Today, I have mostly been listening to ...

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16654
    whoa - 

Apparently the vaults are full of Prince songs with extended solos, he would play them like that but felt they were commercially a bad idea so would only release the edits. 
    Really? I wonder what we'll get to hear......

Generally speaking long guitar solos leave me cold, but I find his playing so expressive that they really draw me in
    I was listening to an interview with (award winning author)Marlon James who is a Prince obsessive, got arrested for breaking in to Paisley Park IIRC, who was talking about all this stuff.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4099
    The National, "I Need My Girl"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    This alternative version of Layla....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VStaXEAHciM

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4099
    edited March 2017
    The Smithereens, "Especially For You"
    Sublime.
    Nothing fancy whatsoever.  Massive Beatles influence; Cheap Trick in there too.  Perfect UK meets US.
    Deeply unhip even back in the day.
    "Behind The Wall of Sleep" -- my fave and the tune in my head that got me playing this; whole album great.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24995
    Grunfeld said:

"Behind The Wall of Sleep" -- my fave and the tune in my head that got me playing this; whole album great.

That's a wonderful song, but for some reason I never bothered to listen to any of their other stuff.
  • MickeyjiMickeyji Frets: 108
    Andy Timmons and Neal Schon.  :)
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4491
    The XX - XX
    Zero 7 - Simple Things

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    The new KXM album.
    Dug Pinnick + George Lynch + KoRn's drummer = KXM

Love it. Check it out if you like King's X, or, are a fan of George Lynch, or if you love Rob Chappers (of Anderton's fame)'s band Dorje, then I think you'd enjoy it ;)
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Pretty hooked on Frank Carter and the Rattlesnakes over the last day or two. Really enjoying it.

More than a hint of Arctic Monkeys...
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1941

One I hadn't heard in a long, long time.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24995
    The new KXM album.

Love it. Check it out if you like King's X, or, are a fan of George Lynch, or if you love Rob Chappers (of Anderton's fame)'s band Dorje, then I think you'd enjoy it ;)
    It was sounding good... and then you killed it.

Sorry, I know that's a cheap shot.  And I don't want to turn this fine thread into a Chappers thread.
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11668
    I may not have liked most of what Heart have done, but some of their live Zeppelin covers are fantastic:

• Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2491
    Squarepusher Sunday for me

Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 897
    Off their last album, which was stunning. Don't get why it received average reviews.

• mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1101
    Zoolooter said:
    Off their last album, which was stunning. Don't get why it received average reviews.

I really enjoyed a lot of tracks from the album, mostly the ones at the beginning, There are some cracking tracks, no doubt. I found myself singing along to 'The Getaway' and 'Dark Necessities' after listen 2 I think. 

I think on this album Josh Kilinghoffer really established his own voice in the band, some fantastic lines, tones, and textures on here.

I really struggled with this line ups previous album, this is so much better.
    Philly_Q said:
    The new KXM album.

It was sounding good... and then you killed it.

Sorry, I know that's a cheap shot.  And I don't want to turn this fine thread into a Chappers thread.
    It just reminded me of the guitar work of Dorje in places (the heavier parts), if that makes sense. 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4153
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    IDLES - the band Slaves and Sleaford Mods wish they were

Stop crying, start buying
    I started out with Lower the Bar, the new album by Steel Panther.

Thoughts: that ship sailed long ago when the joke was funny, with the first album. They're still very talented musicians who are writing excellent songs musically with a lot of melodic quality. The lyrics are just shite. In terms of what was heard prior to the album release, the ones that weren't released as singles are the quality songs worth hearing. The guitar solo in "That's When You Came In" was a highlight for me. I won't be listening to this much other than the few songs I like from the last couple of albums I'll probably throw them into a playlist and that's about where this one ends for me I'm afraid. Still a great live band though!

Then, I moved on to the new Art of Anarchy album. If you don't know who they are, they were originally fronted by Scott Weiland before his untimely passing. Now they have Scott Stapp of Creed on board. 

Thoughts: with Stapp on board the sound of the band has changed quite drastically. In songs like Changed Man, The Madness, and No Surrender, Stapp is very much on home territory. On songs like Echo of a Scream, Stapp takes on a different tone and executes it well. Musically, the guitar work is solid and the drumming is brutal. After hearing the first single I was worried about this venture, but it hasn't disappointed. The balance of singles clearly made for the radio versus straight up brilliant songs that make the album worth a listen is spot on. I will be playing this on repeat for some time!
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1941
    Today I will mostly be listening to Jon Auer (Posies/Big Star), as he's playing a house concert at mine this evening!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....