Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The Who - Bargain

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14012
edited November 2016 in Guitar
Of all the bands I listen to and have loved over the years, having grown up on The Jam, Sex Pistols, Skids, Clash and Beatles...it's The Who I come back to time and time again, I'm on a real Who trip at present, have been re-listening and watching a lot from the peak days of 1969 - 1973

As I'm sure many agree, Who's Next is my fave and I'm loving the song 'Bargain' at present, in particular Pete Townsend's guitar, The Gretsch 6120 through the Edwards volume pedal and Tweed Bandmaster, it sounds really good, as does the J200 acoustic. The double tracking/short delay type effect on Roger Daltrey's voice really suits the song as well:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Keith Moon's drumming sounds like a barrage of Tiger tanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Probably my all time favourite album.  Personal highlights are Bargain, My Wife and Behind Blue Eyes.
  • Great song.  I love most of that album, and Tommy, in particular.  I saw them in the 80's but, sadly, Moon was gone to the great beyond.  Kenney Jones did a great job but I would have loved to have seen Mooney in action.  Several songs from "Who's Next" were used to great excess as theme music for the TV show CSI here in North America in recent years. 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2668
    Love The Who. Quadrophenia is my favourite but to be honest Who's Next is fantastic. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8574
    Oh yes, it was Townsend that made me wanna pick up guitar in the first place way back when. I remember asking my guitar teacher back when I was having my first lessons to teach me the little lead breaks in Join Together, he was surprised as everyone else wanted to learn the "classic" solos. 
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1750
    Agreed. Won't get fooled again, Kilburn 1977, Moon with his double drum kit. Nothing better.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I can only click the wisdom button once.

My personal favourite from the entire catalogue is 'The Punk and the Godfather' from the Quadrophenia Soundtrack.
    It is a long held dream of mine to meet and play alongside a drummer that can even get close to Keith Moon.
    As far as i know, i learned everything i know about rhythm guitar from listening to and learning Pete Townsend songs / riffs.

Stunning music and now on tomorrow mornings playlist.

Nice One !
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2820
    I love the Who too.  They stand the test of time almost better than anyone else I think.

Apparently Pete Townsend predicted the internet and used the idea as the backdrop to another opera that he never completed.  

There'll never be another Keith Moon but Zak Starkey (Keith Moon's Godson and to whom he gave his first drum kit) does a great job of deputising.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24879
    edited November 2016
    thebreeze said:
    Apparently Pete Townsend predicted the internet and used the idea as the backdrop to another opera that he never completed.  
    And given Townsend's record of internet usage, his failure to complete that particular work is something we should be truly thankful for....
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    thebreeze said:
    I love the Who too.  They stand the test of time almost better than anyone else I think.

There'll never be another Keith Moon but Zak Starkey (Keith Moon's Godson and to whom he gave his first drum kit) does a great job of deputising.
    Thank you, i shall look Mr Starkey up with great interest.
    Nice one.
  • Alnico said:
    thebreeze said:

Nice one.
    You know it's Ringo's son don't you?

Alnico said:
    thebreeze said:

Nice one.
    You know it's Ringo's son don't you?
    No i had no idea, i've no interest in Ringo past the late 60's so wouldn't have found out.
    I did notice the name is the same but it didn't click and i had never previously known.
    Just watched him playing with The Who in 2012 - Bargain.

Wow he's a great kid isn't he ?
    Full of the same spirit. Obviously he's still got some way to go to play like Keith but wow, that was great watching him get that same look that Keith had when he really started flying.
    Brilliant.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7137
    tFB Trader
    cruxiform said:
    Love The Who. Quadrophenia is my favourite but to be honest Who's Next is fantastic. 
    This ^^
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8158
    I'm sure he played a 6120 into a 63 Bassman. 
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3310
    edited November 2016 tFB Trader
    Who's next is my fave , start to finish is great music

Tbh pretty much all great guitar music is from the 70's imo

Why can't music be this good anymore
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3967
    I used to love sitting reading Quadropheina inlay sleeve as a kid as I listened along. Who didn't want to be Jimmy? The whole thing is a great package (if that's the right word). 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12461
    Pete Townsend is an incredible creator and a unique guitarist, the demo version of Baba O'Reilly on youtube is really something to behold. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • I'd rather listen to PT than Clapton, Beck, Page or Hendrix. 

He also manages to sound exactly like himself no matter what guitar he's playing - Rickenbacker, SG special, LP Deluxe, Gretsch and EC Strat. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12724
    I was at this gig and quite simply gives me goosebumps. 
    Incredible just incredible. Entwhistle was the greatest bass guitarist of all time.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom