Today, I have mostly been listening to ...

What's Hot

Comments

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3129
    Paul Stacey giving a great account of himself in my dream job. 

"A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    New LCD Soundsystem

New Slowdive

New At The Drive In

This has been a good day
    Stop crying, start buying
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    edited May 2017
    El Michels affair- Sounding out the city
    Isaac Hayes- Hot Buttered Soul
    We are getting Bad- The Sound of Phase One
    East West Paul Butterfield Blues band
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4153
    Moss said:
    New LCD Soundsystem

New Slowdive

New At The Drive In

This has been a good day
    Good tips these! I was looking for something for tonight so cheers.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16654
    I watched the new Classic Album on the iPlayer (I really hope there are more new ones to come) of Carly Simon's No Secrets.
    I've never really paid much attention to her before, that 1970s singer songwriter thing doesn't do much for me, but she had a great, great voice as well as a being a songwriter, skilled pianist and rather foxy as a young woman.
    The most interesting bit, for me,was the story behind the bass line at the beginning of You're So Vain, partly because I'd never realised before it was a bass (although I don't know what I thought it was)! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4153
    Cast's new album is great! I saw them a couple of weeks ago not expecting much and was impressed. Get on it if you fancy some easy listening.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24995
    edited May 2017
    I watched the new Classic Album on the iPlayer (I really hope there are more new ones to come) of Carly Simon's No Secrets.
    I've never really paid much attention to her before, that 1970s singer songwriter thing doesn't do much for me, but she had a great, great voice as well as a being a songwriter, skilled pianist and rather foxy as a young woman.
    The most interesting bit, for me,was the story behind the bass line at the beginning of You're So Vain, partly because I'd never realised before it was a bass (although I don't know what I thought it was)! 
    Same here - never figured out what instrument that was played on. My older sister had the album - I remember being strangely drawn to its cover in my youth.

There's a DVD my son had when he was little (Piglet's Big Movie) that featured Carly Simon (before the dodgy surgery) signing a song at the end. Even by that point, she still had it....
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16654
    Same here - never figured out what instrument that was played on. My older sister had the album - I remember being strangely drawn to its cover in my youth.

There's a DVD my son had when he was little (Piglet's Big Movie) that featured Carly Simon (before the dodgy surgery) signing a song at the end. Even by that point, she still had it....
    There was some discussion about the cover, the photographer was saying this was the seventies and he was used to going to love ins so he hadn't even noticed nipples through a jumper.
    I was born into the wrong time... :anguished: 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24995
    EricTheWeary said:
    There was some discussion about the cover, the photographer was saying this was the seventies and he was used to going to love ins so he hadn't even noticed nipples through a jumper.
    I was born into the wrong time... :anguished: 
    The nipples were always a stand out feature for me....
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3411
    The Sonic Executives - a "one off" album released in Japan.

Seems they've been listening to Jellyfish = The Beach Boys, The Beatles, 10CC, Supertramp.

Like it and they also remind me of The Feeling.

https://www.reverbnation.com/thesonicexecutivesessions

This prompted me to listen to a mate's album and this one track is in a similar vein (great lyrics and cleverly done)

• MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 3126
    edited May 2017
    Slowdive; not many bands have reformed after 20+ years and made music that matches their original output. Slowdive have done it. Has to be one of the finest albums of the last decade.

Chris Stapleton.  I'm not a fan of Country music. But his new album sounds so good. Country without the cheese, with a dose of blues. Hell of a voice too. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30115
    Restorations, who aren't at all what I'd think I'd like if you described them to me. Strangely I first heard them on a Rosetta joint release; they are nothing like Rosetta.

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • BarriveeBarrivee Frets: 100
    I imported this recently. Can't stop playing it.

• andypandyp Frets: 332
    edited May 2017
    Pretty sure I was recommended them by someone on here, but a couple of weeks ago I found the Sasquatch albums I saved to my phone a while back. I didn't remember much about them so gave them a listen through and have pretty much been listening to them at every opportunity for the last week or so now. Awesome stuff!

• HoofHoof Frets: 562
    Elder. I Stumbled across this cover of Voodoo Chile while looking for snippets from their new album.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • wayneiriewayneirie Frets: 419
    Sehorns soul farm
    staple singers (gospel stuff rather than the stax sides)
    blind willie johnson.
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    I've been listening to the new Snakecharmer album. 
    Wait til the riff kicks in. Can anyone name the AC/DC song that the main riff sounds like a blatant rip off of? ;) 

Still, a really great album (their second). Singer has a great voice, the songs are delightfully melodic and I really love the singles from the album that were put on iTunes prior to its release (especially That Kind of Love). 

Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    Hmmm. I'm hearing "Big Gun" but not quite...

They sound worth a listen.
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723

• Placidcasual79Placidcasual79 Frets: 1042
    Moss said:
    New LCD Soundsystem

Its really very good isn't it? But that should be no surprise. 

I've also been listening to Father John Misty's incredible new record, Charles Hayward and a Time and Space Machine remix ep. 

As soon as I get paid I'd be getting POND's new album and also a Gorilaz remix (dub) remix record I've inexplicably just found called Liaka come home.