2017 Injury club.

What's Hot

Comments

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3827
    joneve said:
    5 miles at lunch.

I did get shin pain once, when I was following a running plan that basically told me to run too slowly on my long run. It takes fitness of course, but I find that niggles disappear when you can run with a more or less "natural" gait. It was all about as much relaxation as possible during the running cycle.
    yea, I'm just wondering whether my legs just need to get used to running more often (4-5 times a week as opposed to 2-3)...I've currently got no other issues *touches wood*, so will just play it by ear. Last thing I want is to be injured for the half marathon, but want to start increasing the distances. over the next few weeks if I can. 
    Yes that could have something to do with it, but also could be too much tension in the shins.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    joneve said:
    5 miles at lunch.

I did get shin pain once, when I was following a running plan that basically told me to run too slowly on my long run. It takes fitness of course, but I find that niggles disappear when you can run with a more or less "natural" gait. It was all about as much relaxation as possible during the running cycle.
    yea, I'm just wondering whether my legs just need to get used to running more often (4-5 times a week as opposed to 2-3)...I've currently got no other issues *touches wood*, so will just play it by ear. Last thing I want is to be injured for the half marathon, but want to start increasing the distances. over the next few weeks if I can. 
    Yes that could have something to do with it, but also could be too much tension in the shins.
    How does one relieve such tension? (Sorry if that's a ridiculous question!) 
    joneve said:
    joneve said:
    5 miles at lunch.

How does one relieve such tension? (Sorry if that's a ridiculous question!) 

Well, I'm no expert, but I guess it's about body posture first and foremost - lean forwards too much and it follows that you will be lifting your toes too much and not relaxing the foot and lower leg when they're off the floor. So I guess just watch for tension in that region, and try to relax it when off the floor. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 59.1 km + 5.8 km + 6.1 km + 8.1km = 79.1 km

I haven't posted on here for a bit.  It's been years since I ran over 8 km and today was the day I broke that streak of inactivity. One again I just kept going, in full Forrest mode.  If I didn't have work to get to tonight I would have been happy to bang out a couple of more Kms.

I've done 8kms, maybe I should push to 5 miles. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    59.1 km + 5.8 km + 6.1 km + 8.1km = 79.1 km

I haven't posted on here for a bit.  It's been years since I ran over 8 km and today was the day I broke that streak of inactivity. One again I just kept going, in full Forrest mode.  If I didn't have work to get to tonight I would have been happy to bang out a couple of more Kms.

Amazing effort mate! It's a great feeling when you feel like you can just keep going! 

Another 3.1m/5km for me this morning. Shins still sore, want to try and do another 5km tomorrow morning (mostly because a mate of mine is depending on me!) , then rest for a few days. Might sack off my scheduled long run on Sunday afternoon as I'm marshalling at a triathlon all morning from 6am til 1pm, so will be on my feet for aaaages, but will see how I feel. 
    7 miles this morning.
    Yea, but I'll look ridiculous, won't I? ;) 

In all seriousness, thanks! I have thought whether compression socks would help. Going to try some insoles too, as my wife had bad shins playing netball, but the issues went away when she got some arch support insoles.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4903
    joneve said:
    Yea, but I'll look ridiculous, won't I? ;) 

In all seriousness, thanks! I have thought whether compression socks would help. Going to try some insoles too, as my wife had bad shins playing netball, but the issues went away when she got some arch support insoles.

You'll look amazing, just like me. 

Shin splints covers a few different injuries and I tried everything, but so far things have been much better with the socks.

They basically stop your calf moving and I think that was the issue for me, when the muscle is relaxed between foot strikes the movement causes some kind of tugging on the shin bone, these socks keep everything tight and never fall down.

I may be wrong, the issue could have just got better on it's own but it's worth a try for a tenner and you will look special in these.....

"Special" indeed!
  • Well my first C25K session wasn't bad, it wasn't fun, but it wasn't bad.  Saying that I covered 1.3 miles in the time.

I've only got to do one more session then I can stop. 

Now time for breakfast. 

That was me on the 24th May.  I feel like so much more physically capable.  Thank you guys for your advice and support. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34307
    Another rest day because it is 38 degrees here.
    Heat should cool off in a day or so and I can get back to it.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18304
    tFB Trader
    59.1 km + 5.8 km + 6.1 km + 8.1km = 79.1 km

Superb, well done!
    6 miles tonight. Planned to do 9 but after being up since 5 and on my feet for over 6 hours marshalling the Cotswold Classic triathlon today, my legs were super tired. Getting out for 3 miles or so tomorrow though so keeping the legs ticking over. 
  • 720+20=740k. Slightly behind this month, I've got some catching up to do. 
    Forgot about Monday's run - 5km/3.1miles. 

More of the same tonight, hopefully the shins hold up! 
    Running is still crap. I did 7 miles yesterday and felt pretty rough. No running today.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34307
    Some final holiday runs that I didn't log.

12th Aug  785km + 7km = 792km
    13th Aug  792km + 9km = 801km
    14th Aug  801km + 5km = 806km
    15th Aug  806km + 6km = 812km

and today back home in the UK with my new doggy aka running buddy.

16th Aug  812km + 8km = 820km
    octatonic said:
    Some final holiday runs that I didn't log.

12th Aug  785km + 7km = 792km
    13th Aug  792km + 9km = 801km
    14th Aug  801km + 5km = 806km
    15th Aug  806km + 6km = 812km

and today back home in the UK with my new doggy aka running buddy.

16th Aug  812km + 8km = 820km
    I'm so annoyed I didn't start running with ours sooner (which my wife has great pleasure in telling me "I told you so")...Absolute game changer, as it kills two birds with one stone. I have to walk the dog anyway, so might as well run at the same time...she's still a bit reluctant to run with me on the lead as it means she can't stop and sniff every 5 seconds -_- but once we get to the safer off-lead bit I just do laps of the field whilst she does her own thing and trots along with me in my general proximity.
    I have taken my dog running off lead, but the little bugger lives food poo so I have to be a bit careful!