Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

KLON Centaur Gold

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• juansolojuansolo Frets: 1778
    edited January 2014
    ICBM said:
    Here's a philosophical question…

Which is more overpriced, this original gold Klon or an original 60s Tonebender at the same price? (Assuming for the sake of comparison that the going rate for both is the same. Tonebenders can actually go for more…)

And why?

You may refer to circuit complexity, component count, versatility, rarity, original cost, or any other relevant factor. Please answer in 1000 words or less.

:)
    The original Klon wasn't overpriced. It was $275 and came in a milled ali enclosure that probably cost half that amount.

The problem with the Klon is that it's easy to replicate, so the 2nd hand price is hard to swallow. Whereas getting the transistors for a Bender now is nigh on impossible. That's not to say you can't build one using different transistors though... ;)

But as TPD says, we're talking collectors here. I for example, don't believe any car is worth the multi-millions that old Ferraris go for. Yet many vastly wealthy people do. So in that respect they must be worth the money to some people.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Not to mention Klons tend still to be bought and sold for their supposed tonal superiority, NOT because they are a collectible antique. So it's at least slightly apples-and-oranges.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11716
    Like it or not, there is a collectors market for original Klons - especially gold ones.  Although thinking about it, maybe it's more of a speculators market.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • timhuliotimhulio Frets: 1316
    tFB Trader
    juansolo said:

milled ali enclosure 
    Sand cast aluminium enclosure. Pretty expensive, but just imagine how much milled enclosures would cost!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2014
    Ah, thought it was milled, my mistake. Still, it was a lovely thing that. Most impressive when I had one to poke around with.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34307
    Anyone want to buy my KTR for £400?
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2460
    edited January 2014
    crunchman said:
    Like it or not, there is a collectors market for original Klons - especially gold ones.  Although thinking about it, maybe it's more of a speculators market.
    Yeah that's the problem (not just with pedals, obviously this happens with a lot of things). Some chancers people kind of skew the market.

EdGrip said:
    Not to mention Klons tend still to be bought and sold for their supposed tonal superiority, NOT because they are a collectible antique. So it's at least slightly apples-and-oranges.
    Yeah. It's not completely black and white, either.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    juansolo said:
    But as TPD says, we're talking collectors here. I for example, don't believe any car is worth the multi-millions that old Ferraris go for. Yet many vastly wealthy people do. So in that respect they must be worth the money to some people.
    Yep, moaning about the price of Klons is like raging that the value of a 60's Ferrari is stupid because a modern hot hatch could have one around a track. 

When supply outstrips demand prices go up, simple as that. 
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1355
    I don't find the word Boutique remotely helpful or informative in this context. It could be my age but the only image it brings to my mind is that of a small, pretentious, and probably overpriced fashion outlet :-)
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • allicioallicio Frets: 221
    octatonic;137504" said:
    I'll give you back the 269 you bought it off me for!!! :D

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    allicio said:
    octatonic;137504" said:
    I'll give you back the 269 you bought it off me for!!! :D

:-)
  • allicioallicio Frets: 221
    Damn principles!!!
  • MistyMisty Frets: 135
    I feel I'm losing the will to live.

• Good interview with the man himself here.

I'd happily pay the asking price for a KTR - primarily because of the tones I've heard on record and online, and also because the guy designed and built an original circuit and deserves the credit. I'm rarely happy about buying copies/klones (unless the original is no longer available etc.), and I think the KTR is quite fairly priced - particularly as it holds it's value too!
    Some fun to be had over on the Madbean forum about this. I'll not comment here as I seem to be rubbing people the wrong way of late.

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    JayGee said:
    I don't find the word Boutique remotely helpful or informative in this context. It could be my age but the only image it brings to my mind is that of a small, pretentious, and probably overpriced fashion outlet :-)
    This. I wasn't gonna say anything...