Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Quite Interesting..

What's Hot

Comments

• Emp_Fab said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    A great free app for driving is TomTom Speed Cameras; https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tomtom.speedcams.android.map&hl=en_GB

Shows you the current speed limit, your speed, can warn you if you exceed it, warns you of cameras and you can report any mobile ones.  Also warns you of traffic jams ahead (saved my arse a couple of times that has, as instead of coming around the corner at 70 to find stationary traffic, I've already slowed down.  
    If you can't notice these situations by yourself I'd make it mandatory to retake the driving test. 
    Have you never been confronted with all the motorway traffic suddenly coming to a halt and had to brake ?  Having advance warning of this is a good safety feature.  Perhaps you could do without having brakes at all, because, obviously, if you can't predict a situation where you need to slow down by going through the gears first then it ought to be mandatory for you to retake your driving test.  The speed camera thing is good too..  
    Yes I have, but I tend to be way back watching it all happen as I've had it drilled into me through my job. if you're relying on an app to warn you of stationary traffic on a motorway then you really aren't paying attention to what you're doing. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25495
    Ah, so you're special are you ?  You have the ability to see through the cars, lorries and vans in front of you so you know the traffic ahead has suddenly slowed down because of an accident ?  That's some skill you have.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe said:
    Glass is permanently viscous - is why really old window glass is thicker at the bottom than the top
    That is also true of my ex-wife....
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_Fab said:
    Ah, so you're special are you ?  You have the ability to see through the cars, lorries and vans in front of you so you know the traffic ahead has suddenly slowed down because of an accident ?  That's some skill you have.
    Yes, by leaving enough space between me and the vehicle in front to see what's happening way ahead. If you can't see what's happening past the vehicle in front you're way too close. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • Quite interesting 

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25495
    Emp_Fab said:
    Yes, by leaving enough space between me and the vehicle in front to see what's happening way ahead. If you can't see what's happening past the vehicle in front you're way too close. 
    You don't have bends on the motorways you drive on then ?  Or are you driving from the top deck of a bus or something ?

I'm talking about situations where you're driving along a flat motorway in busy traffic, and you cannot see "way ahead", or when you exit a bend and are suddenly presented with rapidly slowing traffic.  It's very helpful to have advance warning that you are about to encounter stationary traffic.   You sound like my sister in law when I was driving at night up dangerous mountain roads in Spain - hairpin bends with sheer drops.  I was asking Mrs Fab to keep an eye on the sat-nav to warn me of any sharp bends approaching - as an EXTRA precaution - because I was not going to take my eyes off the road, even though I was crawling along at a snail's pace.  Her sister was shouting at me because she somehow believed that I was relying on what the sat-nav was showing and wanted me to switch it off.  Bizarre logic.  You appear to be of the same mindset.  I no more rely on the app warning me of stationary traffic ahead than a pilot relies on the Ground Proximity Warning System.  It's an EXTRA precaution.

By your logic, the aircraft doesn't even need a GPWS because "if the pilot was flying properly, he would make sure he never got too close to the ground".
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4898
    Motorways are named after the A road they replace rather than in numeric sequence.
    Although the A roads are in a numeric sequence going from A1 - north, A2 - east, A3 - south, A4 - west, and all the other roads are numbered in relation to this.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 5059
    edited December 2016
    rlw said:
    Motorways are named after the A road they replace rather than in numeric sequence.
    Although the A roads are in a numeric sequence going from A1 - north, A2 - east, A3 - south, A4 - west, and all the other roads are numbered in relation to this.
    ... and they are always usually numbered clockwise from the trunk road, e.g. A66 runs clockwise from A6, etc.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Finnair operates a daily flight 666 to HEL.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    Fretwired said:
    Finnair operates a daily flight 666 to HEL.
    And logically they also operate flights out of HEL too... 
  • Emp_Fab said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    You don't have bends on the motorways you drive on then ?  Or are you driving from the top deck of a bus or something ?

I'm talking about situations where you're driving along a flat motorway in busy traffic, and you cannot see "way ahead", or when you exit a bend and are suddenly presented with rapidly slowing traffic.  It's very helpful to have advance warning that you are about to encounter stationary traffic.   You sound like my sister in law when I was driving at night up dangerous mountain roads in Spain - hairpin bends with sheer drops.  I was asking Mrs Fab to keep an eye on the sat-nav to warn me of any sharp bends approaching - as an EXTRA precaution - because I was not going to take my eyes off the road, even though I was crawling along at a snail's pace.  Her sister was shouting at me because she somehow believed that I was relying on what the sat-nav was showing and wanted me to switch it off.  Bizarre logic.  You appear to be of the same mindset.  I no more rely on the app warning me of stationary traffic ahead than a pilot relies on the Ground Proximity Warning System.  It's an EXTRA precaution.

By your logic, the aircraft doesn't even need a GPWS because "if the pilot was flying properly, he would make sure he never got too close to the ground".
     I think you've missed the point. Motorway, dual carriageway or local streets if you don't have enough space in front you can't see ahead. If you can't see ahead then your going to be one of the people jumping on the brakes and being a part of the rapidly slowing traffic. 

Use your app all you want but I'd rather be trained in defensive driving. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 32371
    Emp_Fab said:
    Emp_Fab said:

I know people (men, especially) are as likely to admit they're doing things wrong behind the wheel as they are to admit they have no sense of humour but seriously mate, you're tailgating. 

• One of the best pieces of driving advice I was given is to assume other drivers are idiots. That way you're always prepared ;)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• One of the best pieces of driving advice I was given is to assume other drivers people are idiots. That way you're always prepared ;)
    FTFY
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5730
    Girls are born with all the eggs they will ever produce, therefore the egg that made you was actually made by your grandmother.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3756
    DiscoStu said:
    Girls are born with all the eggs they will ever produce, therefore the egg that made you was actually made by your grandmother.
    How dya work that one out then? That's all very Norfolk.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    The egg came first, not the chicken.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WezVWezV Frets: 17462
    Emp_Fab said:
    WezV said:

I must be missing something.  How does the scale know what liquid you are measuring?

and I would say a 6% variance in measurement would be okay for 99.9% or recipes.... since most rely on things as inaccurate as a tsp or a "large egg"
    It doesn't - of course.  My post was about measuring volume of liquids when cooking - which in 99% of circumstances is going to be water or a solution / emulsion / colloid that is 90+% water.  So it works fine.  Obviously it doesn't work if you are trying to measure liquids that aren't water, or almost completely water.   If you are trying to measure out a litre of say, molten lead, then it's going to weigh a tad more than 1Kg.  Likewise, a litre of liquid Hydrogen is going to weigh just 70g, but if you're using normal cooking liquids - water, stock, etc then it works perfectly.  If not, I'm not coming around your house for dinner.

I know that

you cut off the bit where @octatonic said he switches the scale to ml to measure engine oil because if he left it on grams he gets the wrong amount..

but surely if the scale is calibrated to water he would get the same amount in grams or ml

• vizviz Frets: 11024
    edited December 2016
    The moon doesn't just "pull an egg-shaped bulge of water around the earth" on its nearside, thus causing the tides - otherwise there'd be one high tide every 24 hours, whereas in fact there are two. There must be another bulge of water on the other side of the earth from the moon. As the Earth spins, this double bulge stays stationary with respect to the moon, and causes a high tide to pass each shore twice every 24 hours. But what could possibly be causing that farside bulge?

It occurs because the earth is orbiting the moon in the same way that the moon is orbiting the earth (it's just that the centre of orbit happens to lie within the earth's sphere so it comes across as more of a wobble than an orbit); that far bulge is water wanting to be flung off due to centripetal force caused by the earth 'orbiting' the moon in this way; the centripetal force exceeds the gravitational force of the moon - though earth's gravity prevents the water from leaving the earth altogether. The near bulge occurs because water that's closer to the moon is affected more by the moon's gravity than this centripetal force, so it's drawn towards the moon. Low tides are between the bulges, where the forces are approximately equal. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74391
    viz said:

It occurs because the earth is orbiting the moon in the same way that the moon is orbiting the earth (it's just that the centre of orbit happens to lie within the earth's sphere so it comes across as more of a wobble than an orbit)
    A good illustration of this is a hammer-thrower. As he spins, both he and the hammer 'orbit' their common centre of gravity which is usually around the front of his body.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein