
    It needs a new nut too which is beyond what I trust my skills to deliver a good job on so it will need a 3rd party unfortunately. Should I leave the strings on now? Apart from the G it's still almost in tune!
    I'd need to see it in the flesh to be certain but a crack like that usually the first thing I'd be doing would be to take off the strings.
    Guitars are under a fair bit of tension- you could have the headstock fly off if the crack is deep.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 8085

What I do (if possible) is use the left over waxy paper from double-sided tape, rolled up and pushed along the rod to keep the glue away, then as Wez says use a syringe to force the glue (Titebond) in and then clamp.

Quite often it's possible to open the crack a little to get both paper and syringe in, as long as you're careful.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I've got a spare neck you can have if you like.
    It's NOT a Fender neck, it's got a 57mm heel so it will need shaving, it's got a short fret at no 22 and it's a cheap - ebay thing so don't expect miracles but it's FREE and it's yours if you pay for the postage.

It's so far unused and unfinished at the back, a dark brown coloured board that may or may not be rosewood and there's a new nut blank with it - uncut.

This plus a trip to a tech might be cheaper than a new neck for your Fender.
    It may also be utter shite so be warned.
    It's maybe worth the postage and show it to a tech, see what he says.

If not up-cycle it into something interesting, it's up to you.

PM me if you want it.
    THIS one.

:)
  • Thanks Alnico. That's massively kind and exactly why this forum is a great place to be.
    I'm going to see on repairs I think.
    in the meantime my other guitars can cover the gap
    Thanks Alnico. That's massively kind and exactly why this forum is a great place to be.
    I'm going to see on repairs I think.
    in the meantime my other guitars can cover the gap
    It won't go anywhere quickly,

Let me know if you want it.
    Glad to help. :)
  • Cheers!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    That's a very nasty break - given the cracks on both sides the wood appears to have shattered internally, and getting glue right inside to fix it properly is going to be very difficult. As Wez said you have the advantage the Titebond won't stick to metal so you don't need to worry about the truss rod, but it's just not going to be easy to get it to penetrate far enough in. The crack between the first and second frets on the treble side is especially tricky.

The neck is actually a rather odd piece of wood - the figuring under the low E and A strings is completely different from the rest of it... I wonder if that could have had anything to do with why it broke like that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Quite possible. Strats aren't exactly known for this. I had to have a double take once I first picked it up 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8476
    The neck can be saved, but needs work.

First off, take the strings off ASAP. 

Send it it to Andy Viccars (in Milton Keynes), the man is excellent with neck cracks and breaks, in fact, all repairs. 

He he gets a huge thumbs up from me.  Did excellent work to one of my guitars!

His prices are very reasonable!

http://www.andyviccarscustom.co.uk/

Marlin :)

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    Andy is a good guy.

If it needs a nut, as well, Id send the whole guitar, not just the neck.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.