Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

5E3: Lazy J v Louis Electric v Cornell v Rift v Redneck v Swart v ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• riscadoriscado Frets: 180
    edited July 2017
    If you're set on a tweed deluxe, and you've got the funds and one a new amp that virtually the same in feel and response to an old 50s deluxe, I'd recommend the Magic amps 5E3.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • nickb_boy said:
    If it's a 5E3 you're after then it looks like @Gassage 's old 58 may be up for grabs:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142203027168
    Seems a lot of money, is that the right price for one of those?
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1693
    Can I throw MJW amps into the ring. 

Ive a 5e3 made by MJW and it sounds superb. It's not traditional at all as it's 18 watt el84 with 2x10 celestions. That being said it has such a great sound.

I would say that if you are gigging and you are the only guitarist in a band then 20 watts is fine but as @hotpickups ; has said, 5e3's are not versatile. If you have two guitars in the band I'd suggest a few more watts to help you cut through.

I have a/b'd martins work against many of the larger brands and it stacks up well each time. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2150
    tFB Trader
    shaunm said:

Ive a 5e3 made by MJW and it sounds superb. It's not traditional at all as it's 18 watt el84 with 2x10 celestions. That being said it has such a great sound.

I have a/b'd martins work against many of the larger brands and it stacks up well each time. 

Thanks for the mention @shaunm but I fear anyone who wanted an MJW (new anyway) may have missed the boat for a while. My order book is currently closed, and once I've finished the dozen or so amps on the list, I am going to be taking a long break, during which time I will be relocating to Scotland. It's possible I may not start up again, I don't know  yet.

Fortunately there are lots of other amp builders to chose from, as mentioned in this thread :)

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    martinw said:
    shaunm said:

Thanks for the mention @shaunm but I fear anyone who wanted an MJW (new anyway) may have missed the boat for a while. My order book is currently closed, and once I've finished the dozen or so amps on the list, I am going to be taking a long break, during which time I will be relocating to Scotland. It's possible I may not start up again, I don't know  yet.

Fortunately there are lots of other amp builders to chose from, as mentioned in this thread :)

Bombshell :(
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1693
    martinw said:
    shaunm said:

Yes, I own a MJW Dumble. 

Well, you must do whatever makes you happy. Best of luck for the future martin.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12319
    Bombshell!
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6866
    tFB Trader
    As mentioned before Gartone deserves serious consideration for a great, giggable 5E3.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2659
    tFB Trader
    Tweed deluxe amps are farty because they have no bass tightening in the circuit, you need a bright tight speaker with a stock circuit or you need to tweak the bass to match the speaker you are using, I also don't like farty bass, but you can still keep the amp fairly full range and get great tones from it with a few simple cap changes, I also prefer that circuit with GZ34 and 6L6, just more punchy but still with tweed goodness. good luck in your quest.
    If you work with a good builder nearby they may be able to tweak the bass while you wait.
  • Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/