Today, I have mostly been listening to ...

What's Hot

Comments

• ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 897
    edited February 2017
    But then I found this, and all was ok

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • And then things got even better.

• Zoolooter said:
    And then things got even better.

Nice - I've never heard of her before, but thats some good sh*t. Going to check some more out. Thanks @zoolooter
  • It's a killer tune, glad to pass it on. Some of her other stuff is good, but never gets to the heady heights of this track.
  • Yesterday I had to 'pop' to Bournemouth and back (from Birmingham), so plenty of tuneage, notably:

Therapy?'s latest - Disquiet
          Now, my Therapy?-loving mate HATES this album. He's wrong, it's a good, solid collection of tunes. No instant classic, granted, but it's OK for music to be Very Good even if it's not Great.

Rolling Stones - Blue and Lonesome
       Good sound, good choice of songs, Mick in fine form....but wtf is going on underneath?! Some of the "ancient art of weaving" just sounds like "playing randomly over each other" to me.

U2 - No Line on the Horizon
        Still find this a really interesting album, the lyrical approach is refreshingly different for Bono. I do think his vocals spoil some of the latter U2 records, though. It's long lost some quality I can't put my finger on but that it definitely used to have. Plus, and I haven't noticed this before, but he has a tendency to sing ahead of the music, which sounds lazy, like a first take - undisciplined, you could call it. And his voice is a tad too prominent in the mix for my taste.

Metallica - Hardwired to Self-Destruct.
        Didn't get to the end of this but...I like the sound of it, and it doesn't feel as forced as some of Geoff Magnetic....but still hardly a metal classic.

• Frank Marino Mahogany Rush Double Live. Been looking for stuff to stream off the Live Albums Discussion. Couple of other things that have been a bit meh but @BGG said this one and it's a pleasant surprise. First off I actually recognise a couple of the songs from somewhere in the back of my brain ( quick google : yes, I've Got Living was on the compilation Axe Attack which I had on cassette in 1980). Second, it's not all hippy, psychedelic sub Hendrix stuff as I'd imagined ( okay, there is some of that) and really rocks. Excellent. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24994
    Frank Marino Mahogany Rush Double Live. Been looking for stuff to stream off the Live Albums Discussion. Couple of other things that have been a bit meh but @BGG said this one and it's a pleasant surprise. First off I actually recognise a couple of the songs from somewhere in the back of my brain ( quick google : yes, I've Got Living was on the compilation Axe Attack which I had on cassette in 1980). Second, it's not all hippy, psychedelic sub Hendrix stuff as I'd imagined ( okay, there is some of that) and really rocks. Excellent. 
    I go through phases of being really into Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush.  The songs aren't really the greatest and I don't like it at all when he goes all Bo Diddley, but if I'm in the mood to hear crazy amounts of old-school rock lead guitar, he's very hard to beat.
  • The new Black Star Riders album is good. They get better with every album.

I'm half-way through Big Wreck's new one "Grace Street". 

And, I have to admit, I don't mind the new Nickelback single. Guess I'm going to get banned now hey... 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • Zoolooter said:

Thought that was Alvin Stardust at first! 
  • Los Straitjackets again but particularly this which combines three of my favourite things: ska ( sort of), surf music and Peanuts. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2778
    The new Black Star Riders album is good. They get better with every album.

Listening to that today as well. Quite impressed.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4153
    Splashh. Hoping to go and see them some time soon:

• TTonyTTony Frets: 28412
    Zoolooter said:

Nice @zoolooter - sometimes it takes someone to post something on here to remind me how good somestuff is - and why I should listen to it more often.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • The new Thunder album is my current obsession, it took over from the new Black Star Riders that I had on repeat. But I suppose I alternate the two, on repeat now. Here's the title track...

Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • The new Tinariwen album. Known about them for years but this is the first time I've given them a proper listen.

Deep grooves and hypnotic rhythms, it's superb.

• andypandyp Frets: 332
    I've just discovered Eric Gales... man this stuff is great!!!

His new album out this Friday got 5 stars in Total Guitar, the tracks I've heard are good but the earlier stuff I've been listening to today is more raw and rocky sounding. He seems to have a fair amount of stuff to check out. Superb.

andyp said:
    I've just discovered Eric Gales... man this stuff is great!!!

His new album out this Friday got 5 stars in Total Guitar, the tracks I've heard are good but the earlier stuff I've been listening to today is more raw and rocky sounding. He seems to have a fair amount of stuff to check out. Superb.

I only really know the first two Eric Gales Band albums he did with his brothers when he was still in his late teens.  The first one is really good.  I haven't kept up with anything he's done since apart from watching a few YouTube clips.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5406
    Philly_Q said:
    What do you think?

edited February 2017
    @Reverend ;  I really like it, but after four or five plays it was already starting to feel a bit over-familiar.  I'm definitely interested to hear the album!  By the way, I think I was listening to one of your band the other day.  Age of Taurus?