Will foam hold a guitar? (More indepth inside)

Afternoon, Merry Christmas!

I hope you're all having a great day, I just want to ask. I want to get a foam board that will hold my guitar on the wall, it's a Les Paul Epiphone
This is the foam I would like to use: http://www.cutplasticsheeting.co.uk/pvc-foamex-board/black-foamex-matt-finish.html

Of course, the size is changed specifically, will this foam be able to hold up a guitar hook and a guitar?

For the record, my guitar weighs 4.5 Kg. And the hook weighs 281 g.
Do you think that it would be able to hold?
Thanks in advance, if you don't think that it can hold, then would you be able to recommend a material that isn't completely over expensive.

This entire ordeal is purely aesthetics and finally, if this is in the wrong section I apologise. This is my first post. Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    At only 3mm thick I would think probably not, unless you put some kind of bearer/load-distribution plate (eg plywood, probably at least 6mm) behind it and bolt the hanger through both pieces.

It also depends on how it's mounted and how closely spaced the battens it's attached to are - and how far the hanger holds the guitar away from the wall since that will alter the twisting force on the mounts.

Sorry, not a straightforward answer I know!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    At only 3mm thick I would think probably not, unless you put some kind of bearer/load-distribution plate (eg plywood, probably at least 6mm) behind it and bolt the hanger through both pieces.

It also depends on how it's mounted and how closely spaced the battens it's attached to are - and how far the hanger holds the guitar away from the wall since that will alter the twisting force on the mounts.

Sorry, not a straightforward answer I know!
    Thanks a lot, I shall be looking into buying some wood along with the foam, much appreciated.