Spraying a guitar

What's Hot
So I am about to spray a guitar body I have stripped.

Is there any issue with using a primer and some type of car body spray?

I dont really want to use nitro, I would be happier with a poly-esque finish, something that wont rub thin/away

any suggestions?
The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16949
    you can, but if you are using halfords style rattle cans it will stay soft for an eternity and still sink like nitro does.   they are also harder to spray consistently due to  high build and poor nozzles.   rothko and frost or manc guitar tech nitro are worth their weight in gold for the rattle can sprayer
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Nitro it is I guess :-(

on a plus side I have read it is easier to work with and its easier to get a good finish.

Thanks Wez
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Doddle to get off too when it all goes a bit wrong.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    'If' it all goes wrong.. ;)
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    usedtobe;144262" said:
    'If' it all goes wrong.. ;)
    Nah mate, it's a 'when' in my shed. ;)
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    +1 for the Manchester guitar tech stuff. You can get quite a nice matte effect with it too. The guy is also really helpful.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3964
    I've bought some cracking rattle cans in the past from my local motor factors, ones with very decent nozzles that give you a small fan as opposed to a spot/blob. One tip: always warm the can in hand hot water before spraying, the paint will atomise more efficiently.
  • Awesome tips guys thanks very much.

Lets hope it all turns out well. 

• WezVWezV Frets: 16949
    yeah, i do the hot water thing.   2 cans of the same colour in a tub of hot water, don't spray for more than 60 seconds with each tin and keep swapping 
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851
    Deadman said:
    always warm the can in hand hot water before spraying
    Always did this when using cans, still warm my paint since switching to a gun, essential in my eyes, Paint sprays much flatter and evenly from a can when warm. I used to warm it to a nice temp then instead of putting the can back into water keep it in your pocket to maintain the warmth, Gonad area worked best.
    Not tried that method but a handy one to remember! I've just got my hands on a Devillbiss GTI Pro gravity fed set up so I'm spoilt and don't have to go the rattle can route anymore thankfully. It's still good fun though. I had to blow in a bit of gold the other day and just picked up a can of plastikoat rather than buy some basecoat. It worked really well and would work on a guitar I'm sure.
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851
    Deadman said:
    Not tried that method but a handy one to remember! I've just got my hands on a Devillbiss GTI Pro gravity fed set up so I'm spoilt and don't have to go the rattle can route anymore thankfully. It's still good fun though. I had to blow in a bit of gold the other day and just picked up a can of plastikoat rather than buy some basecoat. It worked really well and would work on a guitar I'm sure.
    I too am using a gravity fed gun, but still warm my paint...mix it in a measured cup then cap it and stand it in very warm water.
    There's nothing wrong with that, I'd recommend it to anyone. I've got access to a spray booth so don't bother. I'd never use paint that's come in from the cold, all the same. It always comes in the day before, whatever I'm spraying.
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12457
    rustoleum from B&q is good, Ive used it in the past without issue, I used a satin finish Ivory about £8 a can
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • The only thing from my personal experience is I have had far more faulty (or ones which develop faults) Rustoleum cans than Plastikote.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.