Today, I have mostly been listening to ...

What's Hot

Comments

• There's a lot of audiences that find Mustang Sally or Brown Eyed Girl slightly naff. I think if you are doing the wedding circuit playing to people whose major experience of live music is going to weddings then the more contrived the better. But if you are playing pubs where the punters regularly see bands they want something they can recognise but don't necessarily want the cliches.  
    Well put Mr Weary
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:
    I've had Nels Cline's new album Lovers on heavy rotation. Its not for everyone but its IMHO, beautiful:

Nels Cline is the man no?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Airbourne's new album.

They're rip off artists and they're masters of cheese-laced lyrics.

It's never too loud for me
    When I drink, I go crazy
    Do me like you do yourself...
    Blow me apart like a bombshell

Really guys? 

From a musical point of view... I've identified, as a bare minimum the following direct rips!

"Cochise" by Audioslave's main riff in Rivalry

And at various stages in the album the following AC/DC riffs...

Rock n Roll Ain't Noise Pollution
    Given the Dog a Bone
    It's a Long Way to the Top...

But I still enjoy the album. :) 8/10
    Totally agree with this. I pre-ordered it a few weeks back and it arrived yesterday. I wasn't expecting anything "new" but it's a fun listen anyway, just simple, straight-up rock. Nothing wrong with that. :)

Going to see them in November and can't wait. Last time I saw them live, they were awesome.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3876
    This Ian Brown song. Never thought I'd get into him but:

• quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Airbourne's new album.
    But I still enjoy the album. :) 8/10

Super! I didn' realise they had a new one out, so will be giving that a few listens now.

Been listening to a lot of Gary Clark Jr,.

(sorry about the video, good song though!)

• Bach on a Linda Manzer guitar:

• Today, I have been mostly listening to... Joanne Shaw Taylor.

"She really knows how to wail" 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • I was given a nice 1972 pressing of The Slider by T.Rex - complete with "Susan 4 Wayne 4 Ever" lovehearts all over the sleeve. I thought the vinyl would be wrecked but after a quick clean it sounds fantastic. Great record.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• New Warpaint CD.   More goodness from the LA lasses.

Saw Fara (Four Orkney Lasses - 3 fiddles plus one on piano) last Saturday, who were really enjoyable.
     They were signing pre-release copies of their debut album, so I came home with a copy.
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 448
    Moth Into Flame by Metallica. Having previously written them off, I'm currently loving their latest song.

• The new Alter Bridge album.
    It's somewhat underwhelming, actually. 

I do love them. They're one of my favourite bands. But this seems a bit lacklustre. There's a handful of really great songs but overall, I think it could be better. They're definitely trying to be too radio friendly in some respects. 

What they got right, was very right and very enjoyable.
    Where they failed, they really failed.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9657
    edited October 2016
    Just bought the album 'Roadrunning' by Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris. Saw it on Amazon and thought I'd give it a go despite not really knowing much about MK's post Dire Straits work, or anything at all about EH. Bit more country than my usual taste, but is absolutely superb. Beautiful playing by Mr Knopfler, and the two voices complement each other really well. Oh, and some great songs too. Very pleased.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    edited October 2016
    HAL9000 said:
    Just bought the album 'Roadrunning' by Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris. Saw it on Amazon and thought I'd give it a go despite not really knowing much about MK's post Dire Straits work, or anything at all about EH. Bit more country than my usual taste, but is absolutely superb. Beautiful playing by Mr Knopfler, and the two voices complement each other really well. Oh, and some great songs too Very pleased.
    'If This Is Goodbye' is heartbreaking.

MK's writing remains exceptional to this day - his training as a journalist seems to have served his lyric writing well. I agree that musically he's drifted away from Dire Straits - but he seems capable of turning his hand to anything he chooses.

I've said this before - it's almost as if his success has eclipsed his talent - he became 'uncool' due to ubiquity - which is probably the least fair of any reason....
  • rashrash Frets: 38
    edited October 2016
    The Marcus King band - self titled 

Very good. Hes only a teenager but hes a great guitarist and has a good voice. Its produced by Warren Haynes, who has a guest appearance, as does Derek Trucks. The band has a r&b type rhythm section (think the Bar Kays / Motown) combined with some Allmanish guitar parts. Some songs are stronger than others but its a really impressive debut. Recommended. 

Playing Shoreditch Blues on the 26th of October. 

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Had another go at the Joe Bonamassa Muddy Wolf thing. Better than I thought from what I'd previously seen but it does my head in - it is very, very good guitar playing but without any feel for what he is covering compounded by his reedy vocals. I think if you want to hear someone with amazing chops ( technical term) then you'll enjoy it; if you want to hear a tribute to Muddy Waters and Howling Wolf look elsewhere.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3018
    edited October 2016

• MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3018
    edited October 2016
    Been listening to Blood Sugar Sex Magic and Californication all day, Frusciante is so good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490

Spotify recommended stuff throws me another band to dig into
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• Been listening to Blood Sugar Sex Magic and Californication all day, Frusciante is so good.
    Yes. Klinghoffer is not the same. Bring back Frusciante! 
  • rash said:
    The Marcus King band - self titled 

Very good. Hes only a teenager but hes a great guitarist and has a good voice. Its produced by Warren Haynes, who has a guest appearance, as does Derek Trucks. The band has a r&b type rhythm section (think the Bar Kays / Motown) combined with some Allmanish guitar parts. Some songs are stronger than others but its a really impressive debut. Recommended. 

Playing Shoreditch Blues on the 26th of October. 

Getting this soon....but just so you know,  this isn't their debut - that was called Soul Insight