Fender 5 way switch with coil split humbuckers

What's Hot
JetfireJetfire Frets: 1717
Is it possible to have a standard 5 way fender switch and use a dual humbucker set up with some parallel tones on positions 2 and 4? my fender blacktop has a super switch which needs replacing and while I have a super switch spare  I'm not sure I'm thay bother ed with the tones it has now...

Does that  make sense?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1717
    Thats what I have now. I'd like a wiring set up using a non super switch 5 way and 2 humbuckers
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    Sorry - didn't understand your question then!
    No dramas, gotta love how eager you were!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74491
    Jetfire said:
    Is it possible to have a standard 5 way fender switch and use a dual humbucker set up with some parallel tones on positions 2 and 4? my fender blacktop has a super switch which needs replacing and while I have a super switch spare  I'm not sure I'm thay bother ed with the tones it has now...

Does that  make sense?
    Yes. The extra sounds you can get are both pickups on, with one pickup coil split. These sound surprisingly different from both full humbuckers and from each other, because (possibly counterintuitively) the lower-impedance pickup dominates in a mismatched pair.

The switch wiring is as follows:

A  B  C  D
      E  F  G  H

A and H are the rotors and are connected to the pickups - A neck, H bridge. C, D, E and F are all connected to the volume control. (This is basically the same as standard Tele wiring on a 3-way up to this point.) B is the neck coil split and G is the bridge coil split.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Jetfire said:
    No dramas, gotta love how eager you were!
    I aim to please ;)
    Ah ok, is there a diagram somewhere for this set up?

ICBM said:
    Jetfire said:

Does that  make sense?
    Yes. The extra sounds you can get are both pickups on, with one pickup coil split. These sound surprisingly different from both full humbuckers and from each other, because (possibly counterintuitively) the lower-impedance pickup dominates in a mismatched pair.

The switch wiring is as follows:

A  B  C  D
      E  F  G  H

A and H are the rotors and are connected to the pickups - A neck, H bridge. C, D, E and F are all connected to the volume control. (This is basically the same as standard Tele wiring on a 3-way up to this point.) B is the neck coil split and G is the bridge coil split.
    Do I need to get powerpoint out for another diagram @ICBM ? ;)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74491
    Bridgehouse said:

Do I need to get powerpoint out for another diagram @ICBM ? ;)
    If you like! :D 

Although it's basically just this 

http://www.guitarhq.com/67tele.gif

With each pickup's coil split connected to the terminal next to its own hot wire.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 769
    edited November 2016
    Incidentally, in addition to the excellent sites that @Bridgehouse has linked to, I also like Phostenix's wiring site, here:
     https://sites.google.com/site/phostenixwiringdiagrams/home