Baritone Fender Scale Length - String Gauge?

What's Hot
NomadNomad Frets: 549
If I wanted to set up a Fender scale length guitar as a baritone (tuned to B below normal E), what string gauge should I use? Something that has a similar tension or bendability to 10s on a Gibson scale would be preferred.

Nomad
Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74396
    If you think about it, tuning it B-B is the same as moving the lower five strings across one position and adding a low B, so for the same tension as 10s on a Fender in normal tuning, you would use 13s because the B string is a 13.

So for about the same tension as 10s on a Gibson you would use 12s.

I've done a couple of Teles as baritones, one in B with 13-65 and one in A with 15-75. Both worked perfectly and only needed the nut modifying. I used a double-ball-end bass string for the low A/B, by cutting off the normal bass ball end and using the small ball at the other end. With 12s you can probably get away with a standard set that goes up to about a 54.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom