Epiphone "1955" Les Paul Custom

What's Hot
HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 351
Has anyone seen (or got one) this in the UK? It's top of my GAS list. 

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Electrics/Les-Paul/Ltd-Ed-Inspired-by-1955-LP-Custom-Outfit.aspx

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234
    Not seen one, but it is all kinds of lovely

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Tis very nice!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Thats real nice and I bet it plays and sounds great too.
    I've recently bought a 61' SG,335 VS and last night a faded g400 SG and they all are fantastic value
    as long as you DON'T look at the headstock.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    I don't get the hate for the Epi LP headstocks, but it looks much better with the binding.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25103
    I really dislike the Epi headstock.  I know it's ruling out some potentially nice guitars, but I just can't get past it.  It's almost like a phobia.

Having got that out of the way, this looks very good indeed - it even has an ebony board, which, I think, Gibson USA still can't manage.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10890
    Should not have opened this thread.

Another new guitar/divorce.

Decisions,decisions.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have the Bjorn Gelotte Epi LPC, which isn't a million miles from the 1955 - it has a large 50's neck profile, all Mahogany body, and ebony fretboard - different pickup routing though. 

I changed out the EMG's for single coil pickups and I like it a lot.  
  • It looks ok but I personally would buy the Edwards equivalent
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    If it's a 1955 reissue then surely it should have a wrap-around not a tune-o-matic? That came in in 1956.

Exhibit A - this CS Gibson R5.

http://www.gibson.com/Images/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/1955-Les-Paul-Custom-Exclusives/Gallery-Images/HB142C-Finish-Shot-jpg.aspx?KeepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=300&width=750

/pedant
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    Philly_Q said:
    I really dislike the Epi headstock.  I know it's ruling out some potentially nice guitars, but I just can't get past it.  It's almost like a phobia.

Having got that out of the way, this looks very good indeed - it even has an ebony board, which, I think, Gibson USA still can't manage.
    +1 to all.  Japanese Epis have a gibson style headstock...I wish the UK one's had the same.  But it's a very nice looking guitar.  I don't yet have a P90 guitar...but this could be a contender. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I honestly don't get all this hatred for Epiphone headstocks, I don't think they look that bad at all, they're not exactly in the James Taylor or Parker Fly category.... they are a couple of pig's ears.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    proggy said:
    I honestly don't get all this hatred for Epiphone headstocks, I don't think they look that bad at all, they're not exactly in the James Taylor or Parker Fly category.... they are a couple of pig's ears.
    I meant James Tyler not Taylor..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74484
    Bucket said:
    If it's a 1955 reissue then surely it should have a wrap-around not a tune-o-matic? That came in in 1956.

Exhibit A - this CS Gibson R5.

http://www.gibson.com/Images/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/1955-Les-Paul-Custom-Exclusives/Gallery-Images/HB142C-Finish-Shot-jpg.aspx?KeepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=300&width=750

/pedant
    No, that's Gibson getting it wrong. The LP Custom had the stoptail/tune-o-matic from the start in 1954, and no original Custom ever had a wraparound.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    Just noticed that the knobs are top-hats.  But I thought the 55 LP's came with speed knobs and only later did Gibson fit 'top-hats'?  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17499

I suspect gibson purposely  dont allow it to be more authentic, it wouldn't be more expensive to do it properly.   the end result is still a nice looking guitar so it doesn't really bother me
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    proggy said:
    proggy said:
    I meant James Tyler not Taylor..
    Oh, I dunno..

so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 351
    @meltedbuzzbox out of interest, do you know of any decent Edwards stockists in UK? 
  • HoraceBHoraceB Frets: 351
    @meltedbuzzbox out of interest, do you know of any decent Edwards stockists in UK?