2017 Injury club.

What's Hot

Comments

• mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    5.2 miles last night off road with 750ft of hills. Managed to dodge the rain but ground very muddy. Great fun!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    10k in 58:17 which I'm pretty pleased with 

333km for the year now
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34307
    Some holiday running.

3rd Aug 747km + 6km = 753km
    4th Aug  753km + 9km = 762km

Tomorrow I shall run in Sorrento.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    5th Aug  762km + 8km = 770km
  • Better effort this week. 
    702 +6 +12=720
    The 12k today took me 50mins... Meaning I must have been going at a fair pace. (Sub 42mins for the 10k in the middle). 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    10k in 58:17 which I'm pretty pleased with 

333km for the year now

Went out and did another 10k today and managed to get down to 56:35 BOOM!

343k for the year now.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2778
    Done 111km this year, but 52km of those in the last 30 days. I have really enjoyed running in the (relative) heat this year, I used to run in the evenings to avoid it. Do you guys prefer running when hotter or colder? I only tend to do about 6km/run so nothing particularly long..
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    quarky said:
    Done 111km this year, but 52km of those in the last 30 days. I have really enjoyed running in the (relative) heat this year, I used to run in the evenings to avoid it. Do you guys prefer running when hotter or colder? I only tend to do about 6km/run so nothing particularly long..
    I used to think I didn't mind the heat, and I don't really, but I went out last night and it was overcast and breezy to begin with, which was great. I REALLY noticed the change in temp when the clouds cleared and the sun was beating down on me (so did the dog)...I don't mind running in the wet, except for the extra faff that comes with it (having to dry everything out and feeling REALLY cold when you get home).

Running when it's really warm is energy sapping though! 

7 miles last night to run off the excess eating/drinking I did at the weekend. Shins felt fine and I felt fine over all - and would have gone for another lap, but the dog was absolutely knackered after a weekend of trying to fend off being tortured by an 11 week old puppy lol, so stopped at 7. Going to increase that to at least 8 this coming weekend. 

Also, another slow, hard 3 miles this morning. Shins were really feeling it, so took it easy. Day off tomorrow, then 5km runs Wed-Fri, day off Sat and a long run sunday afternoon when I'm back from marshalling the Cotswold Mid-distance tri. 
    6th Aug  770km + 5km = 775km
    7th Aug  775km + 5km = 780km

Fucking hot here.
    These runs are brutal.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3827
    7 miles this morning.

I find around 12 degrees is the perfect temperature for running.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    8th Aug  780km + 5km = 785km
    In Positano now, even hotter, was 38 today.
    I am having a rest day tomorrow.
    3.3 miles this morning - 7miles for the week so far. 121 miles YTD. Although I only really started running in earnest in May, some of the numbers some of you are putting up (@octatonic I'm looking in your general direction) are absolutely unbelievable! 

joneve said:
    3.3 miles this morning - 7miles for the week so far. 121 miles YTD. Although I only really started running in earnest in May, some of the numbers some of you are putting up (@octatonic I'm looking in your general direction) are absolutely unbelievable! 

Er, depends on what you mean by unbelievable as to how I will take this... :)

I've actually been slacking a bit lately, life and having a wife with a broken leg has been getting in the way of the running.

mcdan and fields are covering much further distances than I am- I think mcdan is over 2000km so far this year. I'm just doing a running total because I have a goal of 1200 km by the end of the year.

Today is a rest day, it is already 36 degrees here. I'll swim some laps instead.
    I'm not feeling the running at the moment, but will try to get out at lunchtime.
    octatonic said:
    joneve said:

Er, depends on what you mean by unbelievable as to how I will take this... :)

I've actually been slacking a bit lately, life and having a wife with a broken leg has been getting in the way of the running.

mcdan and fields are covering much further distances than I am- I think mcdan is over 2000km so far this year. I'm just doing a running total because I have a goal of 1200 km by the end of the year.

Today is a rest day, it is already 36 degrees here. I'll swim some laps instead.
    although I work in miles, anything over a couple of hundred for the year is impressive. My target is to get to 300 before the end of the year. 500 would be great, but I fear I'll cut back when the weather gets really bad. 
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    7 mile tempo run Monday (2 warmup, 3 tempo, 2 cool down). Easy 5.1 miles trail yesterday. 6.9 miles trail this morning doing long hills reps (approx 800ft over 2 sets x 4 reps). 19.2m so far this week with 2 good training sessions. Back to Back long runs coming up the weekend (30 + 20). On for a good week!

1047m/1684km
    mcsdan said:
    7 mile tempo run Monday (2 warmup, 3 tempo, 2 cool down). Easy 5.1 miles trail yesterday. 6.9 miles trail this morning doing long hills reps (approx 800ft over 2 sets x 4 reps). 19.2m so far this week with 2 good training sessions. Back to Back long runs coming up the weekend (30 + 20). On for a good week!

1047m/1684km
    Awesome work sir! 
    Anyone got any experience with shin splits/pains and remedies that help?

I don't get a stabbing pain, more of a throbbing pain if I run a lot in a short space of time. IE I ran 7 miles Sunday afternoon (previous run was friday when they hurt a bit), and my legs were fine the whole way round.

Went out for a really slow/gentle 3 miles monday morning and the throbbing/pain in my shins was definitely noticeable. Day off yesterday and another 3 miles today and although I can run through the pain as it's not that bad, it's definitely noticeably throbbing when I run, but basically stops when I start walking again. 
    5 miles at lunch.

I did get shin pain once, when I was following a running plan that basically told me to run too slowly on my long run. It takes fitness of course, but I find that niggles disappear when you can run with a more or less "natural" gait. It was all about as much relaxation as possible during the running cycle.
    5 miles at lunch.

I did get shin pain once, when I was following a running plan that basically told me to run too slowly on my long run. It takes fitness of course, but I find that niggles disappear when you can run with a more or less "natural" gait. It was all about as much relaxation as possible during the running cycle.
    yea, I'm just wondering whether my legs just need to get used to running more often (4-5 times a week as opposed to 2-3)...I've currently got no other issues *touches wood*, so will just play it by ear. Last thing I want is to be injured for the half marathon, but want to start increasing the distances. over the next few weeks if I can.