Taylor T5 - opinions?

What's Hot

Any T5 users here? Any comments on what's good... and what's bad? Any particular models to go for... or avoid?

I'm more interested in their ability to sound like an acoustic (through a PA or acoustic amp)... rather than sound like an electric guitar (although that aspect could be a bit useful too).

Do they hold their value second hand?

Many thanks for your help (he said... rather presumptuously!)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15374
    tFB Trader

Do they hold their value second hand?

If you buy used then it should hold all/most of its value - buy new and I expect close to 50% devaluation on a T5 - very small market and whilst nothing fundamentally wrong with the guitar, they do appear to struggle with who/what their market place is - as against a more regular electro acoustic model - I refer to them as a Holiday Inn cocktail jazz guitar and that is not meant to be a negative statement but it reflects a small market place - It will do what you asked and that is produce a good tone through a PA rig/electro combo - good hunting
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @guitars4you... can always depend on you for well-informed advice. Cheers.

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7340
    tFB Trader
    I have a customer selling a T5 if you'd like an introduction?
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30354
    Is that the one that guy Doyle Dykes plays?
    If so, he makes it sound pretty damn good.
  • I have a customer selling a T5 if you'd like an introduction?

Thanks for the offer. Gotta do a bit of research first... so not quite ready to buy yet.
  • Sassafras said:
    Is that the one that guy Doyle Dykes plays?
    If so, he makes it sound pretty damn good.

Hmmm... DD can make anything sound good.

I... on the other hand... can make everything sound bad.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5618
    Peach has a beautiful BTO with a Munn Ebony top in second hand at the moment but it's still pretty serious money.
  • Whitecat said:
    Peach has a beautiful BTO with a Munn Ebony top in second hand at the moment but it's still pretty serious money.

Yep... think that's out of my league! LOL.

BTW... what does BTO stand for?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74388
    Heather Nova uses hers basically as an electro-acoustic.

Obviously there's another electric guitar there too, but you can hear the T5 quite clearly. I always thought that black one was one of the best-looking guitars ever and sounded great when she played it, but sadly when I tried one I didn't like it at all - I didn't like the sound either through an acoustic amp or an electric one, and both the neck and the body were uncomfortably wide and thin, for me.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10967
     I borrowed one in the summer to play a festival as we were booked to play the acoustic stage and I wasn't allowed to play electric.  As I'm not a very good acoustic player the T5 was ideal.  Like all Taylors the action was low and it was perfectly set up.  It really does do a great impression of a solid electric but not quite so good as  an acoustic in my humble opinion 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5618
    Whitecat said:

Yep... think that's out of my league! LOL.

BTW... what does BTO stand for?

Bachman-Turner Overdrive, obviously! 

But with Taylor Guitars it stands for Build-To-Order. It's actually been renamed Taylor Custom recently, and it's basically that - the Taylor Custom Shop. You can spec out whatever you like and like PRS' Private Stock program you can even handpick woods if you can make it to the factory in California. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Whitecat. Yeah... I'm old enough to have thought 'You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet' - when I saw the letters BTO.

Thanks for the info.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24995
    edited November 2016
    IIRC @Dindude owned the smaller-bodied version briefly (T5z?) but moved it on quite quickly.

The only one I've played had a really thin neck - which felt wrong given the acoustic side of them.

The idea really appeals to me - I just didn't like it as much as I hoped I would, when I actually got to play one.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8622
    IIRC @Dindude owned the smaller-bodied version briefly (T5z?) but moved it on quite quickly.

The only one I've played had a really thin neck - which felt wrong given the acoustic side of them.

The idea really appeals to me - I just didn't like it as much as I hoped I would, when I actually got to play one.
    Yes indeedy, I had the T5z Classic (the plain one), it was certainly an interesting instrument but in the end I didn't get any one fantastic tone out of it, just many interesting tones. IMO (certainly for the smaller bodied z), the acoustic sounds were the weakest point, but then I hate the zingy fake acoustic sounds of most amplified acoustics anyhow. 

I liked it more for mild gain and even heavy gain sounds.

I did this short eewtood video of it's sounds ranging from acoustic-ish to very gainy, but this was all through an electric amp.

And, yes I took a bath on resell.

• Shakira and Taylor Swift play them. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74388
    Shakira and Taylor Swift play them. 
    Maybe I should give one another try...

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    I had one of the early S1s, it was beautifully made and lovely to play, but I think Taylor missed a trick not giving it stereo output so you could split the electric and acoustic signals if you wanted.  Running it in mono into an A/B box to split it was a faff.

I did think it sounded good though, the embedded pickups and body sensor made it much more acoustic sounding when amplified.  It had it's own electric sound, not really like any other guitar. You will need the foam inserts to block the little sound holes though if you are going to use it at any volume, being fully hollow it feedbacks like a bast*rd.

I bought mine second hand and pretty much got my money back when I sold it.
  • Shakira and Taylor Swift play them. 

That's me sold on them :) Will be rushing to my local Taylor dealer straight away!

• kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    I had a t5z and eventually moved it on. Not the most inspirational instrument but I do miss it as a gigging workhorse guitar. It's been replaced by three other guitars (an acoustic, a semi and a resonator) and while I love to take all 3 of those to a gig,  there are many times it would be easier just to take the t5z 
  • What are the differences... and benefits... between a T5z and a regular T5?