Unsuitable headphones?

I'm listening to my guitar via a Blackstar Fly 3 (using delay but not OD) into a pair of headphones but the volume is very low. I need to turn both gain and volume way up to get a decent sound. Is this normal for headphones or do I need a different pair? If so, I'd appreciate suggestions. Something closed back that doesn't cost the earth!

The ones I'm currently using are Beyerdynamics DT 231 - these :-</p>

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beyerdynamic-DT-231-Headphone-Closed/dp/B0002DDGFG

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    Your headphones impedance is key.. And that's probably the issue with the beyerdynamics.. You could try a headphone amp or something with higher impedance
  • Would that be the impedance on these particular headphones or the impedance on headphones in general?

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    I'm oversimplifying but broadly if the impedance is higher then for some equipment you get a lower volume. 

Similarly lower were impedance can mean more volume. There is a measured difference in 'quality' or ability to reproduce the sound accurately between higher and lower impedance sets..
  • NickLNickL Frets: 160
    Those particular Beyerdynamics are not very loud. I've got some, and just playing music on my phone they're much quieter at the same volume setting than my bog-standard in-ear Sennheisers.