Marshal Ms 2

What's Hot
I got this Amplifier for my birthday a few years back and it it one of the best amplifiers for on the go to any destination since it is very portable. i named it mini marshal as it is really small

Some good things about this amplifier is that first it sounds very clean and it is loud so you gig with this amp (as long as you don't have a drummer so you can hear the amplifier)

some bad things about it is that its distortion does sound a bit boxy so it isn't the greatest with distortion but it isn't the worst.

Overall this Amplifier is great value for money and i would recommend it to anyone

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062
    Mate, unless you're Action Man, you can't gig with an MS2.  
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    Eugene Reynolds from The Rezillos used to gig with an MS-2, possibly still does.

OK, he had the headphone output connected to the input of a 50W Marshall combo :) - but that characteristic buzzsaw distortion is from the MS-2. (No idea what he used back in the early days - some sort of fuzz pedal probably.)

I had one years ago that I fitted with an extension speaker jack so I could run it through a 4x12". Still probably not quite enough to gig with, but impressively loud and full-sounding for such a tiny thing.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDavies said:
    Mate, unless you're Action Man, you can't gig with an MS2.  
    Mate you can if you are on your own  =)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I made a cardboard Les Paul and had an Action Man stand with my MS2 for years. The plan was to dress him like Slash, but I was never any good with needle and thread
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Eugene Reynolds from The Rezillos used to gig with an MS-2, possibly still does.

OK, he had the headphone output connected to the input of a 50W Marshall combo :) - but that characteristic buzzsaw distortion is from the MS-2. (No idea what he used back in the early days - some sort of fuzz pedal probably.)

I had one years ago that I fitted with an extension speaker jack so I could run it through a 4x12". Still probably not quite enough to gig with, but impressively loud and full-sounding for such a tiny thing.
    Can you share this mod for MS2 please ?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    JMP220478 said:

Can you share this mod for MS2 please ?
    I drilled a hole in the back panel and fitted a switched jack in the connection to the speaker. You have to be very careful where you position it so it doesn't hit the speaker magnet, but it can be done with a standard Marshall-style Cliff black plastic one if you don't put the washer on the inside.

If you don't want to do that and never use the headphone jack - which sounds terrible for headphones anyway - you could modify the PCB on the side jack to bypass pad resistor and remove the contact to the ring terminal (by desoldering the connection and carefully scraping away the edge of the hole so it can't touch the pin), that way it becomes an extension speaker jack.

By the way, the schematic available online is wrong because it shows the resistor in series between the amp's output cap and the jack switch, whereas it's between the jack switch and the contacts.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein