Heritage Golden Eagle

What's Hot
WillEdmundsWillEdmunds Frets: 168
edited December 2016 in Guitar
Being unable to afford an actual L-5 this looks like a great option! Not sure about the black plastic pickup though. Is it a floating pickup or could it be replaced with a humbucker or possibly even P90? 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HERITAGE-GOLDEN-EAGLE-GUITAR-OHSC-1991-/272480011705?hash=item3f711305b9:g:Tf8AAOSwqrtWpmY6
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1649
    edited December 2016
    It's a floating pickup, you could probably replace it with a Dogear P90 but there might be gaps. 

The other Eagle models are closer to what you want. 
  • Secondhand Heritage guitars can be great value for money. If you prefer one with Humbuckers set in the Body of the guitar, then the H-575 is a good option.
  • That blonde finish is pretty damn sexy
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    all solid woods - hand built - carved top - very nice if that is what you want - More of an old school  traditional jazz box - Something like a 175 is more versatile to play pop/swing/blues/rock a billy etc - very well priced at £2500 - but only you can determine if it is for you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Will, it's a bit strange but i think i used to own this guitar - sold/traded via Pat at 'Guitar Collective', who then sold it on for me.
    I can't quite make out the serial number from the eBay pics but the guitar i had had a E013XX (1988) serial number....it also had two pickguards (one with and one without a p'up - the p'up was floating and not fixed).

These are superb value for money and equivalent to a Gibson L-5 in every way. If you have the cash then buy it and flaunt it !
  • It's a floating pickup, you could probably replace it with a Dogear P90 but there might be gaps. 

The other Eagle models are closer to what you want. 
    Yeah although finding another used one is near impossible. In terms of sounds I think the floating pup will be great as I need a good 'acoustic' tone for the old school swing stuff. I just don't like the look of the black plastic pickup - gold would look so much better! There might be another floating pup model I could change it for...
  • all solid woods - hand built - carved top - very nice if that is what you want - More of an old school  traditional jazz box - Something like a 175 is more versatile to play pop/swing/blues/rock a billy etc - very well priced at £2500 - but only you can determine if it is for you
    Old school jazz box is what I need! I like the simplicity of a single neck pickup. It's either this buying this or an original 1956 ES175 with single neck P90 (for another £700)....
  • sm55onl said:
    Will, it's a bit strange but i think i used to own this guitar - sold/traded via Pat at 'Guitar Collective', who then sold it on for me.
    I can't quite make out the serial number from the eBay pics but the guitar i had had a E013XX (1988) serial number....it also had two pickguards (one with and one without a p'up - the p'up was floating and not fixed).

These are superb value for money and equivalent to a Gibson L-5 in every way. If you have the cash then buy it and flaunt it !
    Interesting. Yeah L5s are so incredibly expensive and this seems to share some of the pedigree. I will have to get myself to Wales to try it!
  • Secondhand Heritage guitars can be great value for money. If you prefer one with Humbuckers set in the Body of the guitar, then the H-575 is a good option.
    I briefly owned an H575. Sold it because I wasn't playing enough jazz at the time. I prefer the single pickup venetian cutaway design of this. I would never use a bridge pickup on an archtop!
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15430
    tFB Trader
    all solid woods - hand built - carved top - very nice if that is what you want - More of an old school  traditional jazz box - Something like a 175 is more versatile to play pop/swing/blues/rock a billy etc - very well priced at £2500 - but only you can determine if it is for you
    Old school jazz box is what I need! I like the simplicity of a single neck pickup. It's either this buying this or an original 1956 ES175 with single neck P90 (for another £700)....
    Tough choice - I love P90's - I play more 40-60's blend of jazz/swing/blues/rock n roll so the ES175 is more for me - But that Golden Eagle should be very nice - More traditional Wes Montgomery land - Will sound more authentic as well when played unplugged - that single floating p/up will be okay at sensible amp levels, but as soon as you play in a louder combo it will cause you feedback issues
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6464
    How do you know the floating pickup is bad ?  Might be sublime .....
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Jalapeno said:
    It's purely cosmetic TBH mate. Don't like the black plastic vibe...
  • WezVWezV Frets: 17500
    Jalapeno said:
    It's purely cosmetic TBH mate. Don't like the black plastic vibe...

Pretend its ebony ;)
  • Kent Armstrong do nice Jazz Pickups in Gold, get a sidemount and stick it to the pickguard.