PRS

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16216

the custom 24s..... how's that work compared tae the 22s....more frets , same scale length but smaller spacing?

how do folks get on with the large heel I see on these guitars....much love for the PRS customs?

PRS noob

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11639
    The fingerboard extends further.  The 24th fret is about where the neck pickup would normally be on a 22 fret guitar.
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16216

ah right Crunchie....what about the 5 way switch, what does that give you?

tae be or not tae be
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4316
    edited December 2016
    More Different sounds.
    wow
    tae be or not tae be
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11639
    edited December 2016
    It has varied over the years.

I sold my last PRS a while back - just haven't updated my profile pic.  My  memory is a bit hazy.

This is from the PRS website and is the normal configuration for the rotary:

• Position 10: Treble pickup
    • Position 9: Outside coils- deep and clear - parallel
    • Position 8: Series single coils – Warm version of the "in between the treble and middle pickups"
    • Position 7: Parallel single coils – Crisp version of the "in between the treble and middle pickups"
    • Position 6: Bass pickup
    The 5 way blade on some models is different.  Full details here:
    http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/switching.html

• In all seriousness, forget about the "Large heel", it's a non-issue propagated by an idiot. There's more than enough access to the dusty end, and the guitars have less dead spots as a result.

The 5-way sounds differed from year to year, so it really depends which model you're talking about. Most of it is available on the PRS CSC site:

http://prsguitars.com/csc/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    thanks guys :)
    tae be or not tae be
  • crunchman said:
    The fingerboard extends further.  The 24th fret is about where the neck pickup would normally be on a 22 fret guitar.
    On PRS' rather than just move the pickup down, they make the neck longer (and move stuff around).

From L to R, guitars 1+3 have 22 frets and guitars 2+4 have 22, you can see that the 24 fret guitars have a longer neck with the bridge moved up slightly as per the above GIF.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hootsmon said:

the custom 24s..... how's that work compared tae the 22s....more frets , same scale length but smaller spacing?

how do folks get on with the large heel I see on these guitars....much love for the PRS customs?

PRS noob

Personally I prefer the 22 fret guitars.  They feel the most classic, if you're used to Strats/Teles/Les Pauls.  If you're more used to an SG you may prefer the feel of the 24 (for above posted reasons of neck length).

I do not find the neck heel any kind of problem.  I can play the same stuff on my PRS' as I can on my strat (I don't own anything shreddy).

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    People who think they'll benefit from 2 extra frets never end up using them once they've got them.
    are the single coil settings good/usable....a good approximation of a Fender or what?
    tae be or not tae be
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4887
    edited December 2016
    The Cu24's with 'birds' get an extra bird - out of interest, the PRS birds are:

Peregrine falcon
    Marsh hawk 
    Ruby throated hummingbird 
    Common tern 
    Coopers hawk 
    Kite 
    Sparrow landing 
    Storm petrel 
    Hawk landing 
    Screech owl on a branch (24-fret models only)

Earlier versions either have a 5-way rotary selector, or a 3 position toggle with push-pulls to give coil-tapping (ie 6 tones in total) but be aware the 'extra' tones are quite different.  My Cu24 is a 2002 model and I specifically opted for the rotary switch because I preferred the tones - the middle positions were much more Strat-like and 'hollowish', which is what I wanted.  The Coil-tapped tones are less strat/less 'hollow' sounding but some folk prefer the push-pull for faster changes.  But I can change just as fast with the Rotary anyway!  

Latest versions have a 5-way lever selector akin to the 5-way on a Strat, and the p/ups are a little different - as to which p/ups are 'better' depends entirely on your personal preference, with both versions having their supporters.  

Neck access is very easy down the neck (I have a Wide Thin Neck on mine - PRS has changed the neck descriptions over recent years - there's lots of good info on the PRS support pages here inc p/ups, neck sizes, p/up switching etc etc: 

https://www.prsguitars.com/csc/faq.html

Build quality is IMHO top notch, the Cu24 has an excellent 'blade' type tremolo system that stays in tune very well with an easy 'pop-in' arm, and it has great easy to use locking tuners that make string changes a breeze.

It doesn't replace my LP Custom, Strat, Tele etc, but it's a wonderfully versatile guitar with its own sound and 'identity'. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24913
    edited December 2016
    22 fret models tend to sound 'fatter' acoustically - which was why they were designed in the first place.

Early 'small heel' Customs were renowned for dead spots around the octave on the 3rd string and the same notes(s) on the B. I owned a '92 which used to drive me nuts - a really annoying flaw in the design.

Later 24 fret guitars (after the mid-90s factory move iirc) had bigger heels, which reduced the problem. 22 fret guitars don't suffer from the issue at all in my experience.

Always buy used - you'll lose a fortune on a new one, should you decide to part with it....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73758
    edited December 2016
    hootsmon said:

ah right Crunchie….what about the 5 way switch, what does that give you?
    Annoying irritation in a live environment.

Not being able to quickly flip the switch with the side of your hand, you have to grasp it and turn it. Having to look at the knob or count clicks to know where you're going unless it's to one end. LOUD *click* quiet *click* LOUD *click* quiet *click* LOUD as you turn it. (Clicks come out through the amp too.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Sorry but the smaller heel on the 24 is almost like a neck through guitar - for me, it gives much, much  better access.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15161
    tFB Trader
    as an overview - the 5 way switch delivers 3 humbucking flavoured tones on 1/3/5 - with 2/4 providing you with single coil flavoured tones - They aren't exact replicas of a Strat - partly down to the glue on mahogany/body neck approach of a Custom 22/24 v the bolt on maple neck approach of a Fender - I don't believe the intention was to directly replicate a Strat voice but about providing you with a more versatile approach from 2 humbuckers than say a LP/SG/335

22 or 24 is a matter of opinion - 24 slightly out sells the 22 - going back to the early days of a PRS - Then only a 24 available - 22 came about as traditional Gibson players asked for one - I don't believe in putting guitars into categories for jazz/blues/rock etc as these boundaries are there to be exploited etc - However, from experience more traditional based players, prefer a Custom 22, from clean to more classic rock gain levels  - More modern temporary players who like more gain prefer the CU24 - On most CU24's (taking into account a few changes to CU24's over recent years) the bridge pick-up is hotter than a bridge pic-up on a CU22 - Neck pick-up is similar regarding output levels - But further away from the bridge on a CU22 so naturally warmer

That is a strong oveview - as always your hands and ears are the final test

Wide/fat neck generally only available on CU22 - Wide/thin on both - Standard/Regular only on CU24's 

That's about it
  • Dont overlook the older CE22s as well, not just because im selling one, they have a different character, slightly more "F" than "G" but the sustain and warm tone is still there - really great guitars. 
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15161
    tFB Trader
    Dont overlook the older CE22s as well, not just because im selling one, they have a different character, slightly more "F" than "G" but the sustain and warm tone is still there - really great guitars. 
    yes I agree more lively - due to the bolt on maple neck nature that I mentioned above
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Man PRS's are so beautiful. From the finishes to the birds to the squobbins
  • thegummy said:
    ... to the squobbins
    I have no idea what a squobbin is... but I think I like the sound of them. I'd buy a guitar with good squobbins.